Notices
Silverado SS, Joe Gibbs Editions, SSR Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body | News

What if GM made a new SS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 11:35 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely a RCSB AWD with an LSA 6.2L Supercharged, a 6l80e trans, and a 14 bolt with 3.73 gears. If they can afford to do it to the new ZL1 Camaro, they can afford to put it in an SS truck! I'd bet they'd sell!
Old 02-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason I started this post is because I will be looking into getting a new truck in a couple years, and I would love to have a performance version. And I was just wondering what you guys thought.

I think I would be happy if the next generation Silverado/Sierra offer the 6.2L (or similar engine)over a wider range of models and packages. Right now its hard to find a 6.2 Chevy. I do searches all the time at multiple dealerships around the area and I would say that less than 10% of all the Silverados or Sierras have the 6.2. This is completely opposite of Dodge and Toyota. If you do a search for 1500 Dodges usually around 75-80% of them are HEMIs and the Same is true with the 5.7L in the Toyota.

Right now when it comes to V8s the 4.8L is the base engine and the 5.3 is the “performance” engine and the 6.2 is some crazy special edition that you can hardly find. I would love to see GM drop the 4.8L. and Make the 5.3 the base engine and the 6.2 the next option and make it much more available like the HEMI.

I think the LSA would be an awesome engine for Chevy to drop into a new SS. Its already an engine that exists, but I would be to afraid that the price of an LSA powered truck with brembos, and an appearance package would be a little to expensive for my budget
Old 02-09-2012, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Gm would slap the **** out of it with the TQ Management Hammer, and prolly lock it lol
Old 02-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Staging Lane

does it even matter. Even IF gm does put one out, people will still not think its enough, and they will either A. bash it, say **** it and build a regular truck to be better/faster. or B. make the necessary changes to fit their taste and desires.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chpspecial
does it even matter. Even IF gm does put one out, people will still not think its enough, and they will either A. bash it, say **** it and build a regular truck to be better/faster. or B. make the necessary changes to fit their taste and desires.
Exactly..You can build a regular cab L92 setup with a 4L80 for cheaper than you can buy a new HEMI or the new Toyota. GM has great platforms to start with for sure. The only reason they would need another SS model is so someone without much know-how and a nice pockebook could have a semi quick truck. Which I dont see happening. The Silverado SS and Trailblazer SS sold like crazy..yes..I just dont see it happening again.

Even if they did it'd probably be a L92 6.2 with a 4L60 and limited slip
Old 02-10-2012, 03:38 PM

6.2 with or without charger,6l80E,3.73 or 4.10's,duel buckets,center console,RCSB,lower ride height,18's or 20's,14bolt with posi,Adjustable suspension or Fox shocks,on board computer management.

Prices start at around 33,000....for roll up windows.....
Old 02-11-2012, 12:34 AM
Staging Lane

They make the Callaway Silverado with the S/C 6.2l, all can be had for about 60-70k
Old 02-11-2012, 12:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chpspecial
You've got to realize, the mentality of the people on this site is far different than the general public that takes their car in just to get an air filter changed. I can't tell you how many 100% bone stock SS's I've seen running around, because the people that bought them off of the lot were convinced that they were fast trucks that didn't require any work or extra money to make them quick. They would sell, due to the fact that a large portion of the public will buy anything labeled "fast" by a salesman, manufacturer, etc., because they have no ability/knowledge to do that themselves. A regular Joe walks up, likes the looks and is convinced about the performance, and he buys the truck. He doesn't see the potential in a regular trim truck like we do here on this site.

With that being said, ME PERSONALLY, I'd see no use in a SS truck. I could take a 4wd 5.3 truck, slap a Trick/KB kit on it, cam, bolt-on's, tune, etc. and come out cheaper and faster. Now, for a vehicle to be marketed to the general public, I think a beefier rear-end MIGHT be alright, but no one pays that any attention, unless they are into vehicles or unless the part breaks. Then, when the part breaks, a "mechanic" at the dealership usually pays it attention, not the owner. That's more money for GM. So, maybe a rear-end that's beefier, a 6.2, single cab option for sure, 80E trans, a decent exhaust, something better than the G80, and a slightly-redesigned SS wheel. Of course, a conservative tune to retain warranty would still remain and probably kill the truck for the most part, just like with the 5.3 Colorado. Just my .03 cents.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Rcsbwith 6.2

Doesn't need ss on the side. I know lots of people that would be all over that.

Stick shift would be a blast also
Old 02-11-2012, 08:35 AM
^^^^x1 Registered User

6.2 with a 4l80e, 373's. I enjoy driving my 02 silvy with 6.0,4l80e,373s amazing so much power this engines can get with just lil modifications. Am also looking to get into a new vehicle here in a year or two but really looking forward for the new body style maybe a ccsb or another rcsb

Quick Reply: What if GM made a new SS?