Notices
Silverado SS, Joe Gibbs Editions, SSR Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body | News

Joe Gibbs advice and sources needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 11:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joe Gibbs advice and sources needed

I have a 2005 extended cab that I love, only mod is a pulley. It has 49k and on 3rd tranny, but I believe it's all worked out now. I love the truck so much, I bought a 2004 Tahoe with 24k miles yesterday,it has a pulley, a-pillar gauges and different exhaust.

What are my sources for tuners? I'm in Orlando and wouldn't mind spending a buck to go a little faster. I had a 3000 stall speed converter on the 05 and lost it with the warranty replacement of a tranny. I've lost my source for tranny work and just need advice on where to start looking for stuff like air induction, etc. I called superchips once and they didn't know much. I also read somewhere there was a contact guy at Magnuson who knows a lot about these..

Where do I start? and thanks in advance... This Tahoe is bad assed, I gotta tell ya.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Shark1007
I have a 2005 extended cab that I love, only mod is a pulley. It has 49k and on 3rd tranny, but I believe it's all worked out now. I love the truck so much, I bought a 2004 Tahoe with 24k miles yesterday,it has a pulley, a-pillar gauges and different exhaust.

What are my sources for tuners? I'm in Orlando and wouldn't mind spending a buck to go a little faster. I had a 3000 stall speed converter on the 05 and lost it with the warranty replacement of a tranny. I've lost my source for tranny work and just need advice on where to start looking for stuff like air induction, etc. I called superchips once and they didn't know much. I also read somewhere there was a contact guy at Magnuson who knows a lot about these..

Where do I start? and thanks in advance... This Tahoe is bad assed, I gotta tell ya.

my .02 ... do whatever upgrades u want to do to the motor and give Nelson performance a call for your tune. They mail u an entire PCM and u mail them back ur core or just pay $50 more for the core charge. Nice thing about nelson, and also black bear i believe, after u pay for it the 1st time u can update ur pcm with whatever upgrades u put on ur ride for free and all u have to pay is the shipping ($20ish).
Old 09-18-2011, 02:34 AM
formerly lamborado (1-12-2012)

I agree, i got my nelson tune 4 years ago, eventually i bought hp tuners and started tuning my self, but i changed setups and decided to call nelson its been almost 3 years since he has tuned my truck, becas ive been doing it, called him thursday, my new tune will be here wednesday for 10 bucks shipping. Cant beat that.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Thanks so far. My 05 Silverado was purchased without a blower and the dealer sent to gibbs for the blower and hardware, it came with a superchips kit in a little bag.

The Tahoe was aparently blown at sale, it has no seperate tuner.

I'm really looking for a Gibbs guru to tell me to buy this and that, etc. and then I'll work on a tune. Is volant the prefered cold air intake these days? My hot rodding was eons ago when cars had carbs, etc.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Shark1007
I bought a 2004 Tahoe with 24k miles yesterday,it has a pulley, a-pillar gauges and different exhaust.

O/T, but what did you have to pay for the Tahoe? I saw one for sale on Autotrader with waay more miles and they wanted BIG $$.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Yes Volant is a awesome CAI system, I'm no Gibbs Guru, but in building my clone Gibbs truck, I've learned a lot.

I would look into Blackbear Tuning. They normally can get you a sweet tune, unless you're looking for hand-held?

I do have a question thou. Would any Gibbs guys be willing to take a photo of the bumper cover brackets? Grille brackets? that my only hold up for installing the front fascia on my truck
Old 09-19-2011, 06:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Closer_2001
O/T, but what did you have to pay for the Tahoe? I saw one for sale on Autotrader with waay more miles and they wanted BIG $$.
Everyone on autotrader with something performance wise wants big bucks, unless it's a Neon or 84 Vette...
Old 09-19-2011, 07:50 PM
Teching In

I paid 19k for the truck, spent another 600 bucks for new skins. The old tires were original and , although tread was deep enough, they had a little dry rot starting in the treads.

I saw 10 lbs boost on gauge today and the rear spins a fair amount and sort of "floats" as it increases boost. It has a 3.2 pulley and seems to bog a bit at slower speeds, but then lights up.

I'll get some pics for ya.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:12 PM
Teching In

Killer, that'd be awesome
Old 09-20-2011, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI the Gibbs trucks are no different than any other silverado with a Radix 112. Back in the day when I had a 04 Gibbs Nelson tuned it. The tune wasn't bad I just feel a bit better with me at the controls of the laptop and some guidance from a few other guys I trust.

If you claim to be a Gibbs guru then you are a silverado guru nothing really that exotic about them.

Quick Reply: Joe Gibbs advice and sources needed