Notices
Silverado SS, Joe Gibbs Editions, SSR Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body | News

2/4 Drop on the SS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 06:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2/4 Drop on the SS?

I'm buying a SSS, and I was thinking about dropping it. (spindles up front/shak&hangers in rear) does anyone have a picture of there SSS droped 2/4? is it even a good idea to do so? Thanks
Old 09-20-2007, 12:38 AM
Conversion master

Here is mine. It has the McGaughy's 2/3.5" with spindles and hangers/shackles. When I bought the truck in February the front actually sat about a half inch higher than the rear. Just the other day I adjusted the torsion bolts and dropped the front another 3/4" or so to get a very slight rake to it. One nice thing about the SS is it looks lower than it actually is because of the cladding.

A couple of tricks the drop kit companies don't tell you:

In the rear, remove the bracket between the factory bump stops and the frame. The bump stops will bolt right to the frame. If you don't do this the bump stops will be within 1/8" of the axle and make for a very harsh ride.

A lot of guys on silveradoss.com are also drilling the front bump stops for a little smoother ride after the drop.

These pictures were taken when I bought the truck with the McGaughy's kit already installed before I lowered the front more.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 70 LS1
Here is mine. It has the McGaughy's 2/3.5" with spindles and hangers/shackles. When I bought the truck in February the front actually sat about a half inch higher than the rear. Just the other day I adjusted the torsion bolts and dropped the front another 3/4" or so to get a very slight rake to it. One nice thing about the SS is it looks lower than it actually is because of the cladding.

A couple of tricks the drop kit companies don't tell you:

In the rear, remove the bracket between the factory bump stops and the frame. The bump stops will bolt right to the frame. If you don't do this the bump stops will be within 1/8" of the axle and make for a very harsh ride.

A lot of guys on silveradoss.com are also drilling the front bump stops for a little smoother ride after the drop.

These pictures were taken when I bought the truck with the McGaughy's kit already installed before I lowered the front more.

Thank's for the tips and the truck looks good.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

trucks looks great . id be worried about haulin my race truck . it and the trailer weigh about 6k . u think it would be fine , or do u have any experience
Old 11-02-2007, 09:34 PM
Conversion master

Originally Posted by BadAssChevy327
trucks looks great . id be worried about haulin my race truck . it and the trailer weigh about 6k . u think it would be fine , or do u have any experience

Just get an airbag kit and you will be fine to tow whatever. The airbags mount on top of the spring and to the side of the frame.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ya sweeeeettt . i noticed the hitch is only good till 5k , is 6k pushing it lol