FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

2014 Sierra RCSB Z71 On3 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Yeah when you get it tuned just bring along one of those 3 bar sensors and the tuner can plug the data right in after you swap it.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gauge is working now. It's hitting 8.x PSI and the wastegate seems to be working as intended.

I have slight coolant(around the metal pipe section replaced earlier) and oil(around the sandwich adapter) leaks I need to address and going to mess with that tomorrow.

Last edited by Mercier; 01-13-2018 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's a little annoying that the replacement metal tube didn't have rolled ends to prevent leaks BUT I looked back in my leftover parts and they did send some better hose clamps that seem to have fixed the coolant leak. Flushed and refilled with about 25% Dexcool and a bottle of Water Wetter.

Drained the oil and pulled the sandwich adapter. Took out the two plugs in the side of it and one had some oil on the threads. Also the adapter itself wasn't terribly tight. I cleaned it up, really went at it with the thread sealer on the plugs, got those very tight, and tightened the sandwich adapter much more this time.

The drain contraption was fantastic. Also glad to see after several heat cycles and about 100 miles the oil still looked good and clean/clear.

Hopefully tomorrow the new WG spring will be in then dyno Tuesday.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

get some videos of it driving around and making turbo noises lol
Old 01-16-2018, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

444/440 @ 8PSI. Not bad for a first, quick try, I think.

Originally Posted by Choda
get some videos of it driving around and making turbo noises lol
That was certainly planned but looks like we are headed for more snow in LOUISIANA.

Got it on the dyno and did a few pulls. We were having trouble getting it to lock in 4th gear and it was still trying to shift. We'll get it next week but the bad weather was upon us and I had to roll out early. We are going to get together next week and try a bit more spring in the wastegate and a few other things and do some drivability tuning.

Probably try around 10PSI next week and leave it there if there is a decent gain. Overall I am happy with it considering that is through a transfer case and 305/50/20 (32" and on the heavier side of things)all-terrain tires. 3.42 gears.

Sorry for the low-quality pics. Dirty CRT monitor. I've promised Geoff a new(er) PC for the dyno but we just haven't gotten together on it yet.

Old 01-16-2018, 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Our office was disposing of a bunch of excess LCD monitors a few weeks ago--free for the taking. If I'd have known, I'd have sent you one.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Decent numbers, just be careful with that factory driveshaft (unless you did upgrade it) as they aren't rated above 100mph.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FFDP
Decent numbers, just be careful with that factory driveshaft (unless you did upgrade it) as they aren't rated above 100mph.
I figured I had a little headroom with it being the shortest possible shaft(RCSB, 4x4). Is my thinking off?

Looking like some good IATs tonight..but no traction:

Old 01-16-2018, 11:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Length doesn't really matter, it's the material and design of the part that are the issue.

No GM truck driveshaft is rated above the factory speed limiter, it's kind of why they limit these trucks to 100mph. Even though you have the shortest driveshaft available it's still made of either thin walled steel or thin walled aluminum. Often times from all the pictures and stories you see/hear they may not even vibrate that bad but once it hits it's critical speed it will just explode.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FFDP
Length doesn't really matter, it's the material and design of the part that are the issue.

No GM truck driveshaft is rated above the factory speed limiter, it's kind of why they limit these trucks to 100mph. Even though you have the shortest driveshaft available it's still made of either thin walled steel or thin walled aluminum. Often times from all the pictures and stories you see/hear they may not even vibrate that bad but once it hits it's critical speed it will just explode.
Ok; guidance please on replacement? And should I be any less/more worried about the front shaft?

Edit: are you sure a shorter shaft doesn't help the situation at least some? AFAIK, the formula for critical speed of a shaft involved length as one of the primary inputs.

Still if it's ****, I'll replace it.

Thanks.