FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

2014 Sierra RCSB Z71 On3 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 07:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Ive always used studs too. makes installing the manifold and gasket much easier too
Old 07-25-2018, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Choda
glad to see you have it buttoned up. get that manifold cleaned up so you can go do burnouts. What year 6.2 do you have? I would think its pistons and rods are the same material as the 5.3s and they make 600 wheel with OEM parts. The 6.2 should make it with less abuse of FI so i would think be safer????
2017 6.2 with 15K miles. I am pretty set on upgrading the pistons but sounds like I should be able to live in the 5xx (wheel) range for a while with the stock stuff and that's going to be plenty fun until I get around to building it. The swap is straightforward but a lot of work still so dont mind spending a little more to make it last longer. At this point I really just need my truck back.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nathan Baader
Weapon X has built 3-4 l83s with around 650 with no problems. There are 5-6 on youtube either spraying meth or with a cam making low to high 600's. Everything I've read says stay under 700, whether that's true I don't know. I think I'm just going to throw all my parts on then take it to Weapon X and tell them to tune it safe. Throw 10-12lbs of boost at it and whatever number I get I'll be happy with. I went with meth injection btw. Hoping to put my mind to rest about knocking. Praying to god I don't run into issues like you've had. That's my worse nightmare!
I think there is a case for a 5.3 holding up to abuse more with the smaller bore. Not like a LM7 but perhaps a little more robust than the 6.2. Or perhaps I am just paranoid. How often do you expect to be filling your meth setup? I have been generally against it because I don't want another thing to fill.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Operation "Master Blaster" is making noise. It is surprising what a proper blaster is capable of. This is after about 30 seconds with 80-grit aluminum oxide. Next to rig up a paint setup to get this thing coated. Probably do the downpipe and crossover, too. Am I stupid enough to pull the passenger manifold and coat it too even though there's nothing wrong with it?

The outlet of the collector on this cabinet is a perfect fit for dryer hose so that's what we have heading out the shop door. Can't find the dust bag but don't think it actually matters. This thing is pretty efficient at separating and settling the abrasive and kicking out just the true dust. There wasn't any pile of stuff outside. Pulls a good vacuum, too. When running, if I pull the door open, the vacuum will suck it back shut.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
I'd go with 30 mm bolts. If you don't run a gasket 25mm would be the minimum I would do, and I'd still wish I had done 30's. With the inserts and the flange you need 27 mm. Yeah you can get by with 25, but with clamping and load support being so important now, I'd go for max threads, not "enough".

Funny thing is, I'm pretty sure the OE bolts are 30 mm

Studs would give you a little more thread assurance since they don't thread in and out, they stay put, and if something goes bad it'll be the exposed threads and you can just pull the stud out and slap a new one in instead of all this that you just had to do.
I may look at the stud route again. Initially, it was too hard or impossible to get the manifold on there with the typical studs. Perhaps if I cut some shorter.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Dig the blaster, nothing like having one on hand to play with. That's what you end up doing, looking around for things to blast. I pulled all my ac vents in my house and blasted them then clear coated them. When blasted they match my dark gray walls and make a nice contrast on the ceiling.

As far as the studs, man it's your build and I'm throwing out opinions from over here. If you can get at least a 25mm in there or preferably a 30mm bolt you should be good. I just mean to say that studs are for sure best.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mercier
I think there is a case for a 5.3 holding up to abuse more with the smaller bore. Not like a LM7 but perhaps a little more robust than the 6.2. Or perhaps I am just paranoid. How often do you expect to be filling your meth setup? I have been generally against it because I don't want another thing to fill.
I think I'm going to be paranoid at 500hp, not because its dangerous but because I did all the work. Probably take a few months of smooth sailing before I can drive care free.
As far as filling up the meth. Its setup to start progressively spraying at a specific boost pressure. Probably wont start spraying until 6-7 psi. Goal is to have it come on outside of normal daily driving so it wont need filled up unless I'm beating on the truck. This will be my first experience with meth so we'll see. I typically don't beat on my stuff very often so it shouldn't be an issue for me.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

I had a dual m10 nozzle setup on my last DD truck. It barely used meth. I suggest at least a 1 gal tank. I had 2 because the trucks have the room in the spare battery location.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:14 AM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Allen Partin is making like 868whp on an L83. I think you'll live just fine in the 500's as long as its put together well and tuned properly.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by JRoyPDX
Allen Partin is making like 868whp on an L83. I think you'll live just fine in the 500's as long as its put together well and tuned properly.
Is he a member here I can search or is there a build thread or anything? I'd like to read up on high power L83 stuff.