TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Choda
What a pain in the dick
Only because I'm stupid. 😂
Old 12-31-2017, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Manifold back on, plug wires on. Ran it a bit with no misses or obvious misfire noise. That's open downpipe. Hopefully next visit to the shop will be exhaust and then road testing. See you guys next year!

Nothing exciting but it ran and didn't blow up. Idled down decently after a minute:

Old 12-31-2017, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Congrats man. That start up vid is huge
Old 12-31-2017, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Choda
Congrats man. That start up vid is huge
Thanks! I know I could have trimmed it but...lazy. and it's NYE and time to put a beer in my hand. So that's why there is fast forward and such. 😉
Old 01-06-2018, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, never trust a really cheap Duralast jack to do the job of a fairly cheap Harbor Freight jack.

I went to reassemble to transmission crossmember and realized the crappy jack I used(must have just been the closest thing) lost about 2" of max lift in the last month. So the whole drivetrain was tilted back a decent amount more than it should have been when I was test-fitting the exhaust.

So On3 got that just right. The exhaust extension that mates to the downpipe now fits great without touching and points right at the back half(muffler) of the Magnaflow system. This will make it a lot easier as I was worried about a lot of angles.

About 24" away from driving it.

I also decided that TIG will take more patience to learn. Picked up a bottle of tri-mix for my Multimatic and some stainless wire. Going to try MIG instead for a quick fix and then practice TIG more some other time.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Everything is looking good on your build. I just got a tig welder and after a couple hours of welding on mild steel I realized it will be a while before im stacking dimes on stainless and aluminum.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crashmymax
Everything is looking good on your build. I just got a tig welder and after a couple hours of welding on mild steel I realized it will be a while before im stacking dimes on stainless and aluminum.
Thanks!

Yes; every time I get pissed with the TIG, I use the "auto set" on the Multimatic and it reminds me of how stupid I was to not just try it first. It's not pretty by any means but it's exhaust. Ugly but I think it will work. And this is easily accessible and will be all V-bands so if/when I ever get my **** together TIG-wise, I can just pull it off and replicate it with a better process.

This is me doing about 3/4" at a time, turning the piece, and filling in gradually with the same. Basically a bunch of big tacks. Because I suck at MIG too.

But seriously, the MM 215 is t!ts. If I had any patience -AT ALL- that weld might even look good.

I actually think so far that a 125CF of tri-mix is the oddest thing I've transported in the backseat of a Cadillac. (Let's not get into the trunk..)

Old 01-08-2018, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So we aren't stacking dimes but perhaps loose change...left on a train track and run over.

Finished the exhaust. Still a few spots to tighten up. Probably need to grind back some of the welds for the V-bands and clamps to seal just right but I'm going to send it.

Was able to cut the piece that would fit directly I to the inlet of the muffler just right to keep the hanger in the right spot which was convenient.

Here is it running with the Magnaflow hooked up but not totally tightened.

I picked up a Yank 2800 stall in the classifieds. Going to get the sorta-final tune done then work out any bugs before installing that and then will probably chase any exhaust leaks when doing that.

Now just tighten things up, check fluids, reinstall sway bar, and I'm pretty much out of excuses at that point.

Last edited by Mercier; 01-08-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Picked up a cheapie gauge mount at O'Reilley. Using this to mount the AFR/boost/etc. gauge in the (ashtray?) area. Great place to hold the slack and extra wires I'm not using yet. Probably make a panel later on for more attractive mounting.