PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

2008 yukon build.....Err uh mod thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Finally got my pistons, rings, rods and mains yesterday!! Started assembly of pistons this evening, damn those clips are a PITA!! had at least 9 of them i had to chase around, 2 went into never never land, glad they gave me a couple extras in the bag.... Also measured piston to bore clearance and it is right at the lower end of spec.. Need a new crank sprocket, apprently when they went to pull it off it broke... Been debating new timing chain and cam acruator anyway....
Old 07-24-2016, 10:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ordered a new crank sprocket today the cloyes number is s827 actually got it off of one i have apart at work, turns out autozone has the best price on it at 11.99+tax i should have it tuesday... Everywhere else i called was anywhere from tuesday to friday and wanted $29-35+ tax and freight....
Old 07-26-2016, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Had an hour and a half to kill between jobs today, so.... Went ahead and assembled the bottom end of the l92, hope to get the rear cover on and cam in tomorrow, though i may bring the heads home and swap the springs aftr i get home the next couple nights... My girl has to work the next couple nights and there isnt anything worth watching on tv so may as well go ahead and knock them out... Get pics tomorrow...
Old 07-27-2016, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Got pics of engine today.. Also did a little bit of work on it and finally went through the box of parts and separated the old parts into trash and reusable engine parts.... Have two non dod covers, and probably 3 rear covers.... And a cathedral port nnbs intake.... Not to mention the seemingly 2000 engine bolts...

Pistons and valley cover installed....

Didnt have much time today so went ahead and installed cam, and retainer plate.. And put a regular non vvt cam reluctor on it just to prevent the cam from mysteriously finding its way out the back of the block, at least until i can find time to oull the engine off the stand and get the rear cover installed

Back of the cam....

And the stamp on the block...
Also decided im tired of being held up over a $4 part, so im going to carry my self back to parts in the morning and get a crank key....
Old 07-27-2016, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

On a side note i think this heatwave the last week or so is killing my battery... Went to get in it tuesday and hit the remote start and she just clicked, got in hit key and same thing, came home for lunch decided to see what it did and it fired right up, but when i tried it with the remote start then opened the door the radio was playing, but it shut off when i opened the door, and then it cranked over but could tell it was low on juice, and today everytime i let it sit for a while my ac would go to 74 and low speed, which is what i had the temp set to most of the coldest part of the winter...then today at lunch my xm wasnt playing, had display and fm/cd/etc all worked but no sound from xm, got in to keave work and had xm... Chalking it to a weak battery, but i will probably hook my scanner up and make sure that everything is actually turning off, there is apparently a tsb on the amplifier shorting and causing a no crank/no start/no sound condition, but i believe i read it would be any sound not just xm...
Old 07-29-2016, 01:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Brought my heads home to swap the springs, and finally get to use my nee trick flow spring compressor....

Stock springs....

This trick flow spring compressor is the shiznit!!!! Dont know how i ever lived without it.... Just wish there was a way to easily just swap one spring.....

Dont even have to remove the base to install the seats and seals....

Did all 8 on the one head in about 30 minutes.... And had a couple brainfarts along the way that slowed me down....

Old 07-29-2016, 02:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

....And both heads are done, cleaned up and heads ready to go back to work to go on the engine either tomorrow or monday.... The second head went a little quicker, ended up knocking all of the stock springs off with a socket, smacked them to loosen them up and the keepers all popped off..... Also noticed the intake and exhaust valve stems were different colors. The intake valves looked almost black and the exhaust were more of a silver or chrome.... They are 0821 heads, kinda wondering now if they dont have the lighter valves in them??!!
Old 07-29-2016, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

..................... And the 100* heat has killed my damn battery, two different testers same result.... 10.46volts 0cca bad cell-replace and 10.46v 346cca replace battery can i catch a break???

Did get my crank key today, and figured out the gmpp ls7 lifters and the melling jb-2079 are identical down to the numbers on the side of them....

Last edited by Wolftrk99; 07-29-2016 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ended up buying new cam actuator/phaser today the old one the bolts were seized into it.... Was able to get one out, the other 4 the torx bit rounded the heads out.... Then because i misread the directions, or didnt read the close enough, i almost cost myself another $100......
Old 08-04-2016, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well made a bit of progress last night and this evening.... Last night installed the timing set, this evening i installed the oil pump, pickup tube pan and timing cover....

Timing cover installed

Oil pan on....

acquired a couple more parts for the trans today, a dipstick and tube and a set of cooler lines.... May have a heat shield too, but i know i will have the bracket for the fuel lines. Shoulda waited on some of the other parts ive gotten like shifter cable bracket and linkage, got a used unit for a customers vehicle and i dont think there is a core on it.... So may have another 6l80 too...

Quick Reply: 2008 yukon build.....Err uh mod thread