PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Project Silver Bullet!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 11:49 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got my truck back from the shop and the exhaust is all fabbed up. taking the hotside to get coated on monday.

i had them remove the slip fit and just weld the crossover together and put a new flex join in. the downpipe got a 3" vband added to the end and we hacked off the wastegate dump tube. the waste gate dump is now to the atmosphere. dumps on the outside of the frame next to the wheel . there is a bracket on the dump that bolts to the downpipe for extra support.

the rest of the exhaust was purchased from a pt.net member. it was cut into three sections for shipping and i had the shop vband it together with my muffler. muffler is a 36" magnaflow.

got the oil drain and oil feed lines installed. im using -10an return fittings and with the angle of the turbine i had clearance issues if i wanted to get anywhere near straight down with the oil drain. i bought an extended oil drain fitting so the an threads were below the turbine flange. i still had to clearance the extended fitting as it rubbed a bit against the turbine flange. i wrapped the hose in a heat sleeve as it sits right next tot he manifold. it will have about 1/2" ~ 3/4" clearance away from the manifold.

here is the turbo drain return into the pan. i wanted to keep a downward angle as much as possible so i took a bit out of the starter so i could angle the fitting a bit more to keep it at a downward slope.

here i have the oil feed line. i zip tied it to the bellhousing bolt to keep it away from the exhuast as much as possible. might throw a random nut on the bolt to keep the zip tie from coming off..

finished up the last of the hardware for my fuel system. swapped out the injectors (plug and play with the supplied wire adapters ) and plumbed in the flex fuel sensor into my return line.

just need to wire up the flex fuel sensor and do the required tuning for the sensor and bigger injectors so i can fire it up this coming weekend.

next i need to mount and wire up my boost controller solenoid, run the boost reference lines, and plug in the maf.

_zblee
Old 03-14-2017, 03:23 PM
Launching!

got my boost controller setup along with the reference lines to/from wastegate/compressor.

here i am adding a weatherpack connector to the solenoid wiring for easy disconnect.

here is how i routed the reference lines and where i decided to place the solenoid. i chose as far away as possible from heat source. some of the lines may change once i adjust my heater hoses.

_zblee
Old 03-20-2017, 11:41 AM
Launching!

Got my flex fuel sensor installed and wired up. licensed a stock tune from a 04 tahoe flex truck and copy pasted all my settings over to this file. keyed on and now i can see alcohol %!

i have it plumbed right at the return after the regulator into the factory return line.

screenshot from hptuners showing flex sensor working

i was able to reroute my heater hose lines and get them away from wastegate. also added some heat sleeve to the connector on one of the A/C lines that was close to the wastegate as well.

got my cold side back from powder coating

here i have the cold side installed and testing for leaks.

i have had these caltracs traction bars sitting in a box for over a year. about time to get them installed !

installed the oem driver side exhaust manifold and now just waiting to get my hotside back from ceramic coating. once i have the hotside installed i can fire it up and go get it tuned!

_zblee
Old 03-20-2017, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks great man! You may consider insulating your AFPR from the firewall. For a while I was scratching my head as to why the motor itself was so damn loud inside the cabin, turns out the AFPR was acting as a mini microphone and transmitting valvetrain noise through the firewall and into the cabin. I bought 1/4" rubber sheet from the hardware store and used it as a cushion on either side of the firewall and also used grommets where the bolts went through. Quieted things up nicely.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:54 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 374 Likes on 255 Posts

Looks great! What happened to my logo for the tank?

While you are still in the build process I would recommend the 4 port solenoid for the boost controller, it works way better than the 3 port one.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lxcoupe
Looks great man! You may consider insulating your AFPR from the firewall. For a while I was scratching my head as to why the motor itself was so damn loud inside the cabin, turns out the AFPR was acting as a mini microphone and transmitting valvetrain noise through the firewall and into the cabin. I bought 1/4" rubber sheet from the hardware store and used it as a cushion on either side of the firewall and also used grommets where the bolts went through. Quieted things up nicely.

yeah i can actually hear the fuel run through the regulator (i think thats what i am hearing) when i key on. after that i dont notice it because the exhaust and the rest of the engine is much louder.
edit: just realized you were saying it transmits the engine noise. hmm i may check into this. i have several holes running wires through that are not sealed very well so that may be where i hear more of the noise than anything. but wouldnt hurt to try your suggestion

Originally Posted by Atomic
Looks great! What happened to my logo for the tank?

While you are still in the build process I would recommend the 4 port solenoid for the boost controller, it works way better than the 3 port one.
yea your tank is great, it fits nicely and allowed for a ton of room around the turbo. i dont like having logos and names everywhere so i try and limit that as much as i can so i did not keep the logo.

this solenoid is the one that came with my boost controller so if find this one insufficient i can get the 4 port. will be easy swap to do when/if i get to that point

_zblee

Last edited by zblee; 03-21-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:09 PM
Launching!

Got my hotside back the other day! got it all installed too!

unfortunately with trying to install the downpipe i scratched up the new black finish pretty good by running it against the frame and other hard parts. oh well what are you going to do. other than that , got everything bolted up and fired up. next up .. TUNE tomorrow!

and here is first start up and idle just using the pre-existing N/A tune

_zblee
Old 03-22-2017, 11:56 AM
Launching!

Thumbs up

Sweet!!!!
Old 03-23-2017, 01:14 AM
Launching!

got the truck to the dyno today!

with 91 pump gas it put down 533/515 with 8psi boost running off the wastegate spring pressure

on e54 we were shooting for 11-12psi and it put down 617/598 but we were running out of fuel pump at the top so we had to turn the boost down and also reduce some timing and eventually landed at a safe 578/544 with 8psi boost running off the wastegate spring

holy cow what a difference! this thing is an animal now. need to get different tire setup now...

so next i need to run a second pump so i can turn the boost up when running flex fuel (pumps in AZ only run up to e54 now).

ill post up graphs and dyno pull video soon

_zblee
Old 03-23-2017, 01:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Holy crap congrats man! What's the goal next?

Quick Reply: Project Silver Bullet!