FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Another turbo build .... :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 05:04 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Another turbo build .... :)

I figure i would share my experiences with my current build with everyone. - Well just like anyone that as ever built a vehicle, things tend to get old quickly. That was not entirely all my case but I was defiantly tired of working on the blower. For starters my output seal always leaked (very little) but I cant have that. any little issues with my vehicles drive me nuts. haha. I also did not like how every time I needed to change the belt it was a PITA. So after dealing with everyone for some time I decided to sell the whole kit and go turbo. While the procharger was installed the truck made 477rwhp 455trq at 10.5lbs.

Turbo Build--
When I decided to go turbo, I wanted to be kind of sleeperish lol, if possible. So I blacked out the piping and intercooler.
I decided to go with the Huron speed hot pipes because I really liked the design and the quality looked great ( which it was). The customer service is spot on, John is a fantastic guy to deal with. He answered my 1 million and 1 questions with no issues, ( still owe him a shirt- have not forgot lol). I went with a turbo Xs BOV because my buddy gave it to me, so I thought why not. I am running a 44mm TIAL wastegate, with a DnA motoring GT45 ( plan on going to a ball bearing turbo just not sure what yet). My exhaust is just a 3in with a blackwidow pro venom muffler. cam is a 216/224 560 @114

Since I have a TIG I decided to weld all my piping up all 1 piece ( each side). Less issues of clamps and such.
While doing the build I did run into a few issues, 1 being I have a dual battery setup. So I have to re route that to the drive side. The ac lines did not move to much with the battery tray installed. I have an ever so slight exhaust leak at the cross over pipe ( I did not leave everything loose while installing, my mistake). My downpipe had a 3in vband I needed a 3.25 so instead of cutting the old one off I just TIGed the new one on, which spaced the DP back a little. had to make some spacers for the wastegate and message the fire wall.
-A big issue I ran into was my drain fitting, It was just a cheap fitting and the hole was not large enough. ( I am running -4 feed and -10 drain). The second big issue I had was crank case pressure. MY catch can was clogged a litte and I had a non vented oil cap ( whoops). So I installed an RX vented oil cap and my single RX catch can. Drive side and passenger side valve covers go into the can, then go to the intake where it meets the oil cap vent. then it is all routed back into the intake (pre turbo). Worked flawlessly after that.

Initial impressions--
The turbo spools very quickly, well quicker than the procharger. feels like the truck as very god low end. Turbo is also very quite, if the windows are up you can just make out the whistle. I am only running about 3lbs right now ( wastegate springs is suppose to be 7lbs) I have a boost controller and will be going to 12 maybe 14 depending on the shatty 91 here in CA. I am going on the rollers Thursday morning, over at CCC motorsports in santee CA. Great guys and Greg lets me use the dyno when I need ( win for me).
All an all I am happy with the outcome, definitely want to upgrade the turbo to a better unit.

I will keep everyone informed about the dyno and share the results.

Dyno sheet from procharger with 91 octane.

Last edited by fctry286; 08-08-2016 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:44 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 769 Likes on 636 Posts

Looks clean both ways!

In for the results of how you like the change.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:53 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Is that a vent line from the fill port on the p1sc? I've seen people mention the transmission cases becoming pressurized through the volute shaft seal. I've also seen some people mention cutting a slit in the washer that goes under the dipstick screw to help release this pressure.

I've been doing some procharger **** for several years and have never ran into any major problems seal wise. My F2 over 45 passes or so would very lightly oil the volute and about 6 inches into the intake tube, but it was very minimal (think of it as a very light film). So much so that I never saw it as an issue......and just considered it to be the nature of the beast. Granted I have yet to eclipse 26 lbs of boost for a full run with 2 runs at 30 lbs of boost shortly aborted due to traction issues.

Do you have any tech information to the contrary that you can share for the good and welfare of the uneducated?

BTW, your **** looks tastefully done and would like to hear your personal experiences with both............even though we can all pretty much guess what it's gonna be.

Throttles down my friend!
Old 08-08-2016, 07:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Blown06
Is that a vent line from the fill port on the p1sc? I've seen people mention the transmission cases becoming pressurized through the volute shaft seal. I've also seen some people mention cutting a slit in the washer that goes under the dipstick screw to help release this pressure.
That is the vent line, I have it running into my catch can, I used to see small amounts of oil like yours. It would drive me nuts and after a while would coat the MAF and make it run funky. After I added the vent I had zero issues.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:09 PM
Launching!

Do you have any tech information to the contrary that you can share for the good and welfare of the uneducated?

BTW, your **** looks tastefully done and would like to hear your personal experiences with both............even though we can all pretty much guess what it's gonna be.

Throttles down my friend!
Thanks man. I figure if I am in there might as well make it look good.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:59 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by fctry286
That is the vent line, I have it running into my catch can, I used to see small amounts of oil like yours. It would drive me nuts and after a while would coat the MAF and make it run funky. After I added the vent I had zero issues.
Mentioning the MAF is a very good point and one that I totally over look as just about 95% of the cars I tune or lend tuning advise on are run in speed density without the MAF.

Now that you mention it, if it is close enough to the blower discharge connection I could very well see it cause some issues with oil mist on the MAF.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:57 AM
Launching!

Mentioning the MAF is a very good point and one that I totally over look as just about 95% of the cars I tune or lend tuning advise on are run in speed density without the MAF.

Now that you mention it, if it is close enough to the blower discharge connection I could very well see it cause some issues with oil mist on the MAF.
it would normally run fine, but idle would be choppy and act weird. I tune 99% of the vehicles on MAF if they are daily driven. I have personally seen 16lbs of boost with MAF and only went to 13,500 HTZ. max is 15,000..
Old 08-09-2016, 04:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:08 AM
Truck Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for the nice words Joe! Glad you like your kit and glad I was able to be of help during the process for you. Anything else you need always feel free to ask. Keep enjoying!!

Jon
Huron Speed
Old 08-11-2016, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

So did you get to the dyno

Quick Reply: Another turbo build .... :)