SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Tint

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 09:17 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by shakenfake
A few of my buddies are at 5% and they are good for the most part. But 5% is dark as hell imo I don’t know how you see out at night
I've been driving with 5% for 15+years. At night it becomes a habit to grab the window switch as you make a corner. Kind of like using a blinker and not even realizing you're doing it.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

In the city, the 5% was manageable but when i moved out to the country, it was a little pain, until i memorized the roads and obstacles.

Old 06-03-2021, 01:09 PM
makes children cry

Received 399 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by gat0r
on my burb, i have 0% ceramic on windshield w/ 5% brow
30% on front doors (b/c i had issues getting inspected previously... standard glass had some tint to it already & 25% tint was just a hair too dark....b.s. lol)
back doors & rear glass are 5% over the default smoked 20% :-D
so your windshield is opaque?
Originally Posted by TXsilverado
I've been driving with 5% for 15+years. At night it becomes a habit to grab the window switch as you make a corner. Kind of like using a blinker and not even realizing you're doing it.
drove almost 14yrs with 5% on the sides & 3% on the rear in my last truck. was perfect during the day but had to roll the windows down & slide the back glass to use the mirrors at night.

it'd started bubbling & scratching enough that i redid it a month before i sold it, and 15% front w/ 5% rear was awesome. the ceramic tint also cut down more heat than the darker non-ceramic stuff. same percentages on my car since 2010 with no complaints.

had a couple friends do 50% on the windshield & they each had a few cop stories from it. that said, i'd recommend a ceramic 70% to get better visibility, less legal hassle, and more heat rejection.
Old 06-03-2021, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 404 Likes on 318 Posts

I had 35% on both my trucks windshield and I loved it, cop that arrested me is never going to do that again I can assure you. I did remove tint bc I know there are other ******* cops out there and I can't risk exposing my child to trauma like that again for a tinted windshield. I have looked into the clear uv blockers just haven't done it yet. Has anyone done it yet and has feedback?
Old 06-03-2021, 04:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,173 Likes on 893 Posts

I had someone I knew do it and he liked but said that it didn't bounce as much heat as he thought it but imo 70% is clear. I've been studying the hell out of windshields these past few days because tinted shields have become more and more common around here and dude some factory shields look sub 70% easy.
Old 06-03-2021, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by shakenfake
What part of DFW? I’m West Ft. Worth. I gotta figure out where some of my buddies go to get inspected but I watched that jiffy lube guy and he never rolled the windows up. Just plugged in the OBD2, ofc no codes for me , and off I went

North FtW
blue mound/watauga area

a few places mentioned they had been busted by DPS, so i bet there were lots that got overlooked
Old 06-03-2021, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by _zebra
so your windshield is opaque?

drove almost 14yrs with 5% on the sides & 3% on the rear in my last truck. was perfect during the day but had to roll the windows down & slide the back glass to use the mirrors at night.

it'd started bubbling & scratching enough that i redid it a month before i sold it, and 15% front w/ 5% rear was awesome. the ceramic tint also cut down more heat than the darker non-ceramic stuff. same percentages on my car since 2010 with no complaints.

had a couple friends do 50% on the windshield & they each had a few cop stories from it. that said, i'd recommend a ceramic 70% to get better visibility, less legal hassle, and more heat rejection.

sorry, its clear ceramic tint
i;ll fix typo
Old 06-03-2021, 04:53 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by smokinlmm
I had 35% on both my trucks windshield and I loved it, cop that arrested me is never going to do that again I can assure you. I did remove tint bc I know there are other ******* cops out there and I can't risk exposing my child to trauma like that again for a tinted windshield. I have looked into the clear uv blockers just haven't done it yet. Has anyone done it yet and has feedback?
You were arrested for tint? Seems excessive.
Old 06-03-2021, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 280 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
I run 5% on all windows and don't get too much attention. I'm afraid if I put anything on my windshield I would become a magnet.

besides, either the headlights on my 2002 aren't keeping up at night, or my eyes aren't what they used to be...
Same. My truck is already big and loud with dark windows. I don't need another excuse for them to come at me lol.

My lady had a clear ceramic on her windshield and every time I drove her car I absolutely hated it. It was probably because the guy did a terrible job and there was a **** ton of tiny bubbles in the film. She got a major chip in her windshield and had to replace it so currently she has nothing. She wants to have 70% on it this time. Hopefully its done better this time.
Old 06-03-2021, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

^ yeah have to find someone to do a great job on windshield.
mine turned out very good. (no bubbles & one small crease down by dash - dont even see that)

Quick Reply: Windshield Tint