Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side Molding Removal????

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 2toneblown
awesome man Im going to go get some and try that. If it works your a life saver. I will let yall know.
I'll loan ya mine if you want to drive to Tulsa to get it.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha i wish you lived around here. I went to 2 different places today and couldnt find one. So Im drivng around with just the nasty *** double sided tape on it haha. It looks sharp. I will have to find one tomorrow. Thanks for the offer though
Old 01-24-2005, 08:06 AM
Staging Lane

haha i wish you lived around here. I went to 2 different places today and couldnt find one. So Im drivng around with just the nasty *** double sided tape on it haha. It looks sharp. I will have to find one tomorrow. Thanks for the offer though

My residual glue came right off with a little mineral spirits on a rag. Just give it a couple of minutes to fully soften the glue.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Whats the easiest way to get these things off. I got the heat gun out but its still taking quite a bit of effort and time. I am wondering if there is an easier way to do this, there has to be some chemical or something you can put on there to break the double sided tape and adhesive crap off. Or am I wrong and this is the only way?
I used some hot water to heat the molding up, it does not have to be boiling just hot. pour it along one side and as you pull it off put paper underneath to keep it from sticking back down, a plastic bag works too and you can reuse it or sell it of you want afterwards.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

rubbing alcohol.......works wonders
Old 01-24-2005, 04:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by goshawk23
i used some citrus stuff that claimed it would remove stuff like that and it didn't. i wish i had know about the 3M wheel. i had all sorts of blisters on my fingers.
me too. i never had such bad blisters before. made golfing a tough job
Old 01-24-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

i used a heat gun and some fishing line and worked the fishing line under the moldings (wraped around each and and then holding it on the top and bottom of the molding pulling across ) to get the goo of, i used a 3m adehsive remover ( walmart i think its like $3-$5 a can ) small dark colored can worked great.

be sure to apply wax after u use it since it will strip the wax off too.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:39 PM
11 Second Truck Club

I was able to pull my moldings off real easy and the glue (tape) I kinda took my thumb and rolled it off the door then just cleaned it up looks great.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sexyvic1
i used a heat gun and some fishing line and worked the fishing line under the moldings (wraped around each and and then holding it on the top and bottom of the molding pulling across ) to get the goo of, i used a 3m adehsive remover ( walmart i think its like $3-$5 a can ) small dark colored can worked great.

be sure to apply wax after u use it since it will strip the wax off too.

i tried the 3M adhesive remover. for some reason it didn't work as good as gasonline
Old 01-24-2005, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 03silverado5.3
I was able to pull my moldings off real easy and the glue (tape) I kinda took my thumb and rolled it off the door then just cleaned it up looks great.

i pretty much did the same thing, but it seemed like it took me a while. took a few days to do

Quick Reply: Side Molding Removal????