Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

questions about painting my bumper

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 02:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions about painting my bumper

I have an 07 classic body in work truck trim so my rear bumper is painted gray instead of chromed. Id like to paint it black (body color) to give it a more SS look. My question is: should I completely remove the old paint or just sand it down and paint over it? The more specific the better, I plan to do a lot of research about paint prep before I do this. Thanks, Brian
Old 10-08-2009, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

the gray is fine to paint over just smooth it down and paint over. use adhesion promoter and some good primer

prep work is what makes a good paint job
Old 10-08-2009, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

Good idea and good question. I was just thinking of this the other day since I don't want to go with a roll pan. I think when I'm looking for painted mirror caps at the junkyard the next few weeks I'll keep my eye open for a straight work truck bumper so I can try this also.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:37 PM
TOWN CRIER

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Scuff it and shoot it, that's what I did and it's held up since October of 2006...
Old 10-08-2009, 09:57 PM
TECH Regular

Cheyenne383 you got to drive you truck to count.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

use a scuff pad first as mentioned, then adhesion promoter like bulldog, then spray it and clear it, no need for primer if surface is already smooth, but it wouldnt hurt either, just make sure to wetsand the primer til its smooth as glass
Old 10-09-2009, 01:16 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oooo, I like it when I think I'm gonna do something there's already someone else who started a thread the same day answering all my questions!!
Old 10-09-2009, 01:26 AM
Launching!

i've been thinking about doing the same thing on my dodge's front bumper. would i do the same thing or would it be different since the grey part is purely plastic?
Old 10-09-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wildcatcamaro
i've been thinking about doing the same thing on my dodge's front bumper. would i do the same thing or would it be different since the grey part is purely plastic?
same really.... if its textured plastic, dry sand it with some 320 grit, then spray adhesion promoter, spray the primer surfacer, wet sand with 400 grit, let it dry out good, spray some more adhesion promoter, primer it again, wet sand it again til its smooth as glass (no more texture), then your ready for the paint
Old 10-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Banned

ok, you really dont need all those steps and all that adhesion promoter. you dont need Bulldog on metal parts. if you're doing anything textured plastic, use scotchbrite to scuff the plastic. then wipe with rubbing alcohol. then spray ONE coat of bulldog. then prime. use a good 2K primer or even better, use Slicksand. then sand the part with 400 grit paper, doesnt need to be wet, then spray color, then clear, or single stage if you wish. as far as the metal bumper goes, if the existing paint is in good shape, just sand it with 400, prime it, then paint it the same way. you dont need to wet sand primer.

Quick Reply: questions about painting my bumper