Old 07-19-2012, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I missed the flip kit part. Lol
Old 07-20-2012, 04:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Rear end dropped 8". I think it's probably too low to drive in it's current condition. I've got about 1/2" of clearance if that between the axle and the bumpstop on the C notch and about the same from the axle pumpkin to the underside of the bed. I'd need to notch the bed rail (belltech has a kit for this). Also, my Corsa exhaust pipe is firmly wedged up against the rear axle as well, so that wont work. I'd really hate to cut it up but I'd need to at this height. I don't think the dual 4" tips would work well at this height anyways. They'd probably be all scrapped and crapped up being so close to the ground.

I'm only at about 4.5" rear drop and my stock hitch drags on steep parking lot entrances/exits. Your tips would probably curl up your bed corner too. Truck is looking good. Same light set-up I have.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Almost done. Just need to put the rear shock extenders and shocks on and do the carrier bearing relocate. Im using stockers for now but will probably get Belltech shocks. I've just driven it in the driveway so far but no odd squeaks or noises.

I'm still not sure if I'm going to keep the rear like it is or not. It's currently 8" drop. I really like how it sits out back but I really need to notch the bed. Although the BT notch isn't as deep as the DJM or MCG (reportedly) I think theres still enough clearance for the 8" drop.

I'm really hoping to get some billet 22s within the next 6 months OR just go with stock GMC 20s. I haven't really decided yet.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:14 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good, I have ALOT of time in mine, I did a write up on it. Did you put the inner lip back in it?
Old 07-21-2012, 08:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
Looks good, I have ALOT of time in mine, I did a write up on it. Did you put the inner lip back in it?
Thanks!

Not sure i understand, what inner lip are you referring to?
Old 07-21-2012, 08:48 PM
Baltimore Whore

Name:  hoodclose1.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  29.4 KB

Did you double the lip back up?
Old 07-21-2012, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Im assuming your talking about the hood. No, its not rolled, just welded and filled.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:59 AM
Baltimore Whore

Yah it is kinda hard to understand what I am trying to say. I had to cut that area out cuz of the portion that needed to be removed, but i too a piece of 16th metal, welded it back along that edge to give it back the rigidity it has as stock. I am curious to see how you did yours, post some pics if you would. I also love the HD over a cowl, just cus it has to be made to fit, kinda crazy.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

I had a guy do the hood for me so I really cant tell you about the details.

Anyways, The Belltech stuff I've used seem high quality, but a couple irritating things.

1)The stock shocks dont fit in the belltech shock extenders width wise where the bolt goes...need to be grinded a bit.
2)The nuts that came with the kit for the shock extenders dont fit on the supplied nuts. Another trip to HD.
3)The template for the carrier bearing cutout is a mini me - they sent me a template thats about half the size it should be.

All that said though, those are minimal annoyances otherwise I'm happy with the Belltech parts. I'm going to put stock shackles in and take out the drop shocks to get a more level stance until I do MCG spindles up front and notch the bed. Now i just need to decide on rear shocks.

Quick Reply: Progress on the GMC