Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pro-tec

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pro-tec

i was wondering i remember seeing advertisements for the pro tec box that gm had for a while, what are they? i think that i remember seeing that they are dent proof and scatch proof? did they only do this for a short while or do they still offer it? does any one have one out there?
Old 08-07-2006, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

They were basically composite beds that were dent and scratch proof. They are not very sturdy. The best benefit is that they are very lightweight. A good friend of mine has one on his 01 Z71.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Resident

so are they a colored plastic type of material or do they have a traditional paint job over a simialar material as the current stepside? if someone knows more about this chime in, but if it is a good thing then why dont they make the whole body out of composite material?
Old 08-07-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 03lowriderss
but if it is a good thing then why dont they make the whole body out of composite material?
I wouldnt because if it cracks you need to replace the entire panel. Some ******** barley hit me in the back panel and it had a small crack, but big enough to notice. guess what, the whole bedside had to comeoff and be replaced
Old 08-08-2006, 04:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lss1
They were basically composite beds that were dent and scratch proof. They are not very sturdy. The best benefit is that they are very lightweight. A good friend of mine has one on his 01 Z71.

I have one and yeah I wouldn't be throwing complete rear end assemblies or concrete blocks in there, the plastic gouges really easily. I think a rubber bed mat would help out a lot cuz they are very slick when wet. I don't know if they are colored plastic or painted over but there is a little bit of a spiderweb forming near the bottom rear edge of the bed, been there since the truck was a few months old.

I know they are dent proof cuz my buddy got one before me and he was pushing in and out on the bedside and it would just spring back. But there was a thread on FSC of a pro-tec box that basically shattered when it got hit hard by another car.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

Yeah ithink the material is similar to that of the stepside beds. I got rear ended when my 00 was a couple weeks old and both bed sides and the tailgate needed to be replaced. The bedsides just shattered on impact.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:00 AM
Staging Lane

I've got one on my 03, mine's all scratched up and looks like some fiberglass or sumthin is showing though...its so flimsy that the bed flexes alot even when u put a gas nozzle in. The bed is black with a red truck, it don't look to bad.