Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering kit for Tahoe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 10:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lowering kit for Tahoe?

Who makes the best lowering kit for a 01 Tahoe?Will the kits work with the load leveling suspension?
Old 06-30-2003, 04:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Lowering kit for Tahoe?

Don't really know who the best is, but I don't think anyone makes a kit that will work with the Autoride set-up.
Old 06-30-2003, 11:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I contacted Jayson at MTI right after I purchased the Escalade. I am going to use MTI's expertese as Jayson owned a 2002 Escalade and dropped it 2/3. They modifiy the rear load leveling rods to allow the system to work just like stock with the lower stance. I am going to be ordering the springs(rear) and the modified leveling rods from Jayson either late this week or early next. If you have some time, I will post results. If successful, I am going to order the Hotchkiss sway bars for it next.

Todd
Old 07-01-2003, 09:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for your response White Diamond I'm diffenently interested in how your lowering works out.Does MTI sell the modified leveling rods on an exchange basis?What are going to use on the front suspension?Please post your results.Can MTI lower the rear as much as 6"?
Old 07-01-2003, 10:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Whitt1,

I have no idea on 6" drop. It would be best to contact Jayson and see what ideas he has. He told me they are starting to run a sport truck side of MTI, so maybe they have a complete line of stuff. 3" in the rear will be enough for my application. As far as the front goes, the Escalade uses Torsion bars. I will be rotating the cam position until I achieve the desired 2" of drop.

My biggest concern is the magnetic fluid shocks on this vehicle. I am not sure how the sensing system for them will respond to the change in piston location.

Todd
Old 07-01-2003, 11:02 PM
TECH Junkie

The Tahoe has torsion bars up front too,my concern with rotating the torsion bars is that the suspension travel might be limited causing a harsh ride.I was looking at the lower control arms that DMJ offers.Let me know how rotating the torsion bars works out.
Old 07-03-2003, 01:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have tried the Belltech 2/3 drop which has a torsion bar key for the front and new springs in the back. The kit also came with nitro shocks all around.

I was disappointed with the rear end ride quality (bottom out too much) so I tried out the Hotckis suburban rear leveling coils and have the same ride quality. Looking for other options.

Try and take a look at www.mcgaughys.com/tahoe.html they offer as much as a 3/5 drop kit. They have a rear trailing arm relocation bracket that I am very interested in.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Island Tahoe,

Did the kit you use provide a new bump stop assembly for the rear or did it recommend you cut the bump stops? If either, did you still bottom out with the new/cut bump stops? I am going to e-mail Jayson on that before I finalize this order, as that would be unacceptable to me.

P.S. How do you like the Whipple?

Todd
Old 07-03-2003, 02:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

The belltech kit came with a new poly-something bumpstop so it was just a matter of swapping out (the hotchkis set does not). Yes I am still bottoming out even w/ new bumpstop. The hotchkis seemed a little stiffer.

Check out belltech's website and they are/were trying to sell their demo Red Tahoe. In the description for the Tahoe they list an air ride type system to supplement their dropped coils. I tried to find out more info from them, but no useful answer.

Because of the 5-link suspension, rear coils and shocks, there is not much room for the 3" exhaust pipe to make it thru also.

I may just have a weird set-up, a few of the suspension people I have talked to are surprised that I am bottoming out. Maybe I'll need to start looking at permanent wt reduction, losing the spare tire.

As for the whipple, I am addicted to the boost. Would have rather had the Radix back then. But well... really wish the whipple was intercooled and didn't use aux injectors and a piggy-back computer.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Are you bottoming out on bumps or under acceleration?Are you just hitting the bumpstops or are you having tire clearance problems?

Quick Reply: Lowering kit for Tahoe?