SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone ever thought of this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone ever thought of this?

I had an idea today. Instead of going with a 3" body lift to clear bigger tires; why couldn't we put 1.5 to 2.5" helper springs in the rear along with the Ford keys in the front and might be able to run 315's? Has anybody tried this?
Old 01-15-2005, 03:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by blue by you
I had an idea today. Instead of going with a 3" body lift to clear bigger tires; why couldn't we put 1.5 to 2.5" helper springs in the rear along with the Ford keys in the front and might be able to run 315's? Has anybody tried this?
you could get lift blocks for the rear and do the Ford keys for the front
Old 01-15-2005, 03:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was kind of trying to stay away from lift blocks. My buddy had them on his older chevy and when he got hit in the rear from the side it knocked the axle out from underneath and ended rolling the truck and totalled it out. That's why I would rather go with springs.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:44 PM
TECH Regular

You've already got factory blocks on the back of your Z71...most people just go up to a 3" block in the back w/ the keys in front. That way it's nice and level.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

does any chevy come with a factory 3" block? because then I can just get it through work or would I have to buy aftermarket?
Old 01-16-2005, 03:33 PM
TECH Regular

I'm not sure if Chevy ever used any factory 3" blocks...probably have to go aftermarket. All of the big suspension companies make them, so they're just as good as the factory pieces.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

Whats the easiest way to lift the front anough to level it out? I'm not really sure the Frd keys won't change the front end geometry too much and effect the ride driveabilty. Are there any other options?
Old 01-16-2005, 09:22 PM
TECH Regular

Cranking the bars/using Ford keys is about the easiest...it does change the front end geometry and things will wear out quicker if you go too high. An alignment is required. Some people say their truck rides better after leveling the front, others hate it.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:58 AM
Teching In

if you do add-a-leaf the truck is going to ride bad anyway...its a lot easier to just add blocks than leafs.....if you level the front by cranking the t-bars its not going to ride better either...get 4" suspension lift if money is not an issue...but if you like me and it is then go with the blocks and keys
Old 01-17-2005, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

I put Ford keys on mine to level it out. I don't have the keys cranked very much after installing them.
Before the keys the front felt a little soft and floaty and now its seems more firm. The ride quality did suffer some. Its not too bad but I definatly wouldn't crank them anymore to gain more lift. That would probably be a horrible ride.

Yes you definatly want to get an alignment done after doing this. My buddy cranked just his stock keys all the way and never aligned it. Well after about a month or so, you could see the tires starting to wear badly.

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever thought of this?