Sponsored by:

Cowl hood Vs Ram air hood??

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cowl hood Vs Ram air hood??

Hello all!

A few questions for everyone here, i have a 2002 silverado 5300 auto ecsb.
I'm having a hard time choosing a custom hood for it, so i know alot of custom truck owners had been down that road. So the two hoods i really like are the cowl hood with flapper and the ram air style from cervini, both hoods are functional for cool air and horse power gains, but which one would benefit me more? i know its up to me too choose but i like opinions as well.
Also, i'm trying to safe up money to turn my truck into a SS Sliverado/muscle car look from the good old days, any help, any advice would be great!!

Mods:
Corsa exh
Volant air intake
MSD wires
Diablo programmer
ASP Pulleys
GMS MAF

Future Mods:
Nelson Tune
Lopy *** cam
1:8 Roller Rockers
Dynatech header system
B&M Shift kit
Yank Torque convertor
Old 11-29-2005, 05:56 PM
Truck addict

i was having the same delema when i was choosing hoods. i basically came down to the conclusion the extra money for a ram air hood or the flipper hood just wasn't worth it for the possible hp gain. i chose a regular cowl hood from reflexxions.

my opinion is you will need to be going 80 or 90 mph to really get a gain.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:32 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

if you want the old school look, you could do kind of what I did. The Torqu thrust S/T's from american racing in either 18's or 20's... and the badges I have are from a '69 camaro SS. We DO have a 327 after all (or 325 or whatever) anyway its close enough to be a poser and be correct about it!! there are other subtle things you could do as well. I am getting rid of my 18's and buying the grey centered 20's like the ones I have now that will match my truck better. I am going to change the front end of mine also to look a little more retro and get rid of the space-ship look I have now. A flipper-cowl is definitely in the works for me too. Hope this helps.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:48 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

you can get the cowl hood to look better, then get the volant ram air tube for the functional ram air. best of both worlds.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:09 AM
Launching!

I have the ram air hood from keystone. I love its looks, different from the cowl hood which a lot poeple have. As far as the performance gain, I don't know if its worth the 800 bucks from that standpoint. The major benefit is from the cold air, in the heat of the summer my k&n was cool to the touch! Its basically up to you as to which one looks better. If you want performance spend the money on something from your future mods. Good Luck.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

I have the ram air hood from keystone. I love its looks, different from the cowl hood which a lot poeple have. As far as the performance gain, I don't know if its worth the 800 bucks from that standpoint. The major benefit is from the cold air, in the heat of the summer my k&n was cool to the touch! Its basically up to you as to which one looks better. If you want performance spend the money on something from your future mods. Good Luck.
I have the same hood and love it as well. The only problem I had was finding a shop to paint it because nobody wanted to touch fiberglass. Once I got someone to look at it they actually thought the construction was very good and the peice came out very nice with minor body work. I did not get it for performance I really loved the look the functional ram air was just a bonus.

SBChevy I also have a K&N and had to modify the box a little to fit the inlet on the hood. DId you have the same issue?
Old 12-01-2005, 11:50 AM
Launching!

Yeah luckily my boss can paint so we just did it, the hood fit very well with only minor body work to the front rh corner. I have the KN FIPK, all I had to do was trim the the metal box a little to allow the hood to clear. Over all it was a good peice, however a pita to get it to my shop-(ie dont buy from truckperformance.com). Tweaked 5300, buy the hood for looks, very little performance gains.