Sponsored by:

Chrome and SALT!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 04:48 PM
KDT
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome and SALT!

I hate switching my wheels and tire for the winter! I hate my winter wheels! Has anyone ever clear coated or powder coated clear on their chrome wheels? If so has held agaist the the salt from the Chicago winters? Looking to do something with this and need advise! Thank-You!
Old 11-30-2008, 04:52 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will not need to do that. All you really need to do is wash them every few weeks, keep a decent set of polish on them. Hell even if you squirt them off with water after a day of driving in the salt, they will hold up...

John
Old 11-30-2008, 05:00 PM
KDT
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
You will not need to do that. All you really need to do is wash them every few weeks, keep a decent set of polish on them. Hell even if you squirt them off with water after a day of driving in the salt, they will hold up...

John
Two weeks of that and there is alittle pitting that already happened last year! I tried to do that and couldn't handle it anymore so i pick up some 17" escalade wheels and i hate them! It's either i clear coat or powder coat my chrome 20's or go get a set of oem denali 20's fromthe 07,08,09's.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:12 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm thats wierd, what make are your current wheels, or the ones that pitted? I didn't wash my factory steel chrome wheels one time last year, they cleaned up brand new..

John
Old 11-30-2008, 06:53 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The most important thing is to keep them clean. You have to stop/slow the corrosion process. Another problem is that everybody forgets to clean the backsides of the wheels, where most of the corrosion actually begins.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cleaning them every week should do the job. Why would you want to run your nice rims during winter anyway?
Old 12-02-2008, 03:59 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I run 22's in the summer, then switch out to my old 20's for the winter, with studded Hakka 5's. CRAZY traction on ice.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
The most important thing is to keep them clean. You have to stop/slow the corrosion process. Another problem is that everybody forgets to clean the backsides of the wheels, where most of the corrosion actually begins.
I think you're absolutely correct on this.

Granted, I didn't wash my truck for almost 2 mo. this summer, since I was in the middle of a big job. But that's summer. In the winter, wheels (esp. alum. wheels) need a lot of TLC. Even tho I try to stay up on them in winter, I do have minor blemish from corrosion via road salt. Brake dust turns em nasty thruout the yr, unless washed regularly.

I try to wash truck 1/wk whether it needs it or not. Oftentimes, it gets washed more than that. In MI, we also see alot of rain. And that helps, but only if it rains hard enuff to rinse off. Otherwise, it just means wash again. But the crud on wheels is nasty stuff.
I get bummed if my truck is filty.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:29 PM
KDT
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Red04Silverado
Cleaning them every week should do the job. Why would you want to run your nice rims during winter anyway?
I'd like to run nice wheels year round so the truck looks good all the time! I'm going with factory 20's to avoid all the headaches of swaping out wheels and tires!
Old 12-02-2008, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

i think there is a powder coat finish that is a clear... might b wrong.
now u got me wonderin!

Quick Reply: Chrome and SALT!