Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to clean Chrome Rims?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 08:52 AM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best way to clean Chrome Rims?

I have some pretty nasty stuff to clean my rims with. Some type of acid that I can't remember the name of (muratic?) got it from a car detailer buddy. Anyway, you dilulte with water and it does a pretty good job. I scrub them down with "000" steele wool and when I'm all said and done there are still cloudy spots on the chrome. Not noticable unless your down real close. Almost like it's under a clear coat. Anybody else have this issue and what solves it?
Old 10-19-2005, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know what you are taking about. I had the same problem. I tried some Mother's chrome polish and it worked great for me.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

are you sure they're chrome or polished aluminum....i've got chrome rims on mine and i just use glass cleaner....
Old 10-19-2005, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 4.8LGMC
are you sure they're chrome or polished aluminum....i've got chrome rims on mine and i just use glass cleaner....
Good call, normally you would use steel wool on aluminum.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

there is some stuff you can get at a truck chrome place for big rigs.....i forgot what's it's called.....it's a white liquid that works really great for aluminum......but for an easier way you can use fine steel wool and glass cleaner....worked for me on my race cars wheels.....
Old 10-19-2005, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sleek silverado
Good call, normally you would use steel wool on aluminum.
Using steel wool on aluminum would scratch it to pieces. Its wierd how steel wool doesn't scratch chrome though , at least not visibly. Most of the time on chrome glass cleaner will do the trick. If not, use some chrome polish. After you get the spots out, just soap and water will work but make sure to dry them to keep the spots from coming back.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

you can use the steel wool and then take some aluminum polish and take the scratches out......but u can use an aluminum polish on em.....takes some elbow grease to do it.....but you'll get em clean
Old 10-19-2005, 05:23 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

The steel wool is #0000 super fine. It doesn't scratch at all. It's usually used to clean glass by the auto detail guys. I will look into the mothers chrome polish. I'm sure they are chrome
Old 10-19-2005, 08:04 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mothers is all I will use on any of my stuff as far as wax and polishes go. For the best glass cleaner Stoners Invisible Glass is the best. Leaves NO streaks or residue behind and is awesome. Also try Stoners Trim Shine and Tire Dressing they all are great products and work great i have had the best luck with Stoners and Mothers brand car care products.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:22 PM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

first i would like to say im new to this site and man this site to me is like jennifer lopez's *** and jessica simpson AWSOME. any ways comming from a detailer the best thing ive ever used i meguires mirror glaze metal polish. very easy on and off application. and for glass cleaner the best thing to use is isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) some people dilutte it with water but i use it undilutted and dosent leave streaks and is great for tinted windows

Quick Reply: Best way to clean Chrome Rims?