Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bedside Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 343 Likes on 263 Posts
Default Bedside Replacement

The beautification of my truck has been going well the past 6 or 8 months, looking to keep the momentum going.

Prices on rust free beds in NJ are typically high or I have to travel a long distance to pick one up.

Has anyone replaced the full bedsides on their truck? I have a fleetside bed and was planning on keeping it that way. Curious how much work it is. From what I've read elsewhere, it does not seem like an incredibly hard job. I'm less inclined to do the patch because, again from what I've read, its more work in the end.

Yet I also noticed that there are replacement bedsides for the NBS Sierras with 4 wheel steering that are fiberglass. Does anyone know if these will fit on a standard NBS fleetside steel bed? My truck will always have to live in the salt so my though is the fiberglass bedsides would be a better investment for the future.

For the record, I have no plans to ever get rid of this truck
Old 04-15-2019, 12:13 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

The fiberglass bedsides for the 4 wheel steer bolt on. I am not sure exactly how they mount on the underside or the wheel opening.

I have done the traditional bedsides with OEM Bed sides. There not as hard as you would think. The first thing is to mark the front of the skin edge where it attaches to the bed. this will get you fairly close. Use a few small sheet metal screws.

Make sure you fit the tail lights and tail gate before you Start welding anything!!! Also make sure the bed fits the truck. The bed sides can be tweaked from shipping and stuff may not fit right. It's Important to make sure everything lines up correctly. You don't want to find out after the fact that the bed side is sucked in or a light doesnt fit the opening. Same with the gate. I have seen some bedsides that were not fit right and either have to large of a gap, or the gate touches the side and rubs because it wasn't fit right prior to welding.