SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

@$#r%#@$@$

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had some scratches along my bed from when some family members belt buckle was dragged along it.
it took a few passes with the PC but here is a 50/50

And here is a 50/50 of my friends hood, he used whatever he could find to dry his truck for about a year, like used bath towels.
oh and lots of drive thru car washes
Old 06-07-2009, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RandomHero
No you aren't removing any clearcoat. You're basically just smoothing it out. I've read from a reliable source that by using a dual action buffer like a porter cable it would take 20 years doing it twice a year before your clear coat would be noticeably diminished. That is negating sun damage and other natural damage.
Yes you will remove some with compound. Not enough to matter.
Using a "dual action" or orbital buffer is for polish and wax. To remove scratches you will need a Rotary buffer.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

just had my truck buffed, covered in swirls, etc., also it got covered in overspray had the paint decontaminated 3 steps, and buffed twice, then polished, then sealed, very pleased with the results
Old 06-07-2009, 10:56 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

www.adamsforums.com Stuff works like a charm
Old 06-07-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LowBlack99
Yes you will remove some with compound. Not enough to matter.
Using a "dual action" or orbital buffer is for polish and wax. To remove scratches you will need a Rotary buffer.
The guy is using a brush to wash his car. I'm thinking baby steps here man.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:15 AM
PSM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RandomHero
The guy is using a brush to wash his car. I'm thinking baby steps here man.
Kiss method...

In self defense we wash all the company vehicles and personal vehicles from the whole big family this way for years and I've never seen a vehicle scrached this bad. I just drew the lucky straw.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:40 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here you go watch these videos
http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2386
Old 06-08-2009, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The only safe way to wash with a brush is using a high quality boars hair brush. Even then you have to use basically no pressure to make sure only the flagged tips of the bristles touch the paint. If you cause the bristles to deflect the sides of the bristles will touch the paint and scratch it. Basically, stop using a brush. Switch over to a lambs wool or microfiber mitt.

Using a clay bar is always a good idea, but you have to realize it won't do anything to remove swirls. Adams products are just ok and kind of overpriced IMO. Instead of trying to tell you what I think you should use I'm going to direct you to http://www.autopia.org. Do some reading over there about paint correction and using a Porter Cable 7424/7336. http://www.meguiarsonline.com is also a good resource but much like the Adams forum they are going to be biased and won't give you fair opinions so much as they will shill their products.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wasnt trying to necesarily push adams products on you just watch the videos yes he does use the adams stuff but the junkman is really good at what he does and can give you great advice on this he is on this site so you can probably pm him. although i admit i love adams stuff you can use whatever you want. autopia has some good stuff too im on there as well but junkman really simplified the process so anyone can understand it and ive seen his results fantastic. use whatever works for you but he can help you with most of your general questions and is a very very nice gentleman.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh I wasn't aiming my comments at you or anyone in particular. I just wanted him to keep in mind that any product specific forum is going to shill their products over giving unbiased advice.