Racing and Kills Forum Be smart and safe!

Killed a Cobalt SS in my work Dodge

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 12:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Killed a Cobalt SS in my work Dodge

The other night on the way back to the jobsite I had a run in with a Black 2 door Cobalt SS with paper plates with my work dodge 2006 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab long bed 5.9L Cummins auto. All my work dodge has on it is an aftermarket air filter, edge EZ set on the 65hp, 150tq level and stock exhaust. I was coming back from Ft. Stockton headed to Pecos on 285 when a car ran up on me pretty fast to I flipped the edge on the highest setting (65hp) and he blew by me but I didnt trying anything because there was traffic ahead. Thats when I noticed it was a cobalt ss. He kept on trucking and got behind a truck with a gooseneck and when he passed so did I because there was no traffic and I noticed he was getting on it and I was slowly catching him so I thought I might stand a chance. After we went around the truck he slowed down to about 65 to see if I would bite. So i hammered it and proceeded to move in the other lane and he hammered it and I slowly passed him, got in front of him and was about 1/4 of a car if that in front of him until I hit 105 when the dodge revs out. He then caught up and went around me as I couldn't go any faster and threw on his flashers. After that run he slowed down again and i slowly moved over not to provoke a race just to ask him if he wanted to go from a dig, he agreed. We both stopped and I talked with the guys for a little bit they were pretty cool and I told them I was a chevy guy and I had a vortec max at the house and what not. We agreed on three honks, I had it reved to about 1400 rpm and I had the window halfway down so I could hear the honks over the loud diesel. He honked three times and we were off, I left him off the line pretty bad about 1/4-1/2 a car. We shut down at about 100 and he was about 1 to 1 1/2 cars back. I slowed and stopped again and he pulled up next to me and said "godamn man what the hell do you have in that thing, it runs good?" I told him what I had and he said cool if I wanted to go again, so I agreed and informed him that I couldn't go over 105. We lined up again three honks i reved it up to 1550rpms or so and spun a little more than the first time and so did he, left him off the line about 1/4-1/2 a car again. Same result at 105 when we shut down I was about 1 car ahead of him. He then wanted to go from a 75 roll and I informed him that my truck wont downshift at 70+ plus but I was game. He pulled me about 1/4 of a car that time and I couldn't catch him. I couldn't believe that I beat one of these in my work truck and I looked it up on edmunds.com and they run like a 15.2 stock. It made that 57 mile haul in-between pecos and ft stockton go pretty quick and it was fun too! Edit: I'm pretty sure it was the supercharged one because it had the boost gauge and what not. Aren't all the Cobalt SS's Supercharged? Makes me wanna get a smarty for this thing or a predator, something a little more aggressive Sorry for the long winded post as I don't have a whole lot going on today.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:03 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i guess thats the difference between a domestic tuner owner and a import tuner owner

good kills, they are pretty quick (SS/SC versions)

there is the SS/SC and the SS/NA versions
Old 06-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nightrunner
i guess thats the difference between a domestic tuner owner and a import tuner owner

good kills, they are pretty quick (SS/SC versions)

there is the SS/SC and the SS/NA versions
Yeah they were real cool guys. I have seen that car, or at least one like it in Ft. Stockton a few times before mabye I will run into him again.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

Yep, the SS/SC versions run low 14s, high 13s@100mph ...the n/a ones run mid-low 15s@around 90.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:40 AM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice kill.

A cobalt SS without a S/C? I didn't know it was available that way. So it's a regular Cobalt with a spolier? I don't see the point. Does the N.A SS have a little bigger engine than a regular Cobalt?

I think if you buy a car/truck that says "SS" on it, you should be required by law to add a S/C or turbo within 30 days of purchase*.

*Unless the factory puts one on it in stock form.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:26 AM
TECH Addict

Yep, I did a double take when I heard about that too. One of my friends has one and she said it's a SS without the supercharger and I was ...But, I'm not sure about the motor size on the n/a ones.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
Nice kill.

A cobalt SS without a S/C? I didn't know it was available that way. So it's a regular Cobalt with a spolier? I don't see the point. Does the N.A SS have a little bigger engine than a regular Cobalt?

I think if you buy a car/truck that says "SS" on it, you should be required by law to add a S/C or turbo within 30 days of purchase*.

*Unless the factory puts one on it in stock form.
I think the n/a ss has a 2.4L or something like that. I did a little research on the subject myself. I agree with ya, we need to make that a law.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2.4L ecotec in the N/A SS.

SS name is dropped for 08, supercharged version is dropped for 08.

2.4L cobalt will be called sport in 08.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

thats a was for a car like that how much is a sc ss cobalt if it's over 24 it's a waste for a car that fast/slow.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

The SS' have 2 options a 2.4 eco is a VVT and rated at 175hp, the 2.0 S/C engine is rated at 205, It has been consistantly proven that they are way above that. My Ion Redline which has the same engine as the ss s/c put down 213 whp 100% stock. It ran a quarter mile time of 14.3 with wheel hopping out of 1st. My car was ordered and i paid 20,000,but when nobody knew what they were i've seen people walk out with a brand new leftover one for under 16,000.

Quick Reply: Killed a Cobalt SS in my work Dodge