PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Yet another turbo build...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Well I had the Magnaflow 12772 welded in by a shop yesterday. They did a nice job welding in a the muffler, but they screwed up the clearance of the pipe going over the axle! I specifically told the owner to retain the clearances/angles of the pipe exactly as I had it prior to them messing with it. So now I'm going to have to take it back. I really just need to get off my *** and learn how to weld and be done with it.

Anyways, the muffler is deep, fairly quiet outside but pretty loud inside the cab. I like it. It's definitely got more presence than my old Corsa catback had. The amazing thing about the Corsa though was the loudness inside versus outside. Outside would be significantly louder than inside the cab, compared to this magnaflow. They've got some good engineering into those exhaust systems for sure.

Also, I was having an issue with blue smoke out of my exhaust. Well, that was resolved. In short, don't go into boost with a stock PCV system lol.

I'm still getting some smoke from around my turbo when everything is really hot. I don't know if it's actually coming from the turbo or from my wrapped hot pipes. See when I was initially filling the engine with oil I ghetto rigged 2 funnels I had together due to the turbine housing being so close. So I start filling and one of the funnels flips over A good amount of oil went directly onto my wrapped log. It smoked quite a bit the first time I ran it which I expected but it continues to smoke a bit when really hot. I just can never tell where the smoke is exactly coming from due to the turbo blanket being on. There's no smoke at all on startup or when everything is warming up. So I'm leaning towards it still burning residual oil that got on/into the wrap. I also remember reading that the wrap itself can stink quite a bit when its new.

Anyways, all that's left now is injectors, pump, and tune for E85.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Just a thought but as for the smoke, check your dipstick tube. I had two different tubes that had a hole where the bracket is welded to the tube. It would smoke after I'd go make a pull because it was squirting just a little oil out of the hole and hitting all the hot **** lol. Dabbed some grey silicone on it, no more smoke
Old 01-27-2013, 01:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Phantom
Just a thought but as for the smoke, check your dipstick tube. I had two different tubes that had a hole where the bracket is welded to the tube. It would smoke after I'd go make a pull because it was squirting just a little oil out of the hole and hitting all the hot **** lol. Dabbed some grey silicone on it, no more smoke
Funny you mentioned that....I actually have a brand new dipstick tube in there because when I was disassembling to install the kit my old dipstick tube just snapped where it's welded onto the bar that bolts to the head. Pretty common I believe and left a huge hole in the old tube. I'd have to imagine the constant heating and cooling from the headers I had on it for years took its toll.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

What plugs would you guys recommend for this setup and at this compression?

I've got TR6s in it now, and I could swear I'm getting some break up or irregularity when in boost. I haven't logged any misfires or anything like that though. Would there be any downside to going to a non-projected 7?
Old 01-30-2013, 11:29 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Try a non-projected 6 first. Unless you're REALLY aggressive with the tune, you shouldn't need 7's.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Engine is still breaking up under part throttle boost. AFR is around 7:1 with around 13* timing. Plugs are either fouled or may even be gapped too far, don't know. Either way, I bought BR7EF replacements. I did some researching and those were the plugs overwhelmingly recommended. Also was recommended to start with a colder plug and work hotter as necessary.

Also had some serious issues with my EFI Live COS 3 tune. For whatever reason, a couple values come up as "Out of Range" in the tune eventhough they are within the stated limits for the parameter (i.e. Octane scalar limiter MAX 100%, set to 100% was out of range). Somehow this was causing my timing under boost to go UP! It was set to be around 13-14* and it was commanding 33* Corrected the out of range values and the issue went away.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:16 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

At that AFR you run the risk of wasting the rings.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:23 PM
11 Second Club

That's not that bad on an ethanol scale
Old 02-07-2013, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Phantom
That's not that bad on an ethanol scale
Yup. According to FUELS DATA, max power rich is 6.9, max power lean is 8.4
Old 02-07-2013, 07:28 PM
11 Second Club

Damn, 8.4 seems LEAN. That's like 12.7 on a gas scale.

Quick Reply: Yet another turbo build...