PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Whipple 2.9 into 2000 RCSB Z71

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 10:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

Great build! Glad to see more Twin-Screw setups popping up on here.

Time to go ahead and order the 8-rib stuff. I want to see you pulley it down to 15psi. With that 4" and stock crank, I doubt you will see 10psi. My 2.8L only made 9lbs on the same pulley combo with smaller cam and hand ported 241 heads. Just FYI if you want to push it a little more with the 6-rib, I started getting significant belt slip when I went to a 3.25" blower pulley, making ~14psi when not slipping.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:11 AM
BMF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice looking truck!

Wish I knew I could have went with a 2.9 when I was shopping for a blower..how come you couldn't have done this build a year ago!?!

What type of fuel are you going to use?

Oh, and I'm sure if you are doing any research on the Camaro5 boards, you will quickly get the "PD blowers don't make any power" opinion held by the majority...they are the bastard child of forced induction on that board for some reason.

Looking forward to your results.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:05 AM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Razor
Nice looking truck!

Wish I knew I could have went with a 2.9 when I was shopping for a blower..how come you couldn't have done this build a year ago!?!

What type of fuel are you going to use?

Oh, and I'm sure if you are doing any research on the Camaro5 boards, you will quickly get the "PD blowers don't make any power" opinion held by the majority...they are the bastard child of forced induction on that board for some reason.

Looking forward to your results.
Eventually I am going to run E85. I need to figure out the pumps set up, Not sure if I am going to a twin intank set up, surge tank tank, or sumped tank with a big inline pump. None of them seem appealing to me, so I am going to run pump has (91) for now.

Yes, they don't like the Maggies, and the Whipples are just like whatever. Not sure why.

Can you share any videos of your car at idle? Smokeshow said yours was pretty smooth, and mine is a Stage 2 and pretty lumpy.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome!
Old 06-02-2014, 09:54 AM
BMF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Last Call
Eventually I am going to run E85. I need to figure out the pumps set up, Not sure if I am going to a twin intank set up, surge tank tank, or sumped tank with a big inline pump. None of them seem appealing to me, so I am going to run pump has (91) for now.

Yes, they don't like the Maggies, and the Whipples are just like whatever. Not sure why.

Can you share any videos of your car at idle? Smokeshow said yours was pretty smooth, and mine is a Stage 2 and pretty lumpy.
Just looking to see if you had any dyno numbers or more progress and saw this post.

I don't have any idle videos but, like Jake said, my car idles very smooth. Doesn't even sound like it has a cam in it to me but I am use to hearing it with a 110 LSA cam in my old SBC. The shake back and forth and **** poor vacuum get old in a street car though. I'll take this current cam's characteristics any day with the power it makes.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:01 AM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

I'd like to see more on this too. Hows the alternator bracket working out, and where did you get it from? Any flex there? I would think that could be a source of problems with belts down the road if its not perfect. I know there are companies that make them... but I've always been weary.

Why can't you use the Camaro accessories with hydroboost? Sorry for the newb question... i just don't know much about hydroboost at the moment.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Razor
Just looking to see if you had any dyno numbers or more progress and saw this post.

I don't have any idle videos but, like Jake said, my car idles very smooth. Doesn't even sound like it has a cam in it to me but I am use to hearing it with a 110 LSA cam in my old SBC. The shake back and forth and **** poor vacuum get old in a street car though. I'll take this current cam's characteristics any day with the power it makes.
No dyno numbers yet. I just finished moving. I ordered a Walbro 450 last week, so hoping to run E85 by the time I put it on the rollers. The start up was with the old tune from the 112, I have tweaked a little bit, and it is much better.

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
I'd like to see more on this too. Hows the alternator bracket working out, and where did you get it from? Any flex there? I would think that could be a source of problems with belts down the road if its not perfect. I know there are companies that make them... but I've always been weary.

Why can't you use the Camaro accessories with hydroboost? Sorry for the newb question... i just don't know much about hydroboost at the moment.
No issues with the alternator bracket. The bracket is the original truck bracket notched in the back with a plate made to move it over about 2" toward drivers side. I don't think there is any flex, it is still uses the 5-6 bolts to bolt on. I haven't chucked any belts, so that is a good thing! haha

I don't think the pressure lines from the hydroboost would bolt up. I guess I could have custom ones made, but I already purchases all new GM lines a few years ago, and didn't want another "project"
Old 06-02-2014, 01:19 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whipple looks really good
Old 07-02-2014, 12:56 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Did you make the bracket yourself? Does your water pump hose run inside your belt system? Honestly I havent heard great things about those LS3 camaro water pumps.

this is the only production bracket i have seen that would accomplish that you did:

Accessories - LS1 Truck Billet Alternator - Power Steering Bracket LSx conversion swap mounts and conversion brackets and swap plates. LSx conversion swap mounts, LS conversion brackets and LS1 swap plates.

My biggest concern would be flex though... last thing I need is to start puking belts like a procharger set up (have to jab at them when I get the chance... otherwise Im just jealous).
Old 07-03-2014, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
Did you make the bracket yourself? Does your water pump hose run inside your belt system? Honestly I havent heard great things about those LS3 camaro water pumps.

this is the only production bracket i have seen that would accomplish that you did:

Accessories - LS1 Truck Billet Alternator - Power Steering Bracket LSx conversion swap mounts and conversion brackets and swap plates. LSx conversion swap mounts, LS conversion brackets and LS1 swap plates.

My biggest concern would be flex though... last thing I need is to start puking belts like a procharger set up (have to jab at them when I get the chance... otherwise Im just jealous).
My brother-in-law made most of the bracket. Yes, water pump runs inside belt system. I don't like that, but wanted to run the hydroboost and didn't find a way to run it off the ls3 p/s pump. Hoping the ls3 water pump holds up, I broke the pulleys off a few of the truck pumps. So not sure how much worse the ls3 pump can be.

I don't think there is much flex, but it appears to be working good so far. Once (if I ever get some time), I'll throw it on the dyno and find out for sure.

Quick Reply: Whipple 2.9 into 2000 RCSB Z71