PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

version 2.0, still a turd though

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 11:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default ez efi 2.0

so for some reason a few years ago when ez efi comes out with the new 2.0 version i think this is the answer to all my hopes and dreams. reason i really wanted it was so that i could spray some n2o in the future and not have to worry about tuning, and also not be adjusting tuning along the way when i change a few parts here and there. But now however with the cam change, this dosn't want to run very well, and i knew that would happen, however i thought that this cam was not that radical of a grind that the self tuning would be okay with it... not so much, i'm still fighting with it, thinking very soon of going back to the 0411 pcm and efi live and tuning it myself. i'm not mad about it, it's just not designed for these kinds of modifications, they have the sportsman or xfi for that stuff. this is a prime example of having end goals and planning ahead for what you want... but seriously who does that?! if anybody has any experience with this on an ls engine let me know, cause the cpg group of techs don't have any more tech knowledge then most of us, in fact, most of you on here are well beyond a lot of other so called "techs" out there.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:14 AM
Staging Lane

Default patina paint

Shortly after i started the new job at the chevy dealer, they were having a car show, so i splashed some dp90 on the lower portion of the truck, and put some insurance on the truck and burn't a bunch of rubber off trying to get this ez efi some learning time, seems to be a little better, but still not great. sorry no pics of that, i'm beginning to realize to have a better thread i need to take more pictures, i'll try to be a better photographer.
so this last six months or so i have been slowly tinkering away with doing the patina thing. now when i talked about not worrying about the details when it came time for this "fauxtina", i still take pride in doing good quality work on the paint and body, i have a piece of paper that says i'm actually a professional, believe it or not. however i did leave a few dings here and there that i felt would help the overall look, such as the beat up top of the tailgate and a dent in the roof, and some spots on the hood that was solvent popping from the previous prime job.
so on goes a fresh coat of mp283, omnis multi purpose primer surfacer/sealer
Attached Thumbnails version 2.0, still a turd though-patina-paint-001.jpg   version 2.0, still a turd though-patina-paint-002.jpg   version 2.0, still a turd though-patina-paint-003.jpg   version 2.0, still a turd though-patina-paint-004.jpg   version 2.0, still a turd though-patina-paint-005.jpg  

version 2.0, still a turd though-patina-paint-007.jpg   version 2.0, still a turd though-patina-paint-008.jpg   version 2.0, still a turd though-patina-paint-010.jpg   version 2.0, still a turd though-patina-paint-011.jpg  
Old 05-03-2017, 12:16 AM
Staging Lane

Default tailgate

and heres the tailgate
Attached Thumbnails version 2.0, still a turd though-patina-paint-020.jpg   version 2.0, still a turd though-patina-paint-021.jpg   version 2.0, still a turd though-patina-paint-022.jpg   version 2.0, still a turd though-patina-paint-023.jpg   version 2.0, still a turd though-patina-paint-025.jpg  

Old 05-03-2017, 12:32 AM
Staging Lane

Default base and wet sanding

and then i forgot to be a photographer again and didn't get any shots of the base coat.
what i tried to do is keep the base good an even on the lower half below the body lines, where there wouldn't be so much sun fading and or damage. areas like on the roof and bed side tops and hood, i went a little thin here and there so it wouldn't take much to burn through with the wet sanding.
Started wet sanding with 400, tops of fenders where it might look like somebody would be leaning over working under hood, around the door handles from normal wear and tear, bedside top rails, worked over the tailgate top edge pretty well too. I didn't want to over do it like i've seen a lot of peoples attempts of just sanding like crazy over the whole truck, so this took a lot of restraint, and little bit of sanding, stand back look at it, have a beer or two, sand a little more, couple more beer, repeat until desired look achieved or pass out on the garage floor, whichever comes first.
i found that after steps of 400,800,1500, then grey scuff pads, it dosn't look much like i've sanded it but rather that it is the worn out look, so somewhat of a success in that regards.
Attached Thumbnails version 2.0, still a turd though-patina-paint-006.jpg   version 2.0, still a turd though-patina-paint-012.jpg   version 2.0, still a turd though-patina-paint-013.jpg   version 2.0, still a turd though-patina-paint-015.jpg   version 2.0, still a turd though-patina-paint-016.jpg  

version 2.0, still a turd though-patina-paint-018.jpg   version 2.0, still a turd though-patina-paint-026.jpg   version 2.0, still a turd though-patina-paint-027.jpg   version 2.0, still a turd though-patina-paint-028.jpg   version 2.0, still a turd though-patina-paint-029.jpg  

Old 05-03-2017, 12:51 AM
Staging Lane

Default as it sits now

so again, sorry for the lack of photos.
I used flat clear, omni mc 262 with one choice flattening agent slv4985, mixed at 4/4/1, equal parts clear to flattening agent, this came out actually a little flatter than i had wanted, however i am satisfied with it. From what i understand with normal washing and light buffing it will gloss up a bit, so that would be fine. I still need to do a bunch of detail work like touching up the frame where i got some overspray, and painting the brake and chassis components. the interior won't get much attention, i like the look of the ripped vinyl seat, faded dash and door panels, and the hack job shifter tower, ala roadkill c10 style, and no cover for it.
so this is how it sits as of last weekend, summer is coming and i'd like to drive it a bunch. I've got a few things that are on the list for this next month or so, so I'll try to keep it updated as i go.
again i know it's not the normal project on here, but its what i like, eventually I'll step up to something newer and do the usual gmt800 or900 truck and turbo and... but for now, my name is Dale, and this is my turd.
Attached Thumbnails version 2.0, still a turd though-patina-paint-030.jpg   version 2.0, still a turd though-patina-paint-031.jpg   version 2.0, still a turd though-patina-paint-032.jpg   version 2.0, still a turd though-patina-paint-033.jpg   version 2.0, still a turd though-patina-paint-034.jpg  

version 2.0, still a turd though-patina-paint-035.jpg