PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

turbo to super to bigger super to bigger front mount turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thought i would update this old archive finally. Reason i havent posted on this for awhile is because its winter up here, and its sledding season. I'm all about sledding whenever i get a chance. Anyhow, so i had 2 misfires on 5 and 7, turns out 5 had a bad MSD wire and number 7 pulled the heli-coil out of the head, because it failed a compression test. I didnt know that all the rocker arm stud holes are heli coiled in edelbrocks heads. Soo, after Bob (family friend+ expertise mechanic) fixed it by putting an oversized heli coil in. He warmed it up, brought it up to about 3000 rpm in gear, tires did MAYBE 2 revolutions in the garage, the ring and pinion fell out of it!!! There wasnt even 200 km's on this rear end and it crapped out. So i had to get new bearings and a new ring and pinion...again.... so now, my truck is sitting in the garage, waiting for a decent day to trailer it up to tilley to get it tuned... cant wait for this to be over and i can actually drive it!
Old 01-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW! Look at the bright side, most of us have to tow it back to the garage when the R&P breaks. Yours freaking broke in the garage.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:48 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow a lot of work in this truck. why did you get rid of the AWD? that would have been nasty on the street...
Old 01-04-2010, 04:38 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
WOW! Look at the bright side, most of us have to tow it back to the garage when the R&P breaks. Yours freaking broke in the garage.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

i didnt wanna put that much power thru the transfer case and front axle. I was breakin CV's with just the blower on it, let alone a bigger motor and bigger blower. If i were to do this all again, i'm goin to get a car next time and do this. its been a long and painful road so far, hopefully it will pay off in the end!!
Old 01-15-2010, 04:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

i know this may seem silly but you have one of the best cross members ive seen for the 80E conversion. this is a neat build especially for a caddy. I bet people **** them selves when they hear it
Old 01-16-2010, 01:34 AM
On The Tree

thanks for the compliments. well i got some more bad news today. who here has broken their flex plate? apparently its pretty common and apparently thats what mine did when they were road testing on some tuning logs. i just went up there and dragged it back tonight. i'm going to take it back to our shop tomorrow morning and have a better look to see if this is actually the case... i'm crossing my fingers and hoping thats all it is. but on the bright side of it all. they only did a few passes up to 5400 rpm, built 15 pounds of boost. And they are estimating about 750- 800 horse at the crank when they finally scream it, they said the boost is instantaneous and the nearest thing they could compare it to on other dyno pulls is a brand new CTS-V with a pulley swap and some headers and stuff. They said my caddy blows it out of the water. that made me kinda happy...... But as for now, i will fill you all in tomorrow
Old 01-17-2010, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

well. i got my truck back and checked it out, the 6 bolts that hold the flexplate to the crank were backed right out, so i parted the trans from the motor and took them out. brake cleaned them and blew the holes and bolts with air before i threw loctite on them.

After it was all said and done i took a few videos and some part throttle blips with it since it only had a minor tune in it i didnt wanna do anything for too long or full throttle. hope you guys enjoy them..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HzsteCVSEA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1itqjROdptY

Last edited by turboescalade; 01-17-2010 at 08:11 PM. Reason: video
Old 04-23-2010, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

Here's some new pics of my truck (DIRTY) sitting out front of Westers Garage. They are having trouble getting around the RTD and its derating the engine. But all in all they are making progress.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:01 AM
Launching!

There isn't any good tuners in Medicine Hat or just like the guys at Westers? I was going to go down to Westers but found someone locally. Nice build BTW.

Quick Reply: turbo to super to bigger super to bigger front mount turbo