PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Something Different, Something Fresh: My version of an AMA Outdoor National Race Bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 344 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by zuk32
Tom Morgan
Don't think you could really have anyone better
Old 12-22-2016, 12:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blown06
I'll need to ask the owner who did the final port job. It has been touched by two different people. The story with the first porter is a funny one, so I'll get that into and post up tomorrow. I'll get some pics of the heads tomorrow after I cc them.

You're not pooping on my idea. This bike is not being built for that......it wouldn't be AMA legal anyway due to the increased displacement. What I was saying is that if I could get some sponsorship to do a legit race bike and find me a hidden gem of a rider, I'd like to see how my abilities would complete at the pro level. I'm in no way trying to say that I think my abilities to build competitve bikes is just as good as some of of the unlimited budget race teams... I'm not trying to toot my own horn here), but I do think that I build some pretty nice bikes.

I was simply trying to say that it would be fun to see how my role as bike builder/tuner/mechanic would complete with some of the higher level guys. There is no doubt that I would likely fail, but my definition of "fail" in that statement would be not even being able to qualify or get into a main event. To me, 100% success would be making the show, even if we finished last with the bike still running. Please take my comments of wanting to compete at the pro level are about as humble as they can be.......please don't mistake what I'm typing here is conceited or cockiness.

On the other hand, I do feel pretty good about the things we have been doing (especially with this bike). Nothing wrong with that.

... My bad. If you're goal is just to qualify for an AMA motocross event you're already beyond the skills from what I've seen on this bike assuming it runs well and doesn't explode . Lots of the people you see as a 'mechanic' on the line are just beer drinking buddies that hold the bike and the umbrella. I know a couple of guys that have made it into the 450 class with a basic bolt on bike. Pipe, suspension (the real key), maybe a piston, cam and a new set of tires. Same goes for the 250 class, full bolt on bike and a rider that can lay 1 heater lap and you're in.

Another trick is to wait till the tail end of the season for some of the faster guys to get hurt to make a go at it.

Supercross, much harder. The field is half the size, the 450 class is stacked with headliners down to 18th place and you have the 250 coasts that attract more than the outdoors because buddy on a budget doesn't have to travel across the country to hit the whole series.

This post got me thinking about the unlimited budget part, and what I would do with it:

1. closed loop feed back on the motor.
2. adaptive suspension damping that 'learned' the track, and knew what section was coming up.
3. Traction control
4. ABS, usually Id say its for wussies, but it would be cool to play around with
5. Frame sealed up to be filled with nitrous...
Old 12-22-2016, 01:17 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Tom Morgan
There has been a pretty tight lipped approach to some of the engine details. Who the **** are you to know that Tom Morgan did the cylinder/head work?

Originally Posted by wretched73
Don't think you could really have anyone better
As said above, Tom did do the work, but the cylinder on this bike has a story behind it. When we started the Version 1.0 build, the owner bit the bait and sent the cylinder/head to a *** dumpster named Derek Harris, who I understand has operated under at least two different company names. When the cylinder/head and new piston kit was returned after several months of getting the run around from him, it was not even remotely usable. I'm not gonna waist a bunch of time going into specifics, but at the end of the day, it ended in a screaming match over the phone between me and him and then politely asked him to make it right $$$ wise.....which in the end he did. I received great pleasure in knowing that the job he did for us resulted in his company ultimately loosing money.

For anyone following along......don't fall for that *** clowns bullshit lines he will feed you to get your business. Beyond the fact that the final results are total garbage, it was later learned that he doesn't even touch the products at all. He outsources all of his quoted work (to God knows who). Bottom line, don't send business to that guy unless you are willing to get fucked by a skinny little ******* brat that doesn't know **** about combustion engines.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:21 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Tom Morgan
Originally Posted by Blown06
There has been a pretty tight lipped approach to some of the engine details. Who the **** are you to know that Tom Morgan did the cylinder/head work?
Ha Ha, I just looked at your profile and thought about your username for a minute.........Gentlemen, may I introduce the owner of this bike. lol
Old 12-23-2016, 01:21 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Little mock up session. I think its gonna look good...

Name:  IMG_2152_zpsof9z1yjr.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  2.99 MB
Old 12-24-2016, 12:41 AM
8 Second Truck Club

The saga continues on this bike. I was just finishing up cleaning everything to finish the motor and pulled the piston/rings out (which were also sent to Microblue). I'll just say for now we have a big problem. Waiting to see how Craig at Microblue is gonna handle the situation.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:59 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
What kind of machine shop capabilities will you have?
Was combing back through the thread looking for something and overlooked your question.

NASA will want to know where their equipment ran off too.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:43 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Updates halted for now until we get the top end back from microblue. This bike will never get done. lol
Old 01-13-2017, 03:03 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Got the top end back from Microblue so I can get back on moving forward. Few final touches on the cylinder tonight. Tomorrow should be a simple wash the top end part and final assembly. I do have two different heads for this motor (long story). Each one was custom cut a little differently so I’ll cc them and see if I can get a good clay print to figure out which one I’m gonna put on. The bike is ready to rock so there is a small chance for brap or two this weekend. Stay tuned!

Name:  1_zpsewm8orrj.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  2.43 MB

Name:  2_zpsmok7ckgr.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  1.85 MB

Name:  3_zpsket948wx.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  1.95 MB

Name:  8_zpswalhzwok.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  1.59 MB

Name:  5_zpsybkpkyfs.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  1.56 MB
Old 01-13-2017, 08:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 150 Posts

I remember when a third transfer port was exotic and most bikes only had four holes in the cylinder (2 transfers, an intake and an exhaust port). Also reed valves were rare.
Two strokes sure evolved massively in a short period, like twenty years starting in the late 60s. I hope direct injection and other technologies, along with the EPA lightening up a little (like that will happen) will keep two strokes alive.