PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

The never ending Ls swap: Syclone edition

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by JRoyPDX
Nice to see it out and driven!

Gonna get nasty when you turn it up.
I hope not too nasty i like it and where all its components are at now and like to see them stay there..
but to be honest im not sure how high it will be able to go, boost already drops off in upper rpms which isnt a good sign. E85 will only make that worse i believe, Its a blast to drive around on the street tho with this combo..
Old 07-11-2019, 06:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Impressive times on pump gas! I brought mine to the track back in march and it went 10.5@130 on 11.5lb with e70. Like you said, it's just as fast on the street as the track. I think it actually spun alittle at the track compared to dead hooking on the street.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

great pics
The following users liked this post:
skolman91 (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 02:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tweek
Impressive times on pump gas! I brought mine to the track back in march and it went 10.5@130 on 11.5lb with e70. Like you said, it's just as fast on the street as the track. I think it actually spun alittle at the track compared to dead hooking on the street.
Do you have the locker up front? Ive only felt mine spin slightly once or twice and was on bad or dirty roads..
that time was with it shifting 1-3 then locking up the converter, i think it would go 10.40-50 like yours with all 3 gears and a better launch with same setup. Not sure ill try it again tho as i want to get to the e85 and more safety net.
I need to get the trans fixed unfortunitly as it just wont stay in 2nd under wot, drives fine otherwise.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, bully racing built the front diff with the mfactory diff and cryo axle shafts. It's weird because it never spins the fronts, just the rears. I have one video filmed from behind that it's smoking the rears and the fronts going straight down the road. My 15" welds finally came in and 2 of them ended up being the wrong bolt pattern, sent them back last week. Hopefully it will hook up and run some low 10s on wastegate pressure with the 15" mickeys before I turn the boost up. I know the transmission blues all to well, I broke the stock 80e with a shift kit within the first 1k miles. The built 80e I ordered spit the front seal out on the second pass down the track. Sent it back and they fixed it, everything seems to be good now.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Just asking a noob question here. In you engine bay pic. Why does it look like you number 3 plug wire look like it's going to the number 1 plug??
Old 07-12-2019, 06:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jonblarc7
Just asking a noob question here. In you engine bay pic. Why does it look like you number 3 plug wire look like it's going to the number 1 plug??
It goes forward then under the tube because of better clearance. Only the front wires on each side go straight down, all the rest go around and thru places where i had space and the 90* plug boots made sense.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tweek
Yeah, bully racing built the front diff with the mfactory diff and cryo axle shafts. It's weird because it never spins the fronts, just the rears. I have one video filmed from behind that it's smoking the rears and the fronts going straight down the road. My 15" welds finally came in and 2 of them ended up being the wrong bolt pattern, sent them back last week. Hopefully it will hook up and run some low 10s on wastegate pressure with the 15" mickeys before I turn the boost up. I know the transmission blues all to well, I broke the stock 80e with a shift kit within the first 1k miles. The built 80e I ordered spit the front seal out on the second pass down the track. Sent it back and they fixed it, everything seems to be good now.
I bought the oem rebuilt axles off of him also, but the upgraded boots dont fit with my coilovers for some reason and hit.
ill sell them to you or anybody else for reasonably cheap. Just throwin it out there lol
Tweek (07-13-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 11:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very killer build. Enjoyed the whole thread!
skolman91 (08-07-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 01:51 AM
TECH Addict

Took the truck to rpm trans, they have plenty of experience with gm trans obviously and according to them the 4l80 flexes too much without the cast dust shield that bolts to the bellhousing and oem oil pans. If you think of the shield as a wedge support it makes sense, these early gm frames are as stiff as gumby so the actual drivetrain takes alot of the stress.
Anyways without it the case flexes which takes out the pump and no pump= low pressure and the clutches cant hold.

So the dilemma with my setup (and every 4l80 swapped syty) is there is no real room to run the dust shield as the front driveshaft runs thru that area. Also i have a aftermarket pan so no where to attach there (some are using modded oe cast pans for swaps tho still no room for driveshaft).

They machined and put on a sfi bellhousing for less flex, new clutches also upgraded to a better int drum. Im hopefull this will fix it but i have my doubts of course, time will tell. I also sent the converter to get tightend up slightly.
i was trying to get it done in time for ls fest but got it back just barely before and didnt want to rush things i wanted to do.

switched it to e85, only made one test hit but same 12psi and 2 more deg timing feels good, 0-60 in 2.5 and 0-100 in 5.5sec.
will get to the track again at some point.