PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

My ultimate daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I cut open a filter this weekend and there were no shiny bits.

I tossed some 7.30" pushrods in the truck today. That puts me at .050" preload.

There were 2 lifters that were collapsed. I could push down on the pushrod side approximately 3/16". Sounded awful on startup. Once they pumped up, it sounded better than the initial startup, but no better than when I parked it. I took it for a drive around the block and it felt strong. I'll fire it up in the morning and see if it goes back to sounding like its chewing on a toaster.

I'm super pissed I made a mistake on the pushrods. I know better than that.

So now is the big question. If it sounds like when I parked it, do I drive it, or do I park it and pull the heads?
Old 04-23-2019, 09:51 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Drive it and see if it clears up some. If not, Possible you damaged some lifter's and possibly the cam.

How old is the oil?
Old 04-24-2019, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Drive it and see if it clears up some. If not, Possible you damaged some lifter's and possibly the cam.

How old is the oil?
~200 miles. Clear up it didn't.....
Old 04-24-2019, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

***** toast. That sure was a fun week! I have 2 dead lifters. Everything is tight on the driver side, but the passenger side has 2 collapsed lifters.

196,000 miles and a couple bad lifters...... It seems foolish to pull the heads and replace lifters at this point. Wrenches will continue to spin over here. The next setup will be correct!
Old 04-24-2019, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 404 Likes on 318 Posts

Ouch...
Old 04-24-2019, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Yeah.....sucks pretty bad.

Is there a record for driving around with broken parts? I could be a contender!
Old 06-20-2019, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

Turns out I could have driven around for a long time.

When I pulled apart my ~195,000 mile engine, I saw no real damage to the cam or lifters. I know for certain valve actuation components were pissed. I made a video and with the camera next to the driver side valve cover, everything sounds tight. With the camera on the passenger side, everything sounds bad. Kinda sucks that I had to scrap a perfectly fine (**** lifter) short block, but eventually a piston would fail and ruin some fancy heads. I hate wasted steps, so new short block was the answer to that.

The Friday night drags at TMS start tomorrow. That was my goal this year and I'm pretty bummed I can't compete. Hopefully I can get the new mill installed and running correctly to make a pass or two in the coming weeks.

New forged everything short block with ported heads!

This is a pretty small garage, but its packed to the gills with manly ****!

The following users liked this post:
esoteric_ast (10-13-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 05:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 404 Likes on 318 Posts

Get to work!
Old 03-29-2020, 12:13 AM
On The Tree

After almost an entire year of NOT driving a truck, I'm happy to announce this thing is back on MF track. Anyone in this hobby can probably relate.

Pulled out a true soldier. Sad to see it go, but you know....displacement.

I needed to be able to work on this for an hour or two and push it back into my garage. I welded some washers on a section of angle iron to keep the front of the trans up. Not pretty, but it worked.

New forged everything 370. I elected to use some Johnson lifter this time around since the BTR ones killed my high last time.

10% OD looking pretty sexy!

I took some money and stacked it on top of some more money.

Not too long after this I fired it up and the oil pressure was garbage. Long story short, the motor had to come back out for a very expensive ride back to the engine builder. It turns out I'm retarded and the engine builder is **** as troubleshooting. Oil cooler block offs aren't block offs. They're bypasses. The guy I bought the blower from made a funny comment one time; "I wasted an entire day cause I'm a retard." Well, either everyone is capable of a dumbass move or this blower came with retard pills. I installed an Improved Racing oil cooler block and capped off the oil cooler ports. I didn't have an oil cooler plumbed, but figured one day down the road I may need one. I didn't know any better. I told the engine builder no less than 3 times what I had done, but not once did they identify that mistake. All it took was days of work, a ride back to the builder, and them opening one panel of the crate to say, "There's your problem." Made me want to puke and still does. That really killed all enthusiasm for this "daily driver" project.

In an effort to contribute to this forum I'll proceed.

Fancy new engine back out.

Engine going back in after getting a tour of Texas.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Once I got it fired up again, it leaked oil from the passenger valve cover. I dicked with those chinese valve covers 4 times before throwing them in the trash. I picked up some Comp billet ones and made some coil mounts. I had to drill them for the breathers. Turned out pretty good, but once everything is installed you cant tell how much effort was put into them.

If anyone wants to run those LME billet covers, you need to run a low mount alternator. I was super bummed cause these are the sexiest valve covers on the planet.

Quick Reply: My ultimate daily driver