PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

My ultimate daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default My ultimate daily driver

Bought the truck in 2006 with 6,000 miles. 4.8L/4L60/2wd It has been a fantastic truck. Probably the most fun truck I've owned. Over the years I've been slowly gathering parts, reading posts, and rebuilding nearly every system on the truck. Its time for my performance truck thread!

Last spring I was lucky enough to purchase one of the performancetrucks.net moderator's supercharger setup. Right place, right time. I've wanted a blower since I was 7 years old. Finally got it!

My boss thought these photos were hilarious and told me to post them.
This is me eating dinner with my blower.

This is the blower tucked into bed.

Before I stumbled across the blower deal, I had already built my own dual 3" exhaust system. Long tubes, x-pipe, Borla XR-1s, w/ bumper exit truck tips. I posted a thread on here years back about the exhaust. Its been good. Just about as loud as I could get away with. I caught some crap for putting that much exhaust on a stock 4.8......not so silly now.

I've rebuilt the entire front suspension and steering. No photos, but who cares. I've rebuilt the entire rear axle/suspension. New Yukon posi, 4.10 Richmond gears, Yukon axles, bearings, seals, blah blah blah.

I stopped by Jake's Performance Transmissions and picked up a 4l80. I put a Yank 3000 stall converter between it and the gutless 4.8.

I snagged a carbon fiber driveshaft from a member on here 8 years ago! Lol, I've been squirling parts for a long *** time! Funny thing about the driveshaft. I don't need carbon fiber. At the time, I was searching for a yoke. I mentioned to one of my buddies, "Hey, theres a carbon fiber driveshaft on the boards. Think I should get it?" His reply was "Remember in Gran Turismo when purchasing a carbon driveshaft was the last possible pimping you could do to a car......" So I bought it! Peer pressure!

Old 04-05-2019, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Stop what you are doing, and go buy one of these corded underhood lights right now! I've seen many of you with these lights and its a serious game changer.

You need to clearance the power steering bracket for the blower tub. I didn't get a fancy photo when I was finished, but you get the idea.

Cleaning the decks was a real pain in the ***. That took a lot longer than I expected.

Got a cam speced from another mod on here.

Tossed on some new gaskets and TSP ported 243 heads. These have the light weight valves.

ARP Studs

Test fit blower tub. RDS spacer.

Blower

All kinds of extra goodies. Pretty sweet setup.

Old 04-06-2019, 06:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 401 Likes on 316 Posts

Go man go! Looking good!
Old 04-06-2019, 11:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

lookin good!!
Old 04-06-2019, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

nice build! TVS2300 is a big blower for a 4.8, how much boost you plan on running?
Old 04-07-2019, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

TVS2300 is a big blower for a 4.8! The spreadsheet Atomic wrote says I will be seeing between 10-15lbs with a stock crank/3.4" on the blower.

I have pulleys that will lift heads, ruin pistons, and fold rods in half. I plan on building up a forged short block so I can actually use the blower. Right now its just yawning.

I got my first few tastes of boost over the past couple days. I really like it! The truck seems to like it. There is still plenty of work to be done. I have a bunch of wiring that was setup as "proof of concept." Now that things are working as intended, I can get wiring and gauges sorted out. I snagged one of those full length consoles. I plan to get that setup with a few more gauges. Should look like an airplane cockpit after too long!

Big shout out to Atomic for the motor mounts and tuning.

Big ups to Vortec350ss for the cam.

BlackGMC, a very heart-felt whoop whoop on that blower setup. This truck has been transformed into a GD animal.

7 year old me is a very happy boy!

Old 04-07-2019, 01:33 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Glad to see it hasnt blown up yet!

Your reaction at the end of that video made me laugh, glad we got that fixed
Old 04-07-2019, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Atomic
Glad to see it hasnt blown up yet!

Your reaction at the end of that video made me laugh, glad we got that fixed
There's still plenty of time!

Glad YOU got that fixed! My contribution to fixing that was minimal.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 766 Likes on 564 Posts

I'm right at 1 year and 25k miles with my TVS1900 on my bone stock 4.8. Its got a 2.6 pulley and sees 16psi in warm weather and up to 18 when its cold out. Atomic tuned it and I haven't had a single issue with it so far.

Nice truck man!
Old 04-07-2019, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dantheman1540
I'm right at 1 year and 25k miles with my TVS1900 on my bone stock 4.8. Its got a 2.6 pulley and sees 16psi in warm weather and up to 18 when its cold out. Atomic tuned it and I haven't had a single issue with it so far.

Nice truck man!
Word. Thats encouraging.

I haven't matted it yet, but rolling into the throttle is so much freaking fun! This is exactly what I was going for.

Quick Reply: My ultimate daily driver