PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

My 2004 Reg cab stepside

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My 2004 Reg cab stepside

Hello all. Just figured I'd start a thread to kind of compile all my pictures and to track my progress as I'm getting a little more serious about drag racing my truck.

A little info.

I bought the truck in Jan of 2011. I want to say it had around 43xxx MI when I bought it. fairly loaded for a reg cab and was an all stock 5.3L with 3.73 gears. Had Ss wheels and a few Denali /escalade pieces as well. Here's what she looked like.

Drove it for 6 months then a 4/6 drop and some lower profile tires happened.

After that I pretty much drove the truck for 4 years as it was.(about 20k MI)! Only swapping out the muffler to a Gibson and rebuilding the gauge cluster in this time. I was also building my bagged 90 silverado during this time.

Sometime in 2016 the bagged truck was pretty much finished and I wanted something to hit the drag strip. I nearly traded it for a C5 vetted and then almost sold it to buy a Ctsv. Both deals fell through.

Decided to put a small cam, longtubes and get the truck tuned. Truck ran pretty well (around 14.2 I think) but had no traction. Picked up a set of 275/60/15 Mickey Thompson DRs that had a couple runs left and managed to break into the high 13s.
Pic from last year.

Finished off the DRs after race season... (when g80 still worked well)

Pretty much hooked then. Also let the wife make a few passes in it and she was hooked as well. Ended up buying w 2004 Gto roller to put together for her. Also a 5.3 car. While putting an engine in it.. I put an order in at yank for 2 3600 Ss stalls. Truck picked up nearly 8tenths on the converter swap and about 200lb weight reduction . best time after converter was 13.19.

Then I switched to some lighter front wheels, removed a bit more weight elsewhere and cracked into the 12s with w best of 12.94. Very happy with this. I have a nitrous outlet plate kit that I'm about to install...but I wanted to crack into the 12s NA before I did it.

So that pretty much brings us to current day. I'm going to be installing the kit soon so I'll post up pics as that happens. I'm actually in the process of real dying a Denali console that will house the bottle.

I'll try to pull some more pics off my shitbucket account (since I will be deleting it soon) and post them up as well. I'll also try to edit and fill in the gaps with any other pics I find. I'll also take a pic of what all is going on and the future plans.
Few more recent pics..

New rollpan and spoiler mocked up

I'll try to update in a day or 2. Like I said.. Currently working on the center console and modding it to hold the bottle.
The following users liked this post:
Bluecollar Hotrods (07-18-2023)
Old 10-10-2017, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

Made a little progress on the Denali console. Got the bottle fitting nice and all the areas modified that I needed. I had to epoxy a flat piece of plastic where the cupholders and cubby area was but may ad a single cupholder on the far right. Also need to make an access panel so I can get to the bottle valve since it's directly below where the cupholders were.

Console was dyed with SEM dye and couldn't be happier with how it cleaned up. Here's just a few pics. It's about 90% done.

Before...

After...

A few pics of parts going in shortly...

Lincoln locker (Yukon open carrier welded). Will be paired with 4.11 more than likely

TBSS intake, flex fuel injectors, LS2 TB w/nitrous outlet 90mm plate, rush performance x link, lingenfelter Lnc 2000, nitrous outlet window switch and nitrous outlet purge and all lines hardware and wiring for install.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:01 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

That truck is gonna be a ton of fun man. I love the spoiler and rollpan choice, especially on a stepside. Sick truck!

-Russ
Old 10-11-2017, 03:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sub'd

what type of spoiler ?
Old 10-11-2017, 06:25 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks guy's. Love this truck and can't wait for next race season. Shooting for 11.50 on 100-150 shot.

Spoiler is just a fiberglass intiminator style off of eBay. It also Has 2 side caps that wrap around a bit. Hopefully I'll get to painting he roll pan and spoiler this winter.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2004silvy:
Boost-freak (10-14-2017), FrankensteinE.D. (10-11-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

Had a good time at the track the other night. Truck again ran consistent 12.9s until the track went to **** (no prep to begin with). The wife's car cracked into the 12.80s with Her driving...which is as fast as its been. There is one more open test and tune..but not sure if I'll run it.

Probably will get to installing the NO kit. Along with the locker and gears.

Here's just a couple pics of the truck and our "no bucks" GTO.. at the track and afterwards.

Old 10-16-2017, 01:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts
Thumbs up

Nice, I am partial to step sides. What are those front wheels? (brand & size)
Old 10-16-2017, 02:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 86 IROC
Nice, I am partial to step sides. What are those front wheels? (brand & size)
They are GM 7 spoke spares off some of the 2007-2014 trucks and suvs. they are 17x7 and very light. Only about 19#. With a 225 tire wheel and tire package is 42# I believe.
Bluecollar Hotrods (06-08-2018)
Old 11-05-2017, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

Well even hough I said I was done for the year...we went to one more event. Wife wanted to run her car again so figured why not. Truck ended up Going a bit faster again running a 12.86. Couldn't be happier.. Slicks are absolutely shot now and G80 is hating life more now that ever...lol.

Officially done for the year now in he truck at least. If there is one more test and tune I'll prob just make a pass or 2 in he goat. Took a pic of the slip and a couple pics of he truck and goat shoehorned into the garage.

Slip.. 12.86 at 103. 1.81 60ft. Not the best 60 or mph I've seen but fastest ET.

Bunkbeds.....
Bluecollar Hotrods (07-18-2023)
Old 02-01-2018, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

Not much of an update bur I got a few parts in. Ordered new tires for the truck and GTO. Truck is getting stiff sidewall Hoosier 28x10.50 and the car 275/40/17 Mickey Thompson type R DRs. I also have the console done and finally ordered a blow down tube and safety valve.

we also had a mishap with the GTO. We had a hood pin shear off and the hood flew up at 70 and smashed the windshield and roof. So needless to say I've been busy replacing that. Here's a few pics to keep everyone entertained...lol.