PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

LSX 438 Twin Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSX 438 Twin Turbo

Let me hear what you think,

Here is the specks for the motor. It will be a 434 cube motor, 4” stroke. Keep the bore not all the way big, but big enough. This will make sure we have enough wall material to run it hard. Trust me, it will make more than enough power with this bore. J

Custom Diamond IBF pistons, 4.155 Bore, 4" stroke. coated tops
Toolsteel pins
Callies compstar Crankshaft, 4", 2.100
compstar rods, 6.100, 2.100
ARP LS1 Main studs
LS2 Head stud Kit
Machine shop charges, including bearing
Synergy Custom Camshaft
Stage 2 L92 heads, Double springs, stainless steel valves, ect
l92 rocker setup, upgraded bearings from Harlan sharp
Chromoly Pushrods
Double Roller timing chain
High volume oil pump
engine gasket set, front and rear cover gasket, water pump, crank and rear main oil plugs, ect
assembly of motor

Don't hold back, give me some info.
I don't know most of the names he used, diamand IBF pistons, Who is IBF
compstar crankshaft--- who's compstar
who's Harlan sharp?

I purposely left out the prices, I don't want to get raged on for it being to high. I am going with the best in Northern Calif, sometimes the best is more expensive
Mark

Last edited by 04Denali; 06-27-2007 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Harlan Sharp Is Good... I Had Sopme Old Harlan Sharp Rocker Arms On My Boat Bbc.... Great Quality From What Ive Used Of Them
Old 04-05-2007, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

personally i would go with more stroke. probably like max strok 4.250 .
Old 04-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

More stroke=worse engine harmonics, more oil consumption, increased piston skirt wear, lower rpm limit the list goes on.

Personally I like the 4" stroke, if I had it to over again I would have a 408 not a 418. Im not too big of a fan of the DIamond pistons due to them usually being atleast 40grams heavier then a comparable piston and they are known to have oiling issues.

Harland Sharp does alot of work on the LS1 stuff. What Harland does it take the stock rockers and take the needle bearings out and either switch them to bushings or go to a roller bearing setup, more reliable then needle bearings.

Since you didnt want to list the price I dont even want to know, just dont get too stuck on one engine builder just because of their rep, there aint much to building and engine to make max hp as far as shortblock assembly. Just comes down to ring gap and bearing tolerances. Main thing I would pay for is him spec'ing the motor out and his cam choice not his ability to file a ring and check bearing tolerances. Just my .02 though, my local builder charges 300 to put a shortblock together and I just give him the specs I want it built to, since Im lazy and dont have the patience
Old 04-05-2007, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

im doing a similiar build but thinkin more of a 454, good luck with your build man Im sure you have better funds and get it done before I do. Hell you already got it on order.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2004SSS
personally i would go with more stroke. probably like max strok 4.250 .
My engine builder is not a fan of Stroke.
Thanks Guys
Mark
Old 04-05-2007, 10:33 PM
Fast lane preferred

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Callies (compstar) stuff overall seems to be somewhere between Eagle and Lunati as far as quality goes. So pretty good in my opinion, but no personal experience, just research I have done.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

By what means will the un-lucky air molecules be fed into this monster? I would use the melling oil pump with the factory stiff spring. The melling pumps don't usually work with the double rollers, so an ls2 timing set would be good. I have Wiseco pistons for my build, fwiw.

edit. The Lunati "non-twist" cranks are forged in the shape they arrive. Typically the cranks are forged straight and journals twisted after, which may leave some residual stress. I don't see many forged cranks of any type causing failure, I have a Callies Dragonslayer and Compstar rods for mine.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:08 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

$9200? (total shot in the dark)

Rick@Synergy is a BadMofo, so if you're talking about Synergy, you are in good hands. Anybody can order a bunch of parts and slap them together, but when it comes to putting together a combo and dialing it in, as well as customer service, I think your in good hands with Synergy. Go ahead, tell us the details...we're all friends here.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BADMOFO
$9200? (total shot in the dark)

Rick@Synergy is a BadMofo, so if you're talking about Synergy, you are in good hands. Anybody can order a bunch of parts and slap them together, but when it comes to putting together a combo and dialing it in, as well as customer service, I think your in good hands with Synergy. Go ahead, tell us the details...we're all friends here.
yes, Rick from Synergy is doing the Build, Should have the Block by the end of next week,
you are a pretty good shot.
Mark

Quick Reply: LSX 438 Twin Turbo