PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

LQ4 out 5.3 Turbo In (Trials and Tribulations)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 136 Likes on 97 Posts

Cool build man! Seems like you’ve been through the ringer with it.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:45 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Truck was over heating in traffic turns out the E-Fans weren't working. So before summer starts I went to replace the whole cooling system. New water pump, double thick radiator, Nelson Harness and E-Fans. The E-Fan brackets didn't work so I made my own. I have the trans cooler in a temporally spot for now until I can find a more permanent location probably right under the intercooler behind the lower valance.

Old 03-02-2020, 06:50 PM
Launching!

Got everything together that night at 12am and went to work at 7am. The truck didn't get hot enough to check and see if the new fans turned on. Went to get into my truck for lunch to let it idle and get hot enough and it wouldn't start. Going through the check list I saw I had 0 fuel pressure and the fuse in my hotwire kit was blown. Replaced the fuse and still 0psi. I can't hear the normal "whine" my Walbro 450 made when the key was turned to "ON" so I am thinking the pump died after 1 year. Bought a new pump that day. So now time to take off the bed and replace the pump in the tank. Got to love AAA
Old 03-02-2020, 06:57 PM
Launching!

When I dove into the truck to prep it for the new fuel pump I found out the stud on the back of my alternator would just freely spin when trying to take off the nut on the stud. So I bought a new 145amp alternator and going to go through my hot wire kit and make sure it and the relay is 100%. I think this "loose" stud fried my fuel pump, E-Fans and maybe battery. All these things were running off that stud on that alternator in one way or another. So I also bought a new battery. Walmart Maxx. Hope to have it running again in 4 days at the latest.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:14 PM
Launching!

So after a new Walbro 450, Battery, Alternator, and some over night shipped connectors and relays I got my truck running again after about 2 weeks of being down. I still need to get the truck to heat up to see if the E-Fans will turn on. With the new thicker Radiator and the cold temps we have been getting at the end of winter it is kinda of hard with normal idling and driving. Here is what was causing my no fuel pressure problem besides the blown fuse on the hotwire kit. I also relocated my transmission cooler from between the intercooler and radiator to below the intercooler in the lower valance. Now I have to be extra careful not to go over any bumps too fast.

Old 03-12-2020, 09:46 AM
Ertoys

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Great write up, thank you for posting!
Old 06-22-2020, 12:57 PM
Launching!

Decided to buy Atomic Fab's coilover kit and rear shock relocation kit. Got the coilovers on and was recommended by Richard I also get McGaughy's 2" drop spindles. Still playing with the double adjustable settings on the coilovers. My ride height was dead on the same which I didn't want to change. Richard went above and beyond helping and answering my annoying questions. Really happy with it. Getting the alignment later today. Don't know exactly when the rear shocks and brackets will go down I have to track down a welder or a machine to get it done.

Old 08-11-2020, 11:08 AM
Launching!

One more picture of the coil over.

Coolers under my intercooler sitting behind my lower valance

AN lines coming out of the trans

Oil cooler adapter and sensor

Showing the trans fluid lines going from radiator to cooler down below

Last edited by JonToski187; 08-11-2020 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:15 AM
Launching!

Some pretty bad taken pictures of the 2 new coolers I installed. One is an oil cooler and one is a trans cooler. I am running the trans fluid through my new radiator and into a remote cooler as well. The oil cooler has it's own dedicated lines for feed and return idle oil pressure went from 60psi to 50psi. With an oil temp sensor and now a oil temp gauge in my triple pillar pod inside the cab. All fluid lines are 6AN braided lines. with -6AN fittings going into the transmission. I installed these because in heavy traffic here in Seattle on a 85 degree day or more I would have to blast my heater in traffic to help cool the truck even after the bigger radiator and E-Fans. It took more to get it that hot but it was still getting too hot.

Who knows how hot my oil was getting I would assume over 250 degrees. Now with the coolers and fans that I have hooked to a 2 way switch inside the cab the oil won't go above 190 degrees in the same traffic. With the fan on it sits at 160 degrees. Now I don't have to blast my heater on a hot summer day. Cooling would probably be even better if my lower valance had a cutout where my coolers are. Like my SS bumper did.

Old 08-12-2020, 11:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Just remember that too cold of oil won't burn off any condensation built up in it. Getting the oil above 200-210 to burn it off isn't bad.

Quick Reply: LQ4 out 5.3 Turbo In (Trials and Tribulations)