PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Forged 370 coming together.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 01:37 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sooooo....Update, kinda.
Been putting some miles on it, trying my hardest to keep out of boost
Drove down to San Diego on monday morning which is about 170 miles from my house. Except for one small instance where I accidentally go into too much boost (will not say how high because I know Rex and richard might read this and get mad at me), the trip down went well. After class I went back out and started my truck up and heard a real loud clicking noise. After some checking, it looks like it was coming from the Valvetrain, also found out that I lost ALL the oil out of my engine...
There's been a small leak since the swap but had asked the tuning shop to take care of it but I guess they didn't. Still had oil pressure so I must of had some kinda bottom left in the pan thank god!
Found a bit of oil under the truck as well(and tonight when I got home noticed a lot of oil spots where I park my truck...slow leak), also for a fe minutes after start up truck was spitting out water (condensation) out of the exhaust. Had to check but it was water. I thought it was an awful lot though.
Took a vid in case any of you want to take a stab at what the clicking sound was. Went to a boat supply store which was just around the corner and filled my truck up with some 40W and clicking subsided somewhat. Richard told me it was probably the tappets (sp) seeing that I was so low on oil.
Thanks to MoreGrip who I called since I was in his area and needed advice, I have an idea of what or where my leak may be coming from, drove it back today...staying out of boost the whole way and made it back fine. Gonna go get the leak looked at today as well as my busted A/C and other minor things.
Here's the vid...any other opinions as to what it might be?

[url=http://videos.streetfire.net/video/67dd342d-e28b-49aa-ba0f-997d00262095.htm]Clicking sound coming from Valve train...tapets maybe?
Old 08-01-2007, 01:51 AM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bud i heard that sound before...that sound never lasted long and motor eventually shuts itself off

also thats a **** load of moisture, i seen that much before when my head gasket in my mustang went bad
Old 08-01-2007, 02:09 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought it might of been that too but coolant level seems ok right now. Although when my boost spiked heading down to SD it definetly coulda blown a head gasket but....
In my old set-up I had drilled a small hole in the last hot pipe before the turbo and drained maybe 2 cups of water from my hot side. I'm gonna drill a hole in this one and take a vid just so people know how much condensation builds up with these STS kits.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:12 AM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

water woudlnt worry me that much. its that noise. that noise will cause you issues soon but i sure hope it wont. tear downs are not fun
Old 08-01-2007, 04:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm with Quick. The tapping does not sound healthy bro.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, the water wouldn't concern me as much as the tapping. All vehicles get condensation after initial start up in the morning. You better pull the valve covers to see what's up!
Old 08-01-2007, 07:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bummer! I feel for ya....having my own probs too. Mine's been away for 5wks mostly due to a sloppy builder and my not being willing to drive it til its running like the tune is from GM. Thats a lot of oil to lose and cuda done more damage than u think - its a new mill after all! I'd definately have those covers pulled and maybe even the heads to check the cyl wall wear if u find anything in the valve train. As for the water, I'd heard about the condensation from STS units...One thing I always do is drill a small pin hole in the bottom of my mufflers just under the exit tube to drain any water that collects. I always viewed mufflers as designed to fail after a certain time due to exactly that prob. R/
Old 08-01-2007, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

dam man that sucks , keep us updated on what the valve train looks like when you pull the covers.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:19 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

get those valve covers off!
Old 08-01-2007, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

Default Spoolin's Truck

I just checked out his motor and the noise has gone away.I would say he was very low on oil.When he brought it to WCCH this afternoon,The lifter had pumped up and the noise has disappeared.Oil Pressure is 70LBS. His oil leak is A hairline crack in the side of the oil pan. HMMMMM wonder how that happened????? We even went to lunch. Julian, PUT some gear in that thing. Rex.........

Quick Reply: Forged 370 coming together.