PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

doing a little work

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 10:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default doing a little work

wanting to paint the exterior door handles on my 2005 single cab silverado. what is the easiest way to paint them to match? as well as the bumper shrouds front and rear? need some advice as im doing it all myself
Old 01-30-2012, 10:22 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are your trying to do it with a spray gun or rattle can?
Old 01-30-2012, 11:00 PM
Teching In

whichever i can afford lol. but i can get ahold of spray guns. i have a few buddies with shops. but if i have to last resort would be rattle can. would it be easier to sand and self etching primer the handles then get a spray gun to paint them?
Old 01-30-2012, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by My05Chevy
wanting to paint the exterior door handles on my 2005 single cab silverado. what is the easiest way to paint them to match? as well as the bumper shrouds front and rear? need some advice as im doing it all myself
I installed escalade mirrors & roof rack on my suburban I went to the dealer and bought the factory paint in spray cans painted them also painted my bow ties its about $8 a can and its a perfect match looks like factory paint job

I had the wheel covers painted by a shop and they are one or two shades darker

Old 01-31-2012, 08:58 AM
TECH Addict

doing a little work-v17bcl.jpg
Old 01-31-2012, 11:15 AM
Teching In

Stroker, how did you go about painting the bow tie? Did you take it off and paint it or keep it in? And what did you use to paint it, as in how did you? Sand primer paint what?
Old 01-31-2012, 11:34 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best way to paint anything is to take all parts of. It takes time, patience to do it rite. Prepping it, is the biggest part. If you have access to paint guns then a shop matched paint is the way to go. But if you are trying to do it on a tight budget, you can always get the paint that is (SUPPOSED) to match. I have seen it match perfect, not so good, wtf color was he thinking before. No need to use etching primer on plastic. Metal, it is a good idea. You need some good primer/ paint promoter, the best clear you can get( preferably) some ppg or dupont, other wise I have had good luck with rust o lium crystal clear(rattle can) or transtar JAMMIN clear( 14 buks a can but pretty decent stuff). It is acrylic but works well, buffs decent. Just will not have the HARD skin such as a good auto clear.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Stroker, how did you go about painting the bow tie? Did you take it off and paint it or keep it in? And what did you use to paint it, as in how did you? Sand primer paint what?
I just lightly wet sanded with a fine grit to give the paint something to stick too then just painted no primer was used, I did remove the bow ties the rear on my suburban was double face taped i used fishing line to cut true it, its a little tricky cause there is two pins on the emblem to aline it

i painted the roof rack caps, mirrors & emblems the same way the spray cans from the deal works really good I just buffed mine out after I panted them, two be honest never even cleared them just every now and then buff them to keep them shined up

I got my paint code went to the local "gm dealer" and bought the paint (not a auto part) after i did mine some friends and family done there emblems no one had a bad match using the dealer purchased paint cans but the quality of the job varied some should not be aloud to touch paint LOL!

Last edited by stroker87; 01-31-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:41 PM
Teching In

i will paint the bow ties black, my truck is a maroon color. im going to paint the rest of the grill to match and put a billet grill. paint the mirrors, handles, bowties, bumpers. cant decide if i should shave the tailgate or keep it original. I just sanded it down and fixing to sand the bed down. THe bed had a hercules liner from oreillys and was terrible. so sanding all the way down and putting in a Line-X.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

i will paint the bow ties black, my truck is a maroon color. im going to paint the rest of the grill to match and put a billet grill. paint the mirrors, handles, bowties, bumpers. cant decide if i should shave the tailgate or keep it original. I just sanded it down and fixing to sand the bed down. THe bed had a hercules liner from oreillys and was terrible. so sanding all the way down and putting in a Line-X.
if your truck the same color as my suburban? if it is I have the factory painted handles i'll trade you for yours if there chrome?

Quick Reply: doing a little work