PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

blue and boosted 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 11:59 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default blue and boosted 5.3

whats up guys? nnbs afm lifter collapsed so good excuse for cam swap.
thanks to guys here and ls1 tech, im attempting to turbo my weekend and tow rig for some fun. here are a little pictures and info on the build. not in a huge rush but need the truck running fairly soon. thanks in advance for any input or advice this is my first build so ill take what i can and run with it. got most of the parts from guys on here.

parts:
-ls7 lifters/trays
-ls9 cam/gaskets
-beehive springs .600" lift
-stock eveything else
-7.4 pushrods
-new valve seals
-80# injectors stock flex pump going to see what it can do
thats about it for the swap. pretty simple keeping it stock but throwing boost at it eventually. thanks

here are all the parts for dod delete and swap

front end tear down

radiator gone pass side

driver side

front drive system almost off

i eventually got the front ed apart and will pull the balancer another day after work and i have to rent the tool. yes im doing this in the street in front of my house lol only space i got damn boat.

will post pics and progress as the days go. but i have a day job so it interferes with the build but also funds it lol
Old 10-29-2018, 12:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

I'm sad you went with a LS9 cam in a heavy truck, it's gonna be pretty lazy down low for sure unless that turbo spools reeeeeallllllly fast.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:43 AM
Launching!

Well haven’t installed it yet. Got it for $60. I was thinking about a smaller turbo for the spool. What do you recommend. I have an old ls1 cam I thought about using but I don’t want a custom grind cam for this. Being a heavy truck like you said I want about 50-70 more hp/tq na before I throw boost at it so it helps the cam. Thinking about going back to stock but the cam falls off I still want to pull on mustangs lol
Old 10-29-2018, 10:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

The LS9 cam needs more cubic inches and a positive displacement directly on top of it to make it worth it. The design of the camshaft just doesn't suit the 5.3 in a truck.

A LS1 camshaft would work great though, A little extra power straight away plus it will take great to boost, don't expect 50-70hp from that camshaft being NA, you need a must more aggressive camshaft to do that. You just need the new 4x cam gear and bolts to make it work.

Most turbo kits from KB racing or Trick turbo come with like 70-75mm turbo's, perfect for daily drivers and will come up on boost quickly. If you plan to make your own kit, then a similar sized turbo is the way to go for 500hp.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

As a guy with ~20k with an LS9 cam and a Procharger under my belt, you will be disappointed. I even advanced mine 4 degrees, still wasnt ****. It now lives in a 6.2 truck that is also lazy down low, while I have a 212/218 from TSP that rips outta the hole.

I dont know a lot about cam choice for turbo builds, a blower guy myself; but I can say, with proof that the LS9 cam is not a wise choice for your goals.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

212°/218° .600" 112° to 115° depending on how much chop you want at idle is a damn fine N/A truck 5.3 cam that should take well to boost.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:16 PM
Launching!

I can fit inside

Stupid dod valley cover

Intake is loose tryin to free the fuel rails but need the tool I guess unless there’s a faster/diy way you guys know
Thanks guys but by the way the price for that cam and everything shipped for an extra 25 hp/tq doesn’t seem worth the grind to me. But since I was replacing my cam anyways cause the lifter failed then I might want a stock cam for now so now tune it stall is needed but will take well to boost. Maybe 70 hpwas far fetched but I don’t want to sacrifice the low end for the use of my truck. Great Advice guys much appreciated. I’ll look for a 6.0 or later 90-00’ ls1 clamor a cheap 212/216 off eBay. But they’re still over 250 and the stock cams are cheap. Wish I didn’t toss my stock lm7 cam I had. Could have used it on this. I have a 3 bolt cam gear from the lm7 I tore apart hays getting twins and boosted by hays going to be a long project that I take my time on and install it into something cool and fast. Just prepping it. But the truck is priority now. Anyone have ls1 or 6.0 cam they’ll let go for cheap. I’ll save the Ls9 for the big build
Old 10-30-2018, 09:18 PM
Launching!

Got valley cover timing cover off today only was able to work imon it an hour or so but tomorrow exhaust is removed and then hopefully start getting the heads off the start the swap
btw I have a nnbs intake for sale and a nbs 6.0 intake I began to shave and didn’t plastic weld it. Both for sale now.
08 5.3 nnbs 4 bolt truck intake-$60 you ship

02 6.0 3 bolt intake shaved but not finished-$30 you ship?obo

Old 11-02-2018, 08:39 PM
Launching!

Got the heads and everything off to access the cam. Still undecided on the cam but found a ls1 cam locally but rather swap the cam for something better but I can’t have the truck down much longer already for one parking ticket lol any cam suggestions for boost stock 5.3 stock converter for now or maybe a trailblazer converter later on?
Old 11-04-2018, 12:57 AM
Launching!

after i pulled the heads

little cleanage

shaved truck intake color matched my truck. this is the color scheme for my build it will be blue and chrome. also put the beehive springs and trunion rockers on the heads also. waiting for my cam. got a ls1 cam for free basically i aid shipping 30$

fabing up hot-side for turbo now. front facing manifolds with crossover pics coming soon.

need an intercooler kit to support my goals if anyone can help or know where to pick one up? thanks

Quick Reply: blue and boosted 5.3