PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

AWD LSA Denali aka Z-NaL1 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 11:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default AWD LSA Denali aka Z-NaL1 Build Thread

Whats up fellas,

Been a member for quite some time, after getting my SS stolen a couple years back, I jumped onto the next best thing being a 08 Sierra Denali.
Background on the truck, its a completely stock L92 AWD truck, with on a drop, and a bunch of bells and whistles.
This will be the first truck/LS build i do completely by myself, so i will probably have a lot of questions.

Engine:
L92 that i will be slapping an LSA blower on, at the same time i will be opening her up to install a BTR Stage 3 cam, PDS cam, i picked up some Morrel lifters, BTR dual springs with titanium retainers, new push rods, LS9 head gaskets, VVT delete, and ARP head studs.

Bolt ons wise, I picked up some 1-7/8" headers from SE, and their true dual X pipe. I had ran into a guy here locally that gets corsa sport mufflers all the time, and was going to buy two truck mufflers off of him but found a sweet deal on a full Corsa Extreme exhaust and jumped on that instead. The issue with the truck mufflers wouldve been they are to fat to fit side by side, so i wouldve had to get some S pipes to offset at the X pipe, luckily this deal came up and the two mufflers fit even better.

The beauty of the extreme exhaust is that its still 3" piping and the extra bent pipe, i want to re-use to have the tips taper out in front of the rear wheel. I want to keep as much Corsa piping as possible and mandrel bends.

The supercharger i will keep as is for the mean time, maybe in the future i will port it, but luckily i had a smaller 2.55 pulley, to compensate for the smaller balancer on the truck. Lid will be a ZL1 lid, and im hoping to find some injectors soon to be able to run e85.

Fueling, i have no idea on what i should do, i want to run e85 as much as possible, ive gotten mixed opinions, some say 1000cc injectors, and dual 450 pumps, others say i should be okay with the new walbro 525, maybe someone can chime in on that.

Transmission:
Tranny wise i will keep everything mostly stock.. i will be slapping on a Circle D 2800 stall, and call it a day.
I posted a pic of the stall, ive never seen an aftermarket one, but i got this one off a ZL1 owner and dont know much more than that.

I also picked up a trans cooler that Im not sure what brand it is, the guy told me he ran it in line on a denali truck, using this one and the stock one, never seen that done before.

Suspension:
Currently she sits at about a 4.5/7 drop with helper bags. The plan is to bag it soon keeping the AWD, i have a couple ideas for bagging the front, hopefully I can get some good advice from you guys, and before anyways knocks the idea, i have a good about of experience droppping AWD trucks. My previous SS everyone said you couldnt go lower than 3 inches, but managed to safely and reliably run it at 5/7 on 22's. and then i started seeing everyone picking it up and doing it to their SS's as well. So i dont mind being the test mule.

The rear i will be running a ChassisFab air bag kit, love their design, and a great bang for the buck.

Any questions or advice i will be all ears, i will try to make the TX2k19 deadline but only time will tell.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you thought about coilovers on the front
Old 02-20-2019, 02:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i am going to keep an eye on this one i have a 2008 gmc denali as well, weird thing is i got it after my ss was stolen as well hahahah
Old 02-20-2019, 03:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 408gto
Have you thought about coilovers on the front
Im actually going with like a "coilover" setup for the front.
Im brainstorming the idea of some Fox 2.0 shocks, which come as a coilover, and instead of the coil spring, putting a bag over strut bag, like the ones universal air sells.

Originally Posted by cooperthetrooper
i am going to keep an eye on this one i have a 2008 gmc denali as well, weird thing is i got it after my ss was stolen as well hahahah
Haha nice! Yeah if it would have been up to me i wouldve gone with another SS, but the wife now, gf at the time, recommended something more "thinking towards the future" aka kids. Lol.
So the next best thing was a Denali since they no longer make them AWD.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

U might want to talk with atomic he has the parts to do the coilovers on the 99-06 so he probably has parts for the nnbs also plus bunch of other things
Old 02-21-2019, 07:21 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 408gto
U might want to talk with atomic he has the parts to do the coilovers on the 99-06 so he probably has parts for the nnbs also plus bunch of other things
Well the NNBS front suspension is like a coil over spring design from the factory.
The fox 2.0 are actually a stock replacement unit, with height adjustment like any other coilover, so I dont think i would need the atomic brackets just yet.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:25 AM
TECH Regular

Anybody have any idea if the stall converter i posted looks right? Not sure how an aftermarket one is supposed to look.
As well as what brand of trans cooler ive got? Possibly a how to it?

Also a question thats been sitting on my mind.
When im getting ready to remove my heads, do i need to put the rockers at TDC in order to unbolt them, or can i unbolt straight out without putting every cylinder at TDC one by one?
Old 02-21-2019, 10:58 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

You don't have to be at TDC but helps. It's a little more difficult to break them loose and unbolt them when they are fully compressed.

Converter looks like a GM factory one but need the Code off it to see what it is. I am guessing they put it in the box after replacing it with a circle D

Cooler... There is a few ways to Skin a Cat.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kaze_v8
Im actually going with like a "coilover" setup for the front.
Im brainstorming the idea of some Fox 2.0 shocks, which come as a coilover, and instead of the coil spring, putting a bag over strut bag, like the ones universal air sells.

Haha nice! Yeah if it would have been up to me i wouldve gone with another SS, but the wife now, gf at the time, recommended something more "thinking towards the future" aka kids. Lol.
So the next best thing was a Denali since they no longer make them AWD.
that is exactly word for word for word why i got mine hahah
Old 02-23-2019, 10:25 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah I have determined it is indeed a stock until..
since I will probably buying another, what size do you guys recommend.

Circle D has a 26-2800 option or a 30-3200 option.

i have a buddy selling me a yank 3600 for pretty good price, but I’m thinking it will be to high for my setup.

Quick Reply: AWD LSA Denali aka Z-NaL1 Build Thread