PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Another RCSB Duramax and SAS

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the progress of doing the same thing to my reg cab long bed 2wd silverado.(2003 4.8) I was thinking of moving everything on the frame forward instead of cutting the frame. Would that work or am I missing something?!
Also how did you figure the location if the front spring perches? Did you just measure centerline if the leaf spring mounts before you cut the frame?
Are those spring perches a oem part, or did you cut them off a wrecked shortbed truck?
Old 07-26-2013, 08:19 AM
Piss Pumps for Sale

Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, The True North Strong and Free!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98tdi
I am in the progress of doing the same thing to my reg cab long bed 2wd silverado.(2003 4.8) I was thinking of moving everything on the frame forward instead of cutting the frame. Would that work or am I missing something?!
Also how did you figure the location if the front spring perches? Did you just measure centerline if the leaf spring mounts before you cut the frame?
Are those spring perches a oem part, or did you cut them off a wrecked shortbed truck?
Cutting everything off and moving it forward would work, I personally think its more work that way, the way I did it you cut the factory weld remove the desired amount and slide in back together and reweld, that way the tank crossmember, shock crossmember and sparetire crossmember are all in factory locations for the short bed. I bought these springhangars new feom my gm dealer simply because I could not find anyused from a short bed 2500. Its actually really easy to locate them. Drive the rivits off holding the old perches on. Now the top most forward rivit hole will now be the top most rear bolt on the new hangars. To confirm this I did measure from the center of the front hubs back 119" to the center of the rear axle to confirm the location. The rivit hole trick may or may not work on a 1500
Old 07-26-2013, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

Badass progress and build
Old 07-28-2013, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Chevy Cowboy
Cutting everything off and moving it forward would work, I personally think its more work that way, the way I did it you cut the factory weld remove the desired amount and slide in back together and reweld, that way the tank crossmember, shock crossmember and sparetire crossmember are all in factory locations for the short bed. I bought these springhangars new feom my gm dealer simply because I could not find anyused from a short bed 2500. Its actually really easy to locate them. Drive the rivits off holding the old perches on. Now the top most forward rivit hole will now be the top most rear bolt on the new hangars. To confirm this I did measure from the center of the front hubs back 119" to the center of the rear axle to confirm the location. The rivit hole trick may or may not work on a 1500
Great information! I didn't think about all that. I am for sure just going to do it the way you did. About how much we're your brackets?
Old 07-28-2013, 04:13 PM
Piss Pumps for Sale

Originally Posted by 98tdi
Great information! I didn't think about all that. I am for sure just going to do it the way you did. About how much we're your brackets?
No problem, any other questions let me know. I think I paid around 100 each for them, I have some spare ones for a half ton shortbed if your interested.

Also been meaning to update this, truck is driveable. Everything except the e-brake cable is done, still needs paint, working on the bumpers right now aswell as the sas brackets and doing the rocker panels and can corners. Truck drives straight as an arrow, no shimmy shakes or vibrations. Turbo spools so much quicker with the new exhaust and downpipe. Being shortwheel base 2500 she rides pretty harsh, hopefully the dodge dana 60 and coils will fix that
Old 07-28-2013, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

I was just curious on how you ran your 5" exhaust especially under the cross member under the cab
Old 07-29-2013, 01:06 PM
Piss Pumps for Sale

Originally Posted by 99LsSilverado
I was just curious on how you ran your 5" exhaust especially under the cross member under the cab
there's enough room on a 2500 to run it between the cab and the frame cross members
Old 07-29-2013, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

So you took out the jaunt under the rear most cross member under the cab.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:17 PM
Piss Pumps for Sale

Originally Posted by 99LsSilverado
So you took out the jaunt under the rear most cross member under the cab.
The jaunt? There was nothing i had to take off, I just ran it in the stock exhaust location
Old 07-29-2013, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

Name:  D22CD9D8-36F8-4BF3-9300-659D10357487-13861-00000CC0BEF0E30E_zpsd8c6de1a.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  33.4 KB
This is the drivers side frame rail. Would I cut it in front of the tire and then remove the excess material and slide the rear back I to the front?
Or remove material from the rear portion and slide it back together?

Quick Reply: Another RCSB Duramax and SAS