PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

72 Ford onto 2002 F150 chassis

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 02:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not much of an update but for me this is one of the most beautiful bumpy mess of spot welded sheet metal I've ever seen and do you now why I say that? Because I'm finally finished spot welding the bed back together and welding the seam on both sides of the bed. It's very nice to be done with this part of the build, that is for sure!

Why do I keep seeing bright flashes of light every time I close my eyes.... oh yeah 10,000 spot welds later might have something to do with it....
Old 02-13-2012, 01:39 AM
Staging Lane

Pulled out the 36 grit sanding disc and went to town on the passenger side and got it all striped down to bare metal. Then mixed up some filler and started coating it. Yep the dreaded "B" word "Bondo " lol but hey I'm a realist, I know I'll never get this old bed straight without it and I've already filled in with metal filler. So all the bondo is for is to find the lows and fill them in.... hmmm... isn't that what body filler was for??? oh yeah it is...lol Anyway started to knock it down today and you can see that I have a lot of sanding to do but most of the filler is sanding off and should only be a skim coat in most places by the time I'm done.

Over all not perfect but working on it, the body line is starting to show, just a few more hundred hours of blocking ...lol
Old 02-13-2012, 01:43 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Ive read this thread twice since youve created it, and you do awesome work and its turned out really nice!!

But what was the main advantage for going through all the work of swapping frames? Suspension and steering gear?
Old 02-13-2012, 02:52 AM
Staging Lane

Ive read this thread twice since youve created it, and you do awesome work and its turned out really nice!!

But what was the main advantage for going through all the work of swapping frames? Suspension and steering gear?

Suspension, steering, and disc brakes at all for wheels. These are the areas that are always talked about on the 67-72 ford trucks because they relied on the springs in the bench seat for suspension...lol and some had power steering but most didn't and the steering gear box wasn't real great ether. The brakes were drum brakes all the way around. So most guys are always trying to find ways to up grade these areas. Plus the 02 just kinda fell in my lap so I looked and looked to see if anyone had tried this yet, couldn't find anyone who had so I figured what the hell I'll give it a shot. Haven't found any reason yet to stop so I just keep plugging away at it.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:47 PM
Teching In

Default Nice!

Great thread! I've always wanted to see someone do this!
Old 02-18-2012, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

Finally made up my mind about the bed stake holes on my truck. I've seen other guys weld them up and I really liked the look but I still plan on using it as a truck when it's done so just wasn't sure about it. The 2002 bed had bolt in tie downs, so I'm going to use them. So I got to work cutting out little plates to fit each hole.

Labled them all (because I found out that eventhough they all look the same they are not)
Then flipped them over and sprayed them with weldable primer on the bottom.

Then put them back in place and started tacking them down.

With that done I got out the grinder and smoothed it all out

Nice and flush with the top of the bed.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep reading this every time there's an update. Still quite an awesome task and a great build!
Old 02-18-2012, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the work u do is jaw dropping man
Old 02-18-2012, 10:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Dang this is going to be awesome. In for more updates!
Old 02-18-2012, 11:18 PM
Teching In

I'm not a Ford guy by ANY means, but this is one sweet build!! I can respect a creative mind though, keep doin what you're doin my good man

Quick Reply: 72 Ford onto 2002 F150 chassis