PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   PROJECTS GALLERY (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/projects-gallery-189/)
-   -   2018 LTZ Z71 Redline 6.2/8 speed (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/projects-gallery-189/2018-ltz-z71-redline-6-2-8-speed-552573/)

Choda 06-12-2019 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS (Post 5464109)
Hows the flare you mentioned on shifts/how the trans feel after the TCM tune. You said several times it flares and then you had the trans tune done. How does the transmission itself feel now after the trans tune?

I thought I documented this in the 8 speed thread but the flare is still there, not as much as stock. My tuner said he likes it tighter than factory but still smooth instead of the typical shift kit kick during every shift at any rpm. When I floor it, it shifts great. I believe I read somewhere that GM does that on purpose to make the 7 shifts as non noticeable to the driver as possible. Which I bet most reg people agree with, i am used to and don't mind a firmer shift.

00pooterSS 06-12-2019 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Choda (Post 5464140)
I thought I documented this in the 8 speed thread but the flare is still there, not as much as stock. My tuner said he likes it tighter than factory but still smooth instead of the typical shift kit kick during every shift at any rpm. When I floor it, it shifts great. I believe I read somewhere that GM does that on purpose to make the 7 shifts as non noticeable to the driver as possible. Which I bet most reg people agree with, i am used to and don't mind a firmer shift.

I haven't been in that thread for a while so I didn't see it. Good to hear that it's better. I wonder if what you consider the flare is the tq management. The tq management is pretty funky on these compared to older transmissions but I agree with your tuner not firming it up too much. The tq management is one of the main items that makes these newer transmissions hold so much more power and last longer. And leaving the adaptives/tq management mostly alone on these is key to them lasting is what my tuner told me. He has many 6 and 8 speeds near or above 1k hp to the tires going on several years of service so I trust what he says. Glad it got better. Did you ever update your trans to the newer fluid that I posted about in the 8 speed post? That supposedly helps quite a bit too.

Sorry if I'm asking redundant questions but I just looked and don't see where you updated info in the 8 speed thread that you and I were talking in before. Maybe there's another thread..?

Choda 06-13-2019 01:25 PM

I did not change the trans fluid yet. I think at 30K I'll change it with the blue fluid and a new filter.

00pooterSS 06-13-2019 09:38 PM

Gotcha. Be interesting to see if that helps.

Choda 06-14-2019 01:56 PM

theres nothing to help. The trans is fine and works like a charm.

00pooterSS 06-14-2019 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Choda (Post 5464140)

00pooterSS: Maybe the updated fluid will help

Originally Posted by Choda (Post 5464275)
theres nothing to help. The trans is fine and works like a charm.

Dude I don't know what your deal is but you're aggravating/confusing as fuck. You've said in different posts for a while now it has a flare and 2 days ago said it's still there but not as bad. I mention a fix and all the sudden it ain't got no problems..

This is after the 8 speed thread where you literally blew me off about the flare only because I don't have an 8 speed transmission in my personal truck as if I have to own one to speak about them.

I don’t know if your transmission is flaring on shifts or if you even know what a flare is, but it’s not normal and it shouldn’t be doing it. So I would say if it has a "flare", there is something to "help"

Choda 06-19-2019 02:42 PM

Let me help you remove the confusion. Factory Transmission tune has shifting flare built into it for "smoothness" so we don't noticed the 7 shifts (confirmed by Atomic). I didn't care for it and asked my tuner if he could remove it and make it feel more like a mild shift kit. He said GM tuned it that way on purpose and he could remove the slow shift/flare but recommended not fully removing it for reg driving parameters. I agreed and he made a slight adjustment to tighten the shifts. At WOT it shifts like most of us think a Tuned transmission should. Changing the fluid to the blue type might impact the way the transmission acts but my tuner and I decided to leave some of the flare in it.

If switching to BLUE makes it feel like a shift kit under reg driving, I'll bring it back to the tuner to have him soften it back up. I don't need/want the typical shift kit feel when cruising around.

I'll post the video I made showing how it shifts at reg driving vs WOT.

00pooterSS 06-19-2019 05:22 PM

No let me help you. None of that is true, there is no built in slip for smoothness with these new transmissions. What you're calling a flare is not a flare. A flare is a slip during the gear change or application of power between clutch application that is evident by a flare of the tachometer during a gear change. That's why it's called a flare is because the tach flares up between gears.

And what you're calling a slip is not a slip, if it slipped, it would flare. It is not flaring. In your video just like in mine you can see on the tach when it commands the gear change because it yanks the tach down immediately. If it was slipping the tach would go UP and then back down. Not down only.

What you're experiencing is the tq management dropping the timing during the gear change. Your transmission and mine drop the timing during the gear change for smoothness. And they are supposed to do that. That is why I was commenting so much in the 8 speed trans post about my transmission because my 6 speed uses the exact same shift technology and does the exact same thing. You can alter the amount of tq management to change how it feels/sounds though. Which is what I did with mine.

You shut me down and didn't want to hear anything because I didn't personally have an 8 speed, otherwise I would have told you all this back then.

If you want it to shift harder, just turn off or reduce the tq management further. But I don't recommend it because it's hard on the trans internals.

00pooterSS 06-19-2019 05:37 PM

I also put in headphones to listen very carefully and watched the tach. I do not see or hear any flare.

I'm a tech by trade and have been for 20 years, I've experienced (felt and heard) flares many many times in my career and the absolute best I can tell without being in your truck you do not have a flare.

I will say that the tq management dropping timing during the shifts and making that crazy sound through the exhaust makes many people think there is a problem, but it's just the tq management. I personally love it on mine because my exhaust makes a pretty nasty sound during light throttle gear changes (nasty in a good way)

There are videos on youtube showing flare if you want to see it, you'll see the tach free rev up during the shift then come back down.

Choda 06-20-2019 09:30 AM

What I'm calling a flare or slip is most noticeable at 18 seconds. I didn't mention exhaust noise. My truck 100% revs up a little bit in the shift. The tach increases before the shift is completed. I guess I could take another video of it if you want but I'm pretty sure I know how my truck drives.

Back on topic of how much I love my truck - taking the guys wheeling this weekend and loading up about 8K behind the truck.