PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

2004 Silverado: 4.3L to SBC swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 11:55 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thunder550
In AZ, all OBDII vehicles are just a computer check and maybe a visual inspection. I have passed smog with my old Radix, long tubes and no cats once and with my turbo kit once. As long as his OBDII readiness tests are passed and there are no emissions related codes he will be fine. This year when I went they didn't even pop my hood
i understand that which is here as well. but im just saying as its a generation motor that never came in this bodystyle thats all. and im aware of anything given right person can get stickers. just was curious being its a GenI motor in a GenIII truck. I didnt think you were allowed to step back in time with motors and still be legal. Or least thats law here
Old 09-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow Dare to be different, hope it all comes togather for ya, runs well... A touch of ole school in new bones... Keep us posted

John
Old 09-07-2008, 03:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 7845
i understand that which is here as well. but im just saying as its a generation motor that never came in this bodystyle thats all. and im aware of anything given right person can get stickers. just was curious being its a GenI motor in a GenIII truck. I didnt think you were allowed to step back in time with motors and still be legal. Or least thats law here

You could still get the Vortec SB's in these trucks till 2000 and I think even 2001or2 in the van chassis. I know his truck is 04 but I don't think you would have a problem with it unless you took it some where that was VERY strict on emissions. If it passes a OBDII test, sniffer test and has cats, I think you could register it pretty much any ware.

Now if he ripped all the EFI stuff off and put a carb and HEI with long tubes and no cats, that would be another story. But seeing how he is using pretty much all factory equipment I don't think there would ever be an issue of it.

Last edited by kbracing96; 09-07-2008 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually yea.

Day 2. Sept 07,08:

It's not 100% bolted in... lets call it 80%

I didn't have any intention to get the motor in today, but my buddy and I watched this little cloud directly above us balloon into a massive thunderstorm and we got the engine sitting in the engine bay just as it started to down pour.

The engine isn't completely on it's mount brackets. I have a feeling the trans slid forward in it's elongated slot on the cross member, enough to misalign the motor mounts up front. And the engine will sit 1.5" lower once it's completely on the mount brackets.

I've got a couple more bell housing bolts to tackle, they needed to be changed out from metric bolts to 3/8" course. The TC needs to get bolted to the flex, started motor bolted up. Needed new starter bolts, from metric to standard.

Still need to finish wiring in the new fuel injection harness and plug in every sensor harness.

And,The K&N FIPK for 4.3L did not need to get modified at all to fit on the V8

We also mounted the secondary trans cooler. Yes I know, I have some aligning to do... of the bumper cover and the cooler.

Cheers ~Mykk
Old 09-07-2008, 11:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Lookin good Mykk
Old 09-08-2008, 12:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Question. Where are you getting you ECT (engine coolant temp) input from for you PCM? Are you using a sensor in the head? I ask because all of the L31's I've seen, used the sensor in the thermostat location, but you have that port plugged.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:18 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Whippled2dr
Question. Where are you getting you ECT (engine coolant temp) input from for you PCM? Are you using a sensor in the head? I ask because all of the L31's I've seen, used the sensor in the thermostat location, but you have that port plugged.
Yes, I transferred the coolant temp sensor from the head of the 4.3L over to the head of SBC.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 04SilveradoMykk
Yes, I transferred the coolant temp sensor from the head of the 4.3L over to the head of SBC.
Thats what I figured. Do you think it is better in the head over the spot in the intake manifold? On my engine the sensor in the head goes to the dummy gauge in the instrument cluster.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

This has got to be one of the coolest swaps I've seen so far. But man, that old 350 just looks weird in there!
Old 09-08-2008, 12:50 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very cool, I've been following your engine build so I'm very interested in the swap too That small block looks right at home in there

Quick Reply: 2004 Silverado: 4.3L to SBC swap