PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

2002 S-10 5.3L Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 11:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The truck ran a 13.9 @ 100 with a 2.3 60' earlier this year in 3400+DA and that was on a stock 5.3l tune.

The first round of parts was the rear axle... I pulled it out and painted it. Pulled the nasty 4 in ch blocks out and did belltech 3" leafs and a set of billet steel .5" blocks and a set of caltracs

Then I went ahead and added a larger tru-cool transmission cooler.

Then went ahead and added UMI tubular UCA to go along with the lower DJM tubular LCAs that have been on the truck for 3 years... I also replaced the swaybar bushings, endlinks, and the LCA bushings with all polyurethane.

Then the fun part... 2 years ago when I did the 5.3L swap I rebuilt the factory 65e with all the good parts.... the only thing that is not done is the 300m input and output shafts.

Trans out and new TCS 300M 3000 converter in

Then test fitting the damn longtubes... they were actually easier to install than I thought.

Here you can see the new polished stainless and borgeson ujoint steering shaft I made to gain more clearance from the headers

Then did a bit of work on the driveshaft a few replacement parts and its back in.... you can also see the teflon linder stainless fuel lines I had made and the heat sleeve over it (which wasn't reallt needed but more of a safety measure.

Also had to cover the shift cable from harms way... LOL

Also changed over to the newer 09+ waterpump to gain clearance to run the intake tube over the hoses.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Then we loaded her up on my new rollback trailer and off to my dads best friends hot rod shop to fab the exhaust. All the exhaust is 3" 304L stainless mandrel bent. And also to make the new tubular transmission crossmember to clear the new headers.

And yes he can weld.

pics of George working on the exhaust

Completed pics of the exhaust. the hangers are threaded so I can fully adjust how the exhaust sits up and down and side to side

Now the exhaust actually sit dead even with the back of the rollpan. You can also see the new rancho RS9000XL adjustable rear shocks.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The battery is currently relocated to the bed and looks like absolute garbage so I bought kick *** optima battery box. Here is a few pics after powdercoating. Also had the crossmember powder coated.

New battery distribution blocks, terminals, and marine double wall adhesive lined heat shrink. Just waiting on the new 1/0 cable.

Also installing a new NGK AFX wideband and already installed the autometer electric fuel pressure gauge.

And installed a new catch can.

Also have a back up in case the Ranchos dont track well.

more progress to come. I pick up the headers from ceramic coating on Friday and I should have it back on the road with the wideband hooked up and the laptop logging and tuning with Zippy over on SSS.com

Best part of all this is this is my wifes toy...LMFAO!!!
Old 09-01-2011, 06:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that **** is SEXAY!!!! you did it right man...im glad you stuck with a nice set of rims vs 20s an blah blah.

Also dont take it that i was rushing you, i was just giving you a hard time

Any pics of the actual engine swap with some details to things you had to modify?
Old 09-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Man Motor club

Sweet ride definitely agree with niff on the big wheels and clean build
Old 09-01-2011, 01:59 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talk about done right, makes my work look like ****.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iamkeniff
that **** is SEXAY!!!! you did it right man...im glad you stuck with a nice set of rims vs 20s an blah blah.

Also dont take it that i was rushing you, i was just giving you a hard time

Any pics of the actual engine swap with some details to things you had to modify?

I can get you a few pics.

The only items I purchased were CPW engine mounts and now the BRP headers...everything else for the swap I built.

The only real fitment modifications was cutting the climate control box and fiberglassing it so the rear most coil would fit. Also cut and notched the frame horn to fit the truck A/C compressor. I can get you a few pics of those and a few others from the swap if you would like.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats one clean setup
Old 09-01-2011, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks guys... I got bored with working on silverados because they have become very very easy to work on... even the hardest blower/nitrous stuff became boring except for the really intricate stuff like 2BFAST's truck.... Now this little thing is a PITA.... you get cuts on your hands just by looking at it LOL... But I really do enjoy working on it because it is a challenge.

This winter I have a few more things up my sleeve... rear axle is changing with disc brakes, hydro boost, and larger front brakes, and going to coil overs all the way around hopefully. Wanting more of the pro-touring type rig... The wifes other toy will be coming to the house next week and I will post pics of it when it arrives... I'm super excited at that!
Old 09-01-2011, 06:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im going to keep the high mount compressor on mine with stock manifolds i think. I dont wanna pull past 6300 rpms simply bc itll be a tame street ride plus a wt. What oil pan are you running or did you notch the crossmember to allow the pan to "fit"

I cant wait to see more updates on this!

Quick Reply: 2002 S-10 5.3L Upgrades