PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

1993 Chevy C1500 RCSB - 5.3L/4L60E - Then 'till Now.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 01:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's cool. I'm doing the same thing to a 93 right now. I'm on a phone so I can't really tell Wats up with ur cluster. But is that the cluster from the 93?
Old 11-29-2011, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ready to wire my truck up???
Old 11-29-2011, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice truck man.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:03 PM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 1996 Chevy Tahoe and I want to do a similar swap with it. I am not sure if I am going to do a LS1 or a LQ9 with a cam. How long did it take to do the swap from beginning to end roughly? I was thinking about taking or shipping my truck to Nelson and have them swap it for me but if I had someone that had done the swap and it could be knocked out in a weekend I would get all the stuff needed to wrap it up and do it. But no one around here have done it. Maybe if you want some help to fund your FI project I could come down for a weekend and we could knock out the swap over a weekend. Just a thought.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What all did you need 2 complete the swap. Im thinkin bout doing the same thing in my 93 c1500 silverado. It has the 350 tbi currently. But i wanna kno did u need to make any changes to mount the 5.3. And what problems did you run in to when swapping it in?
Old 12-08-2023, 07:49 AM
Teching In

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow. It's been eleven years since I posted here.

A lot has changed, but one thing hasnt. The truck is still here. Truth be told its been mostly neglected since this thread was created, but it still drives on occasion. Most recently it sat for a year without moving. I said enough is enough and grabbed some 'new' wheels and tires from a buddy (brand new, sat in a storage room unused for 3 or 4 years and they decided to do something else). Pulled apart the interior and painted the rusty floor, tidied up the brakes, steering, and installed new knock sensors in the 5.3L. Drove it a lot the past couple months. It's doing well.

So whats next.

Well, my buddy supplied me with jackie chan exhaust fan, a TBSS intake, billet TB, a 450 pump, Deka 80 injectors - and then we found a working 4L80E for cheap (like, core price cheap).

I guess you could say things might get serious.

More to come.

The following 5 users liked this post by SimpleGreen:
ALL ULL C (12-08-2023), Bluecollar Hotrods (12-08-2023), Jeff71 (12-08-2023), shakenfake (12-08-2023), wretched73 (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Nice! Thanks for the update.
Old 12-08-2023, 06:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,169 Likes on 890 Posts

Keep posting!
Old 12-11-2023, 08:51 AM
Teching In

So, like I said the other day, the truck saw little to no updates over the last decade other than returning to stock height. Ironically, it's in the plans to lower it (again). Most recently it sat more and more until it was common place to go 6 months at a time without starting the truck. All clear coat and paint on horizontal surfaces has failed. Cab corner on the passenger side showed signs of rot. I pulled the carpet because the windshield and cowl is leaking - I sanded and repainted the interior floor black. It's going to stay bare until I fix the water intrusion. I brought the truck back home and in the last couple of months replaced the door gaskets, repainted the floors, installed a new Cunningham steering shaft, the NBS brake master cylinder that I bought ten years ago, replaced the knock sensors that had rotted out, put in new headlights with new LED bulbs and HD headlight harness. I have done other small items as well. It is a lot nicer to drive now and I have run a couple tanks of gas through it. The tired 4L60E seems to be slipping out of 4th on occasion though.

The turbo is an S480 but that is all I really know about it. The other stuff on the shelf is pretty obvious.

I put a deposit on a Huron Speed V4 T6 turbo kit for an NBS Silverado (group buy). They said the hot side should fit fine with some work on the down pipe. Cold side is a crap shoot but after referencing my buddies turbo NBS I think we can make it work. I am considering splurging and picking up other things from Huron like their entire fuel system for a TBSS (since I already have the intake) - fuel rails, fittings, hoses, boost reference gauge, harness, etc. I want to run their dual 450 billet drop in which is probably overkill for my purposes but the extra pump and all the harnessing will be there if I ever step the power up - and well, buying their kits is convenient.

I need to swap in a 1998 fuel tank. Mine is much too small a hole for dual pumps. In 1998 they moved up to a larger sender assembly. I compared some pumps at Oreillys and found that a '98 tank can accommodate a '99-03 sender assembly - so that means Hurons small neck billet drop in should fit and I can just attach the OBS gauge sender to it.

Transmission is said to work. Thought about throwing a shift kit in it, a filter, and some fresh fluid and seeing how well it does (or doesn't) do.

The other debate we are on right now is - I can throw this onto my bone stock '01 5.3L and let 'er eat, or we also considered picking up another Gen 3 (or Gen 4) 5.3L to freshen up and then put THAT in instead.

NBS radiator and E-fans will happen with all this as well.

Going to build an all new under-hood fuse block system to accommodate the LS needs, fuel pumps, electric fans, and other additions to the truck. Going to use GEP relay blocks that have sealed lids. Should look really nice when complete. Relocating all electronics to the driver side fender so the passenger side will be completely empty for turbo things.

Gotta get the holidays behind me and the turbo kit wont be here until March I guess, so I have time to figure it out. Truck isn't going anywhere.
Old 12-12-2023, 06:33 AM
Teching In

If you click here you can see the spreadsheet where I keep up with parts for the build. There is a tab from everything I did getting it 'back on the road' the last few months, some tabs where I am working out what I want the new fuse blocks to look like, and a couple tabs that cover various parts of the build. The information isn't 100% accurate as I am double checking things right before I order and so some parts / numbers may change at the last minute - and some of these items may not actually be purchased new, just depends on what pops up local as I go.

Anyway - might be handy to someone or help you understand what I'm doing (good or bad, lol).

Quick Reply: 1993 Chevy C1500 RCSB - 5.3L/4L60E - Then 'till Now.