PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   PROJECTS GALLERY (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/projects-gallery-189/)
-   -   03 Sierra Prostreet Paperweight (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/projects-gallery-189/03-sierra-prostreet-paperweight-547255/)

xxch0dyxx 12-29-2016 10:17 PM

03 Sierra Prostreet Turbo Paperweight

3 Attachment(s)
Here goes...

Long time lurker on the forums, short time LSx owner. Mainly been in the 3800 L67 and 3.8l oldschool crowd for the last decade. Own an 85' GN with an L67 swap pushing 600whp on a little 6266. Had been contemplating an LS swap in that for years, but decided to leave it for now and buy a truck.

Last July I purchased a project truck to learn the platform. In reality, I purchased a "great running stock 4.8 truck..." but that was just not the true story. We will not get into that, but feel free to PM me if you're curious.

Onto the build. Really no set goal for the truck, but I would like it to surpass 600whp without really pushing it to the reliable edge. Ideally it will just be a fun driver that can scare a majority of society, and look unique while doing so. If I know me like I think I do, 700whp would be the ideal goal.

So far I have acquired the following list of parts for the build, and plan to start working on it in the next couple months:

-Trucool 47391
-Triple Edge Performance 4L80E
-Precision triple disc 2800-3000
-PT.net crossmember
-PCM of NC 4L80e harness (avoids segment swap)
-Driveshaft (To be purchased after install)

-JY 5.3 getting all new gaskets and cleaned up
-On3 base kit with tiny 70mm (Original setup SOLD)
-Triple 12 215/215 .566/.566(Original setup SOLD)
-TSP 216/220 .600/.600 113 LSA
-PAC-1219 springs
-GM Lifters P/N 12499225
-Stock 7.4 TSP Chromoly (To be purchased)
-ARP P/N 2344110
-OEM Head Gasket P/N 12575329
-OEM P/N 89060413
-GM High Pressure (To be purchased)
-Cloyes Gear & Product C3210

-Ebay generic catch can
-Ebay generic vacuum block
-Dynomax 17224 muffler
-INNOVATE SCG-1 boost controller/wideband gauge(Original setup SOLD)

Installed fuel system
- DW350iL external pump
- Aeromotive pre 100 micron/ 10 micron post filters
- 20g Summit fuel cell
- -8an line from cell to rail
- Aeromotive 13109 FPR (-6 in/out possible bottleneck?)
- Racetronics hotwire
- Siemens Deka 60lb
- Ebay billet rails

- Fbody e-fans
- BPautomotive wire harness

As you can see, I still have a few items left to purchase before I really dig in. Any suggestions, feel free to through them my way if I have yet to purchase it.

Currently dealing with fuel pump issue, as there was water in the tank from a bad Summit seal, and it took out my DW pump that had been sitting with the truck for the last year while diagnosing the water log. Basically, I bought this truck In July of 2015 and have just been acquiring parts since.

While the truck was being transported to my new home in Texas last week, it got hit by a hail storm, which I have to get fixed prior to starting any of the enjoyment. So after that the fun will begin. Will update accordingly.

Couple pics for now:

Attachment 82479

Attachment 82480

Attachment 82481

FFDP 12-29-2016 10:41 PM

Are you on grandprixforums at all?

I've been a member there since 2009 and owned a few 3800's in my time too, great engines and the cars are okay for daily drivers with some get up and go. Couple guys on there have done a few of those odd ball 3800 swaps, like a cressida and twin engine olds cutlass this guy is working on.

I'm curious about the transmission you got and would like to know how it performs as I follow along. Dave is the beez kneez for 4T65e transmissions and I remember reading he's doing 4L60 and 4l80e transmission now too.

xxch0dyxx 12-29-2016 11:06 PM

Ive been around clubgp, gpf, 3800pro forums for years, but not for the last few years. More focused on the LS platform now.

Dave is one of my close friends, so I talk with him on the regular. I do not foresee any issues with the trans ; - )
He has built several for me over the years and my w-body's I have owned, as well as the 4L60 in the GN currently. He also did the L67 swap into the GN years ago.

BigKID 12-30-2016 03:22 PM

I recall seeing this truck on here before and was interested in the backhalf/suspension. Here are the original build threads over on protourning... 2003 gmc sbrc - ratoutahell and CGM... http://customgm.com/index.php?thread...uta-hell.2006/

TXsilverado 12-30-2016 03:25 PM

I have that same tire on my Camaro...looks cool but it's useless with any power. mine are 33x22 and i'm probably going to go down to a 33x17 with a good compound.

xxch0dyxx 12-30-2016 05:05 PM

Thanks BigKID, I refer to those when I need to recall a few details that slip my mind.

I agree on the tires. I actually need to order a new set for the rear now, and debated going to the 17's as well. The hostage wheels arent too pricey, just trying to get the truck back on the road before I decide.

My new pump showed up today, but they sent the DW300 instead of the DW350iL. Looks like I will be playing the waiting game another week to see if it fixes my issue.

xxch0dyxx 01-05-2017 05:50 PM

The correct new pump showed up. Got it installed and dialed back into 58psi idle pressure.

Apparently I have a short somewhere within the radio/chime, so I'm going to dive into that next. My brand new battery was dead after only 2 weeks of sitting...

After radio, off to the body shop to fix the hail damage from the trip down. Slow and steady.

Debating a TMS or ATK longblock while I do all the turbo fun, but haven't decided if I just want to beat on the stock 4.8 first. Thought?

FFDP 01-05-2017 11:05 PM

Make the 4.8 worth your time. They love boost and will handle a good amount of power. Enough to have fun with and do burnouts.

xxch0dyxx 01-06-2017 04:06 PM

Well, drove the truck down the road for the first time in 1.5yr.... Tires are shot for sure.

Removed radio fuse until I can hunt down whatever is killing the battery.

Going to tune the fans, and remove the evap codes, then try to figure out why there are a few misfires still looming. Will decide whether to turbo the 4.8 after that.

xxch0dyxx 01-07-2017 06:42 PM

E-fans are now tuned and got evap codes removed. I will likely tweak the fan on temps as I drive it more.

Removing the radio fuse yesterday seemed to work, as the truck fired right up this morning without needing a jump like yesterday. My LTFT's are pegged at -16.4 even though it is basically a stock truck with aftermarket fuel system. Going to get these dialed in and decide my next move while its at the body shop...

xxch0dyxx 01-08-2017 11:38 AM

Well... took it for a mile drive, and now I am seeing extreme misfires like it was before. I am talking counts over 100. Pretty much dead cylinders. I can post logs and tune if anyone is interested in seeing. Pre-drive, ran great in driveway. Post-drive, barely wants to idle in garage. Was a simple cruise around my block and back. This is very similar to the issue the truck had prior to the complete fuel system revamp. Only doesnt explain why it ran great up until I drove it...

terravast4 01-08-2017 01:30 PM

that back end and fuel cell look awesome. thats exactly what id like to do

xxch0dyxx 01-08-2017 01:59 PM

It's not exactly ideal the way they cut up the bed on this one. If I can ever get the truck back to ideal running condition, I will begin fixing the little issues like that. For now, I continue to chase my tail.

FFDP 01-08-2017 05:26 PM

Sure, post the logs and tune. If they are HPT I can view them.

xxch0dyxx 01-08-2017 05:38 PM

4 Attachment(s)
The "new FP" log is pre drive once I dialed in FP to 58psi. The other 2 logs are after the drive now that it has misfiring everywhere.

Tune (E-fans and Evap removal, all else should be stock).

I havent pulled the plugs yet today, but I changed them back in May (the truck has been sitting since May, just got transported to TX 2 weeks ago).

I plan to pull a few plugs and check them out. Stock injectors looked clean when I put the rails on. I have 60# injectors waiting for the turbo install, I just havent installed them because I didnt get the injector tables with them like some of the better vendors send with them. They are Siemens Deka 60#, and require the harness adapters.

Thoughts?

xxch0dyxx 01-13-2017 05:47 PM

Couple quick notes:

Cylinder 7 is the only cylinder that hasnt misfired through all of this. Cly 2 is a close second with only a couple. All other cylinders are basically misfiring at will.

Noticed my ignition voltage was lower on my scan today, like dipping into the 12's. An hour after shutting the engine down, the Alt was still hot as hell. An hour after that, still hot. So the alt is coming out for an HO. Now that I have e-fans, probably better to upgrade it anyways.

All that being said, the alt going out will not fix the misfiring issues. Pulled a couple plugs, just had a fuel smell and slightly wet, what I expected. No other signs of anything. Still at square 1. Going to pull the new fuel filters tomorrow if I have time to check them out.

xxch0dyxx 01-20-2017 03:33 PM

Decided to order an LM7 takeout from LKQ for the truck. Figured I can install everything on the stand, mount it to 80e, and drop it all in at once. Might need to buy new headstuds, since the ones I purchase were 3 length.

I did install the new Alt, still having misfires as expected. Far less than the 1st log posted, but steady misfires. I am going to add a 4ga ground to the block and triple check the frame ground as well for cheap assurance. Still trying to find the issue with 4.8 because Im keeping it to build for another project that I have down the road. Ordered a spark checker as well, as i lost my old one when moving.

Blown06 01-21-2017 12:38 AM

What did LKQ charge you for the LM7? Did they give you a mileage or any details on it?

xxch0dyxx 01-21-2017 08:54 AM

130k on the clock, they had pics of the donor vehicle as well. 6mo or 6k warranty, whichever comes first. The 6.0's are ridiculous the prices they want for anything under 200k... 1500 is the lowest I could find. Ill wait until I buy a built block over spending that for JY grab.

Was 600 picked up, no core charge. Going to have a buddy grab it for me Monday. Triple Edge Performance is going to replace all the gaskets, check bearings, cam, studs, and possibly throw some ported 317s on. Then freight it to me with my 4L80e/TC so I can drop it all in at the same time.

In the mean time, I am still chasing the 4.8 ghost. Checked/added another 4ga ground last night, didnt help. Ordered a crank sensor to try as well.

TXsilverado 01-21-2017 09:09 AM

I tried dropping a motor and trans together on a 01 silverado unsucessfully. It was easier to do them seperately. Not saying it cannot be done.

xxch0dyxx 01-21-2017 10:33 AM

Was hoping it would make it easier... sounds like I may need to rethink that plan of attack now. I will likely have most of the front end off at the time.

Tig 01-21-2017 06:35 PM

Love this truck, remember it from P-T.com

Lookin forward to your updates. Definitely post pics to.

xxch0dyxx 01-22-2017 11:27 AM

Will have some pics once the engine and trans show up and I start doing something of value. Hopefully the truck will be driveable before summer...

xxch0dyxx 01-23-2017 08:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, had the engine picked up and taken to Triple Edge Performance today. Going to have them look it over, install my Triple 12, studs, melling 10295, and all new gaskets. Then freight it to me with my 4L80e and Precision TC. Anything I am missing? Trunion setup?

For now I wait... And I am going to try a new crank sensor on the 4.8 to see if that helps. Time is hard to come by, so hoping to have that done by the weekend.

Also chasing some current draw from an unknown source. Radio fuse is already pulled, but I am going to hookup the DMM to the battery and start pulling fuses until I can find the source. Then I will try to rectify that issue as well. Seems like im always moving backwards, never in the right direction:bang:

DW also called me back today about my suspect DW350iL issue I had. They are going to warranty out the pump and send me a brand new one. Even though I already bought one local, I will either keep this for future use, or sell it for some other random parts.

Staying the course, wasting the money, enjoying the hate.

1FastBrick 01-23-2017 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by xxch0dyxx (Post 5395657)
Well, had the engine picked up and taken to Triple Edge Performance today. Going to have them look it over, install my Triple 12, studs, melling 10295, and all new gaskets. Then freight it to me with my 4L80e and Precision TC. Anything I am missing? Trunion setup?

For now I wait... And I am going to try a new crank sensor on the 4.8 to see if that helps. Time is hard to come by, so hoping to have that done by the weekend.

Also chasing some current draw from an unknown source. Radio fuse is already pulled, but I am going to hookup the DMM to the battery and start pulling fuses until I can find the source. Then I will try to rectify that issue as well. Seems like im always moving backwards, never in the right direction:bang:

DW also called me back today about my suspect DW350iL issue I had. They are going to warranty out the pump and send me a brand new one. Even though I already bought one local, I will either keep this for future use, or sell it for some other random parts.

Staying the course, wasting the money, enjoying the hate.

:funny::rotflmao:

Usually it's aftermarket Radio Equipment and aftermarket alarms/ remote starts that cause it.

Check anything aftermarket first. :cheers:

xxch0dyxx 01-24-2017 07:04 AM

Yea, I wiped out the AM radio first, but that guess was wrong. Truck does have AM alarm and remote start, so I think your point in valid. Going to check it during the hunt. Hopefully make some progress.

TXsilverado 01-24-2017 07:49 AM

Aftermarket Remote start causes more headaches than hangovers.

xxch0dyxx 01-24-2017 06:32 PM

Still being a ghost whisperer tonight...
When I rev the engine to right around 2k, it then drops a cylinder... But if I rev it and hold at right around 3k, it stays solid. So it is breaking up much more right around 2k. You can hear/feel it literally drop a cylinder at that rpm. Also unplugged the MAF sensor and it ran basically identical as plugged in.

Obviously when it is just at idle and has the random missing, you can tell it isn't running 100%, but I think the 2k drop might be something to help diagnose?? Thoughts?

My new crank sensor and spark checker showed up tonight, will try to get them installed this weekend to see if anything changes. If no change, I might swap in my 60# Siemens to rule out injectors. Running out of things to try, but still have a minor hope to figure it out before the 5.3 arrives.

TXsilverado 01-24-2017 07:11 PM

when you swapped cams, did you re-use the cam gear that came from your motor?

Choda 01-24-2017 07:38 PM

Interesting username lol

xxch0dyxx 01-24-2017 08:41 PM

Engine is a stock 4.8 with upgraded fuel setup. Engine has not even been opened yet. I have the cam, and new timing chain, but i was waiting to install until I got everything dialed in.

Username... It is an old gamer tag that stuck with me on a few forums. You can relate closely, haha

justiz00 01-27-2017 01:09 PM

It may be a similar problem to the one in this thread. Plausible since only the fuel system is different.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...er-wtf-544978/

xxch0dyxx 01-27-2017 04:58 PM

Ive read through that thread. It is on the agenda if my new crank sensor or injectors does not rectify the issue at all.

Blown06 01-28-2017 01:43 AM

What does the "paperweight" comment in the title refer to? I'm a little confused as parts of the build look like reducing weight was the goal....but that would be a "feather weight" right? Paperweights are intentionally heavy, or maybe you said "paperweight" cause it is heavy??? If this is a light weight build and I missed it, what did the truck end up weighing?

TXsilverado 01-28-2017 09:48 AM

Pretty sure he called it a paperweight because its just sitting due to it being an unfinished project that doesnt run right.

xxch0dyxx 01-28-2017 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Blown06 (Post 5396150)
What does the "paperweight" comment in the title refer to? I'm a little confused as parts of the build look like reducing weight was the goal....but that would be a "feather weight" right? Paperweights are intentionally heavy, or maybe you said "paperweight" cause it is heavy??? If this is a light weight build and I missed it, what did the truck end up weighing?

TXsilverado is correct. It has been a paperweight for a year and a half, thus the name.

Looking over the scans again, I am lost as to why my trims would peg -16.4 with an otherwise stock setup. Seems like something is amiss there. I am going to hookup the scanner later, reset trims, and turn off closed loop to keep it at 0. Just to see how it runs.

Clift notes: Truck had misfires issues that could NOT be figure out, took to shop. Shop figures out there is water in fuel cell(only piece of fuel system I did not replace). Replace fuel cell, truck ran like stock. Truck ran fine when it was pulled onto a trailer to haul down to TX. When it got to TX to be pulled off, misfires and sputtering. I found the FP to be faulty and figured it was the root cause... drove fine down the road (.5mi) once replaced, then started acting up pulling back in the driveway. Basically where it sits currently.

Blown06 01-29-2017 12:58 AM

I see. Man that sucks.....but then again, I'm the poster boy to owning a "paperweight" lol

xxch0dyxx 01-29-2017 12:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And the plot thickens...

Was out scanning and messing with closed loop/trims. I wanted to leave the truck running long enough to hit 200* to make sure my e-fans would turn on like they should (never verified after adding them and tuning). All worked as planned.

Put the truck in gear and footbraked it to see if the missing remained, it did not. So I took it for a short drive, everything felt and acted normal without misfiring. Park it in driveway, and have misfires again. So it is only when the truck is in Park/Neutral that it is having bad misfires. The rpm dip at ~2k has now stopped as well. Not really sure what this tells me, thoughts?

When I got into the gas a couple times in the log, appears as though the truck goes extremely lean, even saw a blip of KR once. I need to drive it a bit to let the trims learn. Pump is new, but the bad one may have left some fun for me to find in the post filter. Entire fuel system is new.

Here is the log for your viewing pleasure. I am....perplexed

xxch0dyxx 02-01-2017 03:55 PM

Sold the On3 kit today, should have it shipped out Monday.

Going to concentrate on getting the 4L80e in, as well as the 5.3 when they arrive. Get those dialed in, and then figure out what kit I want to go with after that.

Put about 10mi on the truck since it started acting better. Drives like you would expect in gear, some slight misses at throttle decal. If she makes it, will be going to the body shop this weekend to get the hail damage fixed. Pics to come if so...

Found a leaky rear axle seal while rolling around under the truck looking over fuel system. So I will need to figure out a P/N for that in the near future to take care of as well.

GMCtrk 02-01-2017 04:21 PM

With a cam, misfire detection should be deactivated below 1500 rpm.

Are you actually documenting misfires or is it just a flashing CEL?