NITROUS OXIDE System Designs | Installation| Wet/Dry/Direct Port

Why does everyone here hate the zex kit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by iregret
That's not how the kit on my Uncles Nova worked. It had a button on the shifter ****. You armed it, floored it, and pushed the button.
It all depends on how you prefer to wire it. WOT switch is the way to go
Old 08-01-2013, 12:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone hates zex kits because that's all mustang owners use : jest: I have seen them with sticky noids too
Old 08-01-2013, 01:09 PM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

because everything is purple.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
because everything is purple.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I prefer the button over the wide open switch simply because of traction on the street. If I come out hard and hook up, I grab the kit. If I spin, I don't have to worry about the kit activating every time I try to go WOT. I can make sure its planted before the kit comes on. It's just a personal preference. At the track, I prefer a WOT switch. If I'm on my 2 stage, I'll have the first kit on the WOT switch and the second kit on my button........Only use it if I need it.

Zex kits are just not as good of quality as the rest of the kits available for these trucks............It's just a fact proven by many users over the years. Like anything, there are some that have had success with them. But try to look up negatives for the other kits and you won't find many.....if any.

Last edited by TXsilverado; 08-01-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:27 PM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by slowprocess
I prefer the button over the wide open switch simply because of traction on the street. If I come out hard and hook up, I grab the kit. If I spin, I don't have to worry about the kit activating every time I try to go WOT. I can make sure its planted before the kit comes on. It's just a personal preference. At the track, I prefer a WOT switch. If I'm on my 2 stage, I'll have the first kit on the WOT switch and the second kit on my button........Only use it if I need it.

Zex kits are just not as good of quality as the rest of the kits available for these trucks............It's just a fact proven by many users over the years. Like anything, there are some that have had success with them. But try to look up negatives for the other kits and you won't find many.....if any.
i did the same, but just hit the activation switch if i hooked. same principle. WOT switch was already hit, the solenoids just needed power.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

2 stage???? Come on now, put a real tire on that and hit it all at once.. Lol
Old 08-01-2013, 05:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirt track racer 81
2 stage???? Come on now, put a real tire on that and hit it all at once.. Lol
Touche.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I have used the Zex box on my truck it worked great and very easy to setup. I recommend the NX proton kit over it but nothing wrong with it. They do have small solenoids so don't plan on getting a full shot past the 125 mark as they just can't flow enough. But for a budget and just for a temporary setup I'd say go for it. But like I said if you can spend the little bit extra cash get the new improved NX proton system. Both work and wire up the same.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

You need a FJO or equivalent controller that is rpm and tps based. They work great and would solve all your problems and be safer in the long run for you too. If your not familiar with a fjo it basicly pulses your solenoids to shoot a progressive amount of nitrous as in in first gear it shoot a 50 shot or between certain rpms it shoots a small shot and ramps up as your rpms go up and when you hit the next gear it's 100% and so on. Great stuff.

Quick Reply: Why does everyone here hate the zex kit?