NITROUS OXIDE System Designs | Installation| Wet/Dry/Direct Port

New to nitrous, please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 02:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, that sounds good, gives me a direction to go in right now. I run the #5 pill in the msd box so i need to get ahold of them and see what changes are made by changing pills. With this set up we are spinning up to 8300 rpm depending on the gear we pull in. Is that going to have an effect on the way it works.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:21 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian_17
Probably gonna run the tr6 plug. That is what i have been reading works good. What would you recomend? Also I am trying to figure out my timming. I am running the msd coil control box and they supply me with timming pills. I need to contact them for thier input. This engine has an edlebrock victor jr manifold and holley carb, so all my tunning is done through the msd box.
are you referring to the MSD 6010 ignition control system for carb setups? if so you need to spend 20 bux and invest in the data cable to set up a custom timing curve...OR it has a built in delay box that you can wire to your nitrous arming switch. basically when you arm the nitrous, your ignition controller will automatically pull the preset timing that you tell it to.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
MSD makes a timing retard box with a dial on it.. Might wanna look into that?
Dial back 1* per 25 shot under 100 shot, and 2* per 25 shot above 100 shot. i think is the rule of thumb.

So if your gonna run a 100 shot, pull 4* timing and start from there. if your gonna run a 150 shot, you pull 8* timing, 200 shot you pull 12* timing.That is, if your current timing isnt knocking/pinging.

and up to a 125-150 shot TR6 will work.. It is suggested to run br7ef (non projected) plugs for 150+
if he has the MSD 6010 he has a built in timing retard. if he has the edelbrock control unit i have no clue what he has. you're alot more conservative on your nitrous timing than me reading the plugs is the final solution in the end.

i would recomend a non projected plug no matter what size the shot runs although i ran TR6 for years without any problems.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To an extent it is.. id short shift it around 6500 on spray and work it back up.

I cant find any info on the timing numbers for each pill.

can you program that ign box with your own curve?
Old 06-20-2012, 02:34 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Only with an LS engine can you call a stock bottom, cast parts, powdered metal rods and hypereutectic aluminum pistons rotating assembly a 'built motor'.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
if he has the MSD 6010 he has a built in timing retard. if he has the edelbrock control unit i have no clue what he has. you're alot more conservative on your nitrous timing than me reading the plugs is the final solution in the end.

i would recomend a non projected plug no matter what size the shot runs although i ran TR6 for years without any problems.
Thats just the rule of thumb to start with on the conservative side, if the timing is good for N/A.
Seems to work, i used it for a 250 shot on a 4.8, and its still running
runs like crap on motor, but on nitrous good gosh.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
To an extent it is.. id short shift it around 6500 on spray and work it back up.

I cant find any info on the timing numbers for each pill.

can you program that ign box with your own curve?
with the MSD you can. i dont think you can with the edelbrock...in his original post he says he has the edelbrock/msd which arent the same piece.

with the MSD you can create your own timing curve based on RPM and/or MAP readings with a laptop. pretty damn cool. i cant wait to start tuning with mine.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:46 PM
Teching In

lets just say that around here with what we do that is considered built. Call it what your want lol.
Not real sure on the msd box, it has a edlebrock sticker on it. I believe it might be similar to the msd 6ls box but not sure i am waiting to hear back from msd about it.
I don't shift going down the track, I pull 300ft low range 2nd gear with a standard 4 speed tranny.
Thanks for all you help, like i said knida new to this end of it and trying to learn. hoping to have a 6.0 on the stand to do a "real build" if you wanna call it that. We are the first guys around here playing with the ls engines in this stuff, everyone we pull against runs the old 383,400, 434 sb stuff. So as you can see the info we are working with is from this site and ls1tech also.
Again thanks for all your input
Old 06-20-2012, 07:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bmd_CL
what do you mean by a built 4.8?
right lol
Old 06-26-2012, 08:12 AM
Teching In

Well the coil control box I have is only good if you dont want to tune with it. So I will be ordering an MSD 6010 to be able to do more with. Are the BR7EF plugs good for under 150 also? If so I will just get those and put them in. Going to be changing carbs to a quick fuel 850, and see where we end up. We are pulling with a 4 speed standard so I cannot shift during the pull thats why i was asking about how to actuate the solenoid, if I do a wot swtich I will already be spinning close to 8000rpm, Is there something out there that can actuat it at say 6500? Or am I better to use a button in this application. Again thank you guys for all your input.

Quick Reply: New to nitrous, please help