NITROUS OXIDE System Designs | Installation| Wet/Dry/Direct Port

n2o instead of a blower / turbo - Why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 11:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default n2o instead of a blower / turbo - Why?

Very curious here - why did you all choose n20 over saving for a bit and installing a blower?

Now, I know - up front costs and install is much cheaper but when you take into account the refills, tuning, etc. your eventually going to bypass the cost of a Radix. And with the radix you have that power all day, everyday, forever. Its not on / off. And wear and tear on a motor, from what I gather, is much higher. I see semi pro racers that used to tear down their mills several times a season with n20, switched to a turbo and run quicker and no longer blow up as many engines, fewer rebuilds, fewer issues with piston replacement, etc - I see and hear this comment all the time on TV when watching pro-mod stuff and interviewers bring it up "So, what made your team switch to FI from n2o?".

I've read a bit and also gather that FI is much less brutal on a motor, something about n2o fighting against the piston or rotation? (dunno, this is why I ask this), burned pistons, etc. whereas FI rolls "with" it?

So please, tell me why you chose n2o over FI....sell me on it. Potential for blowing up a motor, a noid failing, tuning, having to refill, power is not ALWAYS on tap.....seems there is a lot to be had with n2o but MUCH bigger potential for a failure, engine damage, etc.

I ask this because I am at a crossroads with my truck and with my Chevelle (building a pro-touring car) and I want a little something on top of the NA power my 427 BB will put out. Tired of NA all together, im going into "cheat" mode.

Edumicate me, please.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:59 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I can only give my opinion as I dont have eigther yet Personally I would perfer a Radix, and plan to get one one day. However I will more than likely get N2O first for teh simple fact of the price. And it can also be a good thing to not always have that power Especially for someone like me . But at the same time I want the power at all times. Nitrous is a cheap easy way to add 100-150 HP with out much if any mechanical knowlege needed. For $500 you can add 100 or so HP, where as with a Radix youre looking at close to $5000. You can fill up a lot of nitroug bottles with $4500, and when you dont use it, its just your everyday truck (vehicle) so you arent always burning more gas etc. I know if you drive conservitave you dont have that problem with the supercharger, but its a lot easier to just mash the gas and watch the gas guage drop than it is to open the bottle and floor it. For me I think a Radix will get me in a lot more trouble just from having the power anytime, but given a choice if money didnt matter, Id still go with th eRadix over N2O
Old 12-29-2005, 01:39 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First of all the myth of nitrous being so much harder on the engine is BS after my experience with nitrous. I sprayed 35 bottles thorugh my 175K mile 5.3 engine on a 100 shot it was recently pulled and there is nothing wrong with the motor at all the cylinder walls are perfect and the piston tops are in perfect condition also not melted at all. This was with the tune dialed in perfect too and full bolt ons. Ill take some pics of the motor tonight and post them for you so you can see how clean the motor is. Next nitrous is like you dont even have a power adder on your truck until you flip the switch therefore you ahve no ill effects except burnt up tires when you flip the switch Next FI I dont care what it is or what their claims are it is going to decrease mileage cause you wont be able to keep your foot out of it and keep the computer out of power enrichment mode which basically pours the fuel to the motor and kill mileage. If you run nitrous with all the correct safety equipment you will be fine. Nitrous noids stickign well it happens no doubt baout it but you can run two nitrous noids in line so if one fails the other one will still close and you dont blow your motor which is the best way IMO to do it. Next run a fuel pressure safety switch so if fuel rpessure drops you dotngo lean and blow the motor. Next make sure ur tune is spot on and you dont ahve to worry abotu it. Hit the switch and go thats waht I did and had no problems. I will be goign to the new Whipple 3.3L blower this summer simply because you cant spray a 400 shot on even a forged motor and mak it last. The Whipple will give me that. I am a nitrous junky and love the instant power. Also a blower liek the radix is going to give you alot of off the line power that will go up in smoke on a 2wd with a nitrous kit oyu can run progressive controller to phase int eh nitorus through first to the limit of traction so you are accelerating as fast as your tires will let you. Let me knwo if you ahve any other questions I think I covered everything.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:19 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a question, how bout you send some of that $$$ to me so I can become a Nitrous junkie too
Old 12-30-2005, 04:23 AM
Truck addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in my experience a nitrous car/truck will outrun most FI cars/truck. i haven't sprayed no where near enough bottles to equal the price of a radix. i don't plan on spraying that much either. my motor is strong enough to keep up with a lot of the radix fed trucks alone, then throw gas on top, by by FI truck. not knocking the radix or FI but this was a cheaper alternative to get a power adder. i haven't noticed any long term affect on my engine thus far.

yes, it would be nice to have the extra power at hand all day long but i don't. i'll just have to live with that.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys.

So what I have gathered here (complete noob to n2o, have read the many vendors FAQ's and such, but no real world user experiences other than install questions) is that n2o when set up correctly, all the checks and balances (wot switch, noids, window switch, tuning, etc.) premature engine wear and possible complete destruction are not a concern. When tuned right, you will not sacrifice your stock NA power of the mill. I was also concerned about plugs, gaps, timing, etc. being done to account for the n2o taking away from the NA power of my rig but thats not an issue either. And the advantage of on / off power is that your not going to suck up fuel all day long and decrease mileage.

I may go this route afterall. Truck is not my daily driver but by no means a race truck and I have no plans to go that route. Just a nice street truck and I want a little extra something in it.

Anyone know of a good dyno tune shop in the SF Bay Area? I have the W4ME tune but if I am going to run the n2o I want it tuned on the dyno or a live street tune. I could drive to Nelson from here but the gas spent would damn near equal an STS purchase.

Good info guys, thanks for answering my Q's
Old 12-30-2005, 12:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why either/or? I say both. A 25hp shot of n2o can intercool a s/c and yield maybe 50-75hp.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

my nitrous blazer will easily out run a supercharged s10- i am spraying a 75 shot when i do this i also add about 120 ft. lbs of torque with the nitrous- Plus im in high school so money is a big factor there for nitrous being cheaper- Its also hilarious to see the ricers faces when i purge it- they stop revving there 1.2L VTEC and just go home-

nitrous is fun because you can choose to be leinent with it- you can make the decsion to use it or not- because with a turb/supercharger your always on the pedal because you have the speed there all the time- therefore making the gas station a familiar place 2 be-

but its more on preference than anything-

Nitrous= ability to shut off when ever + lots of cheap HP + lots of torque!!! + ability to use it with a turbo of s/c + PURGE

S/C- Always there- no lag- lots of hp- EXPENSIVE- need to upgrade fuel system 4 sure- AWSOME SOUND

Turbo- Turbo lag- always have it- Expensive- uprgade the fuel system- AWSOME SOUND
Old 12-30-2005, 08:00 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Originally Posted by AintNoHo
Why either/or? I say both. A 25hp shot of n2o can intercool a s/c and yield maybe 50-75hp.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:26 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only reason I wouldn't go for the spray over FI is that the juice isn't there unless you turn the bottle on. It will work just as good if not better than FI if it is tuned correctly and also the motor will still last. My thing is like i said. I would like the positive power of FI there instad of the button. Just my op

Last edited by mangledgmc03; 01-03-2006 at 10:30 AM.

Quick Reply: n2o instead of a blower / turbo - Why?