NITROUS OXIDE System Designs | Installation| Wet/Dry/Direct Port

maximum nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 08:16 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default maximum nitrous

what do i need to do to the motor internally (bolton 5.3L with FLT level5 65e)

i know i will need lots more fuel and possibly a higher octane fuel, but do i need forged pistons or anything

Last edited by nightrunner; 09-15-2006 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:22 PM
Mr. Obvious

i understand that i can run a 150 shot without any problems besides a fuel pump

EDIT: oh and this will have a victor jr. intake
Old 09-15-2006, 08:44 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO the Vic Jr intake is too much for an N/A 5.3. You dont stand to benefit much from it since you wont be flowing much air compared to a boosted/stroked app. Bigger is not always better

150 shot easily on stock pistons, just need to watch out for detonation, one time and bye bye pistons with that amount of nitrous.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:55 PM
Mr. Obvious

it WILL be dyno tuned when nitrous is installed and BEFORE using it

what intake would you suggest for the 5.3 besides the truck intake and i dont want a 90mm throtle body

what will be needed for for say 200-250-300 shot ( what mods are needed to run each level SAFELY) this stuff will be only for the drag strip never on the street
Old 09-15-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for a 200 shot or more i would say a built bottem end, and better heads so you don't flood it with nitrous IMO! I know a guy who ran a 300 shot on a Camaro LS1 with a stock bottem end but i would NEVER suggest it unless you have another motor ready. I wouldn't go more than a 125-150 shot unless you have the money to spend on a new motor just in case!
Old 09-16-2006, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by nightrunner
it WILL be dyno tuned when nitrous is installed and BEFORE using it

what intake would you suggest for the 5.3 besides the truck intake and i dont want a 90mm throtle body

what will be needed for for say 200-250-300 shot ( what mods are needed to run each level SAFELY) this stuff will be only for the drag strip never on the street
First of all having it dyno tuned is great and all but the motor can still detonate EASILY in hot weather, bad gas, if you have the timing pushed to the max the list goes on. You will need to run a timing retarder or have HPT to switch tunes. The bigger the shot the more timing that has to be pulled and if you run that tune N/A its going to be a dog. I ran 32* of advance with a 100 wet shot and didnt have a problem for 35+ bottles but i didnt care if I blew the motor. Why dont you want a 90mm tb? The more air that can get in your motor and out of it the more power you make I would recommend an LS6 intake or the FAST setup with a Nick WIlliams 90mm TB.

With the size shot you are inttending on running you need to realize first there is no such thing as "SAFELY". One hiccup and the motor is gone. 200 is the MAX I would spray if I was concerned about the motor lasting. ANything more than that, and ur just trying to blow the motor up.

You are going to need an inline pump or intank to handle the fueling needs. Invest in a fuel pressure safety switch so you dont go lean. You will need a window switch so you dont spray through the shifts with that much spray.

Are you going to do anything internally to the motor?

I wouldnt bother putting good heads on it cause when you blow the motor its just going to take out some nice heads with it. You realize its not a question of if, but when you blow the 5.3 right? Unless you have the funds for a new motor throw a 150 shot on it and call it good.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you want a motor to hold a 300hp shot all year long, you will need some thick pitons, good rods and an aftermarket crank (definately not Eagle) And of course some good ARP studs and bolts throughout. A stand alone fuel system couldnt hurt also..
Old 09-16-2006, 12:19 PM

There are many guys close the 4 digit hp mark with eagle cranks, even a stock crank can handle 1000hp and eagles are better than stock. Maybe you had a defective one if this is coming form personal experience.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Try running a stock crank on nitrous to 1000 rwhp... You'll snap it like a twig. It can be done with a FI motor, but not nitrous. As far as Eagle goes- if you're one of the lucky ones to get a crank without a out of round journal- you may be in good shape, but with that kind of quality control, i'll spend a few extra bucks on something with a more cleaner record
Old 09-16-2006, 12:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would go with the vic jr . cause you are not n/a with a 150 shout of no2 at the track are on the street you will lose some bottom end yes so the no2 will make up for that and you will have more top end

Quick Reply: maximum nitrous