NITROUS OXIDE System Designs | Installation| Wet/Dry/Direct Port

high miles + nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high miles + nitrous?

okay so i picked up a 2001 1500 extended cab with a 5.3L that has 246000 miles

i am a LT1 guy and this is my first LS motor. i know the last 100k on it has been very well maintained buy my lil brother. the motor has about 50psi oil pressure at idle then little over 60psi when at WOT. also it doesnt have the notorious piston slap on start up that i have heard other LS motors have.

i have sprayed my fair share of nitrous with my LT1 racecar but i dont know anything about this newer style motors.

it has a hypertech tuner on it but i can put the stock tune back in if i need to for better timing maps. but i am wanting to spray a 100 - 150 shot on it ... but like i have said i dont know anything about these motors. high mileage motors are looser generally and seem to do okay with spray but what do you guys say

LM7, ~250k, good oil pressure +a little spray ?
Old 07-25-2016, 03:52 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd say you'd certainly be fine speaying a healthy motor regardless of mileage. I sprayed mine with 150k on it. I'd recommend looking into the IAT relay timing retard trick which I covered in my build thread. This will auto pull timing only when nitrous is sprayed. certainly convenient.

As long as timing is in check and you spray a wet shot I see no reason to not spray.
Also look into a window switch, spray thru shifts will smoked your trans.

I have an entire nitrous setup, with custom wiring harness for sale in classifieds if you do go this route.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've sprayed a 150 shot on my tuned 290k mile motor and plan on doing it again this weekend. I mix in some 110 octane just to be safe though since the timing is bumped up. Like said above though, if it's a healthy engine then get after it. Just be conscious of the octane you use and timing. Miles are relative and most of mine are easy highway miles.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:13 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zooguy94formula
okay so i picked up a 2001 1500 extended cab with a 5.3L that has 246000 miles

i am a LT1 guy and this is my first LS motor. i know the last 100k on it has been very well maintained buy my lil brother. the motor has about 50psi oil pressure at idle then little over 60psi when at WOT. also it doesnt have the notorious piston slap on start up that i have heard other LS motors have.

i have sprayed my fair share of nitrous with my LT1 racecar but i dont know anything about this newer style motors.

it has a hypertech tuner on it but i can put the stock tune back in if i need to for better timing maps. but i am wanting to spray a 100 - 150 shot on it ... but like i have said i dont know anything about these motors. high mileage motors are looser generally and seem to do okay with spray but what do you guys say

LM7, ~250k, good oil pressure +a little spray ?
Nitrous does well with high mileage motors due to them usually having looser ring gap due to more wear. The thing to look for before you add nitrous is oil consumption. As long as the engine is not burning oil you will be in good shape. If it is burning oil that will lead to pre-detonation (or Knock Retard, KR) which will cause damage.

So to re-cap, as long as you are not burning oil then nitrous is a great add on!!