NITROUS OXIDE System Designs | Installation| Wet/Dry/Direct Port

E85 Standalone for nitrous

Old 05-14-2012, 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TrickPerformanceProducts
E85, Methanol will corrode aluminum.
Methanol will just eat through it over time. That stuff is so corrosive.
I had an aluminum plug in a water/meth tank. (stainless steel tank). Water meth was windshield fluid. 2 years later went to take the plug out, sprung a leak. All the threads on the inside were just gone, and the plugs was so thin it had pushed through just taking it out.
Well there went that idea !

Standalone tank is the way to go, so you can run HI octane fuel while on nitrous, but regular while not. And you don't have to replace your stock pump if it can handle the engine alone. Plus you can play with the fuel pressure on the nitrous side of things to get your air fuel while on nitrous dialed in.

Thats what i was thinking about , i have an Aeromotive 1:1 i can use. but now it sounds like im goin with a Poly tank. i never knew it would eat aluminum, thats crazy.

Guess it doesnt hang around in the cylinders long enough to cause problems with Alum heads
Old 05-14-2012, 05:02 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

I flush my standalone with distilled water after I am done messing with the nitrous. Prevents corrosion from the methanol.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

E85, Methanol will corrode aluminum.
Methanol will just eat through it over time. That stuff is so corrosive.
I had an aluminum plug in a water/meth tank. (stainless steel tank). Water meth was windshield fluid. 2 years later went to take the plug out, sprung a leak. All the threads on the inside were just gone, and the plugs was so thin it had pushed through just taking it out.
if your saying e85 is corrosive your full of it... e85 doesnt corrode ****. ive been running it for several years now and it hasnt corroded anything in my fuel system. just let me know if you want a pic of any giving part in my fuel system and it will be had for proof. been running it for around 3 years now with all aluminum fuel fittings,aluminum fuel rails and aluminum fuel regulator and they look as good as brand new when i changed it up this last month. methanol on the other hand is a different story but i dont use it so i wont comment on it.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

I can get 304 or 316 Stainless or some regular old Alum.
Prolly goin with stainless just for the heck of it now.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:06 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by idahoblkss
if your saying e85 is corrosive your full of it... e85 doesnt corrode ****. ive been running it for several years now and it hasnt corroded anything in my fuel system. just let me know if you want a pic of any giving part in my fuel system and it will be had for proof. been running it for around 3 years now with all aluminum fuel fittings,aluminum fuel rails and aluminum fuel regulator and they look as good as brand new when i changed it up this last month. methanol on the other hand is a different story but i dont use it so i wont comment on it.
E85 promotes galvanic corrosion. Alone, it isn't too aggressive. But if you put bare aluminum in contact with bare brass in an alcoholic environment like that of ethanol, expect the aluminum to dissolve away. So saying it is corrosive or not given a certain environment is debatable, as there are many types of corrosion.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

But 316 stainless with stainless fittings.. isnt goin to be corroding any time soon.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:49 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would E85 make as much power as using fuel? How do you calculate how much more alcohol you need to burn to make the same amount of horsepower as high octane fuel?
Old 05-19-2012, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPFD
Would E85 make as much power as using fuel? How do you calculate how much more alcohol you need to burn to make the same amount of horsepower as high octane fuel?
general rule of thumb is about 30% more e85, me personally seems a lil more then that in general. but unless your boosted i wouldnt bother switching to it.